• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

How to: Go From Browns to Brights on a Budget!

gildedangel

So some of you ladies may be wanting to move away from the neutral, natural makeup and want to try brighter colors on your eyes, but maybe you don't know where to start, or maybe you are too afraid of looking strange for making such a big change. This "How To" will give one perspective on how to transition from the neutrals to the brights without having to buy a ton of eyeshadow, in fact you may already have some of these colors!

Something that many people don't realize is that metallics are neutral colors. They really go with almost everything! Here is a picture of my Metallics Quad:

RSCN0790.jpg

This quad contains Goldmine, Silver Ring, Mulch and Coppering.

Any gold, silver, bronze or copper eyeshadows will work. The bronze and copper eyeshadows are less needed, the key ones are the gold and the silver. You may not believe how much use you can get out of these eyeshadows when you pair them with brights. For example below is a picture of this quad with Tilt e/s:

RSCN0792.jpg

See how every color in this quad goes well with Tilt? That right there is 4 color combinations that you can use with one eyeshadow if you have these basic metallics in your collection. Let's try another example:

RSCN0786.jpg

The eyeshadow in the middle is Sushi Flower. See how it to goes with all of the colors? If you have even just a gold and a silver you can tone down the bright color and make it less noticable but still be really fun! And then when you start your brights collection you only have to buy one eyeshadow at a time to have a whole slew of new looks!

RSCN0788.jpg

The metallics with Humid.

RSCN0794.jpg

The metallics with Nocturnelle.

Almost every color can be paired with all four eyeshadows, see? Metallics are a fantastic way to get the most bang for your buck out of your eyeshadow collection, especially if you are on a budget. A gold and a silver can go a long way! I hope that this helps some of you and inspires you to at least think about branching out into the world of brights. I hope you liked it! Comment me below if you liked it or have any suggestions on how to improve it!
smiles.gif

Ode to Joy

gildedangel, I think you should really start a blog or youtube channel. Everytime I read some makeup wisdom here I look to left side for the username and 90% of the time it's you. Not kidding.

If not, I am hope you don't mind some specktra stalking.
sneaky.gif

urock.gif

rimberry

Wow, this is really great. I'm more of a neutral girl and recently have been wanting to try some bright colors, this seems like a great way to start. Thanks!
smiles.gif

gildedangel

Ode to Joy, I don't think that I have enough to say to start my own blog or youtube channel
th_dunno.gif
, but feel free to stalk me on Specktra, and thank you for the wonderful compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimberry
Wow, this is really great. I'm more of a neutral girl and recently have been wanting to try some bright colors, this seems like a great way to start. Thanks!
smiles.gif

I am so glad that I could help you! That is why I am here on Specktra, to help people! Both of these posts absolutely made my day, thank you!

User38

Love your suggestions.. I have one problem which is that many times I work with older clients -- and their eyelids are not in optimal shape.. so some of the metallics don't work for them. I use the shimmer washes from BB and some other private labels which can be used wet or dry which when applied wet can be very sheer.. any other suggestions?
TIA

gildedangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerGreyness
Love your suggestions.. I have one problem which is that many times I work with older clients -- and their eyelids are not in optimal shape.. so some of the metallics don't work for them. I use the shimmer washes from BB and some other private labels which can be used wet or dry which when applied wet can be very sheer.. any other suggestions?
TIA

Hmmmm..... I know that "sparkle" can be hard to do on older skin. I think that sheer is probably the best way to go, but I am not an MA. I think that metallicy eyeshadows with more of a sheen than a sparkle might work, but I don't really have any good suggestions. I'm sorry!

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildedangel
Ode to Joy, I don't think that I have enough to say to start my own blog or youtube channel
th_dunno.gif
, but feel free to stalk me on Specktra, and thank you for the wonderful compliment!

I am so glad that I could help you! That is why I am here on Specktra, to help people! Both of these posts absolutely made my day, thank you!

Great info...and I agree why shouldn't you blog...Trust me there are so many bloggers out there with so much useless nothing to say.....We would love to hear something worthwhile and different.

gildedangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
Great info...and I agree why shouldn't you blog...Trust me there are so many bloggers out there with so much useless nothing to say.....We would love to hear something worthwhile and different.

Really? Would you guys actually read it? (
cry.gif
-
smiles.gif
hybrid) Perhaps I will look into making a blog, it's nice to know that people really value what I have to say about makeup and some of my ideas. I think that I would make it about budgeting makeup and how to get the most bang for your buck out of what you buy, (kinda like this tutorial). If you guys would read it, let me know!
heart.gif

TISH1124

Let me be honest there are very few blogs I follow/read ...because there are 7645346236 zillion beauty blogs. I really open and close them when they are basically just all about the blogger and self promotion...But I do read informative blogs alot. You seem to have great informative info without just persay wanting to be a blogger, just because it's the thing to do..but because you like sharing mu info ...you have always done that on here so I feel it is genuine. Thats just IMO.

gildedangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by elb154
Thanks for the tips. I would read your blog also.

Thanks! I do have blogs now (one beauty, one nail), see my signature or my shameless promotion thread for the links! I am glad that you liked the tutorial!

Latest posts