How to Deal

*KT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
"I know I'm pretty without it......but I'm aiming for 'GORGEOUS', so I wear it!"

Bravo.
clap.gif

Briar

When I was in college and started dying my hair and whatnot people used to criticsize me "you had such pretty hair, why'd you dye it", etc. Now that I'm nearly 40 noone questions my wearing makeup, I think its just assumed women my age want to look younger so we wear makeup.

I don't wear makeup to look younger (that's what eye cream is for, haha). I do wear makeup to look "myself". Fun, funky, expressive.

makeba

THAT question could be very annoying coming from someone who is sarcastic. coming from someone who just wants to know and find a method of wearing makeup themselves is okay. My husband was a bit sharp with me one day and said,"You got a real addiction/problem with this makeup thing, why do you wear it?." i simply said, "Same reason why your azz sit around on the same couch, drink bud light and listen to that stupid rap music, cuz you want to."

SparklingWaves

I tell them I wear it, because it's fun and thank them for the compliment about not needing it.
smiles.gif

I am not offended by the question at all.

gigglegirl

What I honestly am buggin' (yea I'll bring that word out of the 90s--gosh I'm lame!) about lately is someone telling me I have enough makeup. My mom asked what I wanted for Christmas--I said gift cards to the Bay which has a MAC counter--in preparation for all the collections coming in the next few months. Well she said she wouldn't because she thinks I have more than enough, that there is only so much makeup needed b/c you only have one face. I see that side of it but I don't have a hobby or collection. I'm a student who's focused on that. I enjoy buying MAC stuff and playing with it. I could have spent an obscene amount of money to go to Bon Jovi concert but as I have little money at the moment decided to not and just treat myself with a new MAC product. I'm trying to be better and not get a lot of similar shades/finishes like things that are nearly indistinguishable between each other.

I have 30 eyeshadow pots, 12 full pigment jars, and 4 mineral eyeshadows. Yes, I have the major colour groups but am always on the lookout for more neutral/work appropriate colours for when I graduate University next year (I cannot pull off Freshwater at work I don't think.....) My mom's not into makeup and thats her choice, I decided this is something I like and she's even occasionally commented on how nice it looks. BAH!

And honestly, its something I enjoy and I don't drink very often or smoke at all so this is my 'fun' and its not going to stop (may slow down some!--my bank balance I'm sure hopes so!)

Sorry just had to vent there....thanks for reading if you have!!

Divinity

WTF2.gif
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say SHE asked YOU what you wanted for Christmas? Why did she ask you if she isn't going to get you what you want?

back2topic.gif
I would thank them and ask them what they felt like playing with their favorite toy growing up and leave it at that.

gigglegirl

LOL I know. She was basically telling me what I wanted (and I'm a nerdy business student so have taken economics and think that a giftcard is the BEST way to maximize my utility--I take great joy in it, can choose exactly what I want instead of getting some kind of sweater or something!). I thought I was being nice--pretty easy to buy a giftcard whereas I'd like a digital camera but need to do my research and wouldn't ask for just any camera as I'm picky. Ugh!

Kiseki

Being a guy, I get this every now and again, most of the time no one notices I'm wearing makeup, unless I'm wearing my beloved black kohls. If I'm being matched at a counter I always have to warn them to take the makeup off, so it's quite the compliment.

But the times I'm asked I usually say "Because I can."

Nox

In writing, the statement looks like a compliment, but I don't know the overtones in which it was said.

But a nice way to get your point is to respond like, "Thank you. I actually prefer to wear makeup though."

You don't have to explain yourself, or justify your position. And you can be pleasant at the same time.

Kiseki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
In writing, the statement looks like a compliment, but I don't know the overtones in which it was said.

But a nice way to get your point is to respond like, "Thank you. I actually prefer to wear makeup though."

You don't have to explain yourself, or justify your position. And you can be pleasant at the same time.

I would get the overtone if it was meant in a less than complimentary way and usually at counters I've never been questioned why I wear makeup.

Usually, the "Because I can." answer is given when I've already given the "Thank you..." one in a previous conversation and it's brought again.

Loveleighe

I usually get this from my family and yes it is annoying but i shut them up when I say thanks but wearing makeup is my choice. I know I am pretty without it but I'm an artist and we live to create. So using my face as a canvas gives me the ability to express my art.