I am struggling with something...

AudreyNicole

I am struggling with something and would like opinions on it. It may seem so simple, but it's hard for me. I have recently decided that I want to take better care of myself. I have joined Weight Watchers, and have started taking steps to lose weight and lead a more active lifestyle. Since starting with WW, I am finding myself wanting tools to make weightloss easier, like a new ipod, and a new bicycle, etc. Since we all know money doesn't grow on trees, I *think* I am willing to sacrafice some of my makeup collection in order to be able to afford the other things that I want. I have bought alot from recent collections, that I really like, but could definately live without. But I am really struggling with parting with it. I *know* that the other things that I want to buy will benefit me. I *know* I will still have more than enough makeup to last me a lifetime if I sell some off. But it is so hard for me. DH told me that I don't have to sell anything, but I feel like I need to because they are things that *I* want. I know we are all MAC addicts here, and I know you all can understand where I am coming from. I go back and forth... "what if I miss it?" And then I go back to "what good is it sitting in a drawer, used once a month?" I guess I just need the nudge from others who have the same addiction....
*sigh*

Susanne

You could start "new" now without looking back
winks.gif
I mean hold what you already have and enjoy it and choose more carefully what you will get from future collections! This way you don't need to miss anything.

I want to move in summer and have to save some money (of course) so I have decided to pass all these neutral or smaller collections which I do not really like or need. I think you know I will get five big hauls in 2010 with collections I really love. So I can still get my MAC and the money I need for the bigger appartment!

Makeup Emporium

I guess it's all about what you want more. I think it's great that you are doing those things to take better care of yourself (I should do the same). So maybe you need to look at everything and think what is going to make me happy or what will benefit me the most.

There will always be a new MAC collection down the road that you can get. I would say that regardless of how hard it might be that you may have to give up some of your collection to help with your other goals in life!

Good luck to you!

Divinity

Oooh girl I've been there. If you think you can do without and have a similar color in the same product, let it go. I found that when I needed money for a move I had TONS of neutrals and TONS of darks in the lippie arena AND similar purples and pinks in the shadow area. Take a peek at your collection and considering DH says you don't really have to sell anything, make a pile of what you really want to keep, and what you can pass on.

Hope that helps
smiles.gif

AudreyNicole

I definately plan on doing that Susanne. I am really going to choose carefully with the upcoming collections. I did a bit of impulse shopping in the last few months, got caught up in the hype, used a product 1-2x, loved it when I used it, but haven't touched it since. I think it is just wasteful to have things sitting, but at the same time, I worry that I will miss something. When in reality, I probably *won't* miss it. I am going to go through my collection, decide what I really use and love, and part with the things that I don't use enough so that other people can enjoy them. Truth is, MAC repromotes things so often, that I can probably rebuy if I *really* regret selling.

blondie711

I have experienced almost the same exact issue myself, this year. I have to comment & tell you that I understand completely! But a strange thing happened, once I got rid of a few "select" items, I felt liberated (lol). That then turned into getting rid of even more, and it actually became (almost) exciting. I just feel like I have enough for three lifetimes & I just have to much STUFF. I just decided last night that I am ready to get rid of some backups too.
Yes, I still bought 2 items from SF, but now I think more about what I want, and I find I only buy what I know I will use. I bought one liner from TF, in the past I would have had to buy all of them. I just feel like I am still addicted to makeup, but I have some new priorities & they make me feel as good as my MAC does!!
HTH
thmbup.gif

Divinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyNicole
I did a bit of impulse shopping in the last few months, got caught up in the hype, used a product 1-2x, loved it when I used it, but haven't touched it since. I think it is just wasteful to have things sitting, but at the same time, I worry that I will miss something. When in reality, I probably *won't* miss it.

This is why my swap/sale collection is so big.

obscuria

I just experienced this, my dog got sick and so I had some unexpected vet bills and thought that I would sell some stuff just so the bills would not have a financial impact on me.
I'm selling a lot of my stuff and I get the whole "but what if I miss it" thought. But then I just think back to a time where the only make-up I had was 2 or 3 eyeshadows, a blush, foundation, and liner and I felt that was all I need.

I kind of treat it like I do clothes. If I haven't worn it in more than 6 months I can bear to live without it.

euphrosyne_rose

I am on the bandwagon here too with this one. Over the past 2 years I had accumulated tons of stuff (thought not quite what I've seen on here that other people have...my stuff fills a small, shallow drawer) but still I felt like I had all this stuff and only touched more than half of it every so often. It's not that I don't like the stuff but I just don't have enough time in a week to touch it all! I am steadily going through my stuff and adding more and more things to my sale thread all the time. I think (from experience) that we just get caught up in the thrill of it all and go a little crazy sometimes.
shockt.gif

I've been wanting as well to try getting into better shape and eat better and all that and I have really tried hard lately to only buy the things (makeup wise) that I use on a regular basis or that I don't have that's already similar to something else. I think you're on target with your plan to just buy the things you REALLY want and concentrate on your fitness and what you need to make that happen. And I totally agree that MAC will repromote and have collection after collection for ages to come. I would bet that for each thing you "let go of", MAC will no doubt have something similar down the road so if you do find that you are missing something you sold, you'll have the opportunity to get it again. And of course with the unfortunate tendency they have to make things nearly dupable, it'll be even easier for you!
greengrin.gif

InspiredBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne
You could start "new" now without looking back
winks.gif
I mean hold what you already have and enjoy it and choose more carefully what you will get from future collections! This way you don't need to miss anything.

I think this is really good advice. You are doing something great for yourself, wanting to be healthier. Put your energy towards this, and look forward, since you don't need to sell things for purely economical reasons.

AudreyNicole

Thank you all for your kind words. I am feeling better and better about myself, and just like Specktra says on its forum title for the health and wellness boards, "Beauty is more than just makeup." I have things in my collection that I LOVE and USE and fortunately for me, 99% of them are in the permanent line. I am going to do my best from here on out to select carefully, and I won't be buying a bunch of stuff from LE collections until I use some of what I have. I am thinking about enforcing a item limit on future collections, and only allowing myself 2-3 things from each collection. It forces me to be choosy.

2browneyes

This thread is a weight off my back! I've been thinking about how much I have in my collection lateley and how often I use things too. I have a house that I've lived in for almost 5 years and I wanna make a few changes but can't seem to find the $ to do so.....hmmm...... smh I've decided to really buckle down and get a grip on my spending. Like a few of you ladies said, it's all about choosing carefully. MAC does repromote things often (dirty plum, free to be, etc are prime examples) so if I do miss out on something, I'm sure it'll be back soon enough. Or someone else will tire of theirs and sell it and maybe I'll have a chance to buy. That's why I love the sale/swap section
love.gif
Then, there's always the CCO. I live about 45 mins to an hr away from the nearest CCO and there's another not far from me as well. Patience is something I'm learning to cultivate because soon enough, much of the collections I may miss will be available there. It's great to have voices of reason here, despite our addiction...
smiles.gif

DonnaN

Audrey, I really have to thank you for this thread. I too have been purchasing way too much lately...I don't know if it's HYPE of all of the collections or what, but it has gotten SERIOUSLY out of hand! It seems that I go into a collection wanting nothing, or at the least, very little and I come home with a bunch. Case in point, LoL collection....all I really wanted was the Birds & Berries e/s and I came away with a Beauty Powder, a blush, a lipgloss and 4 of the 5 shadows!! I swear they pump some magic dust into the air ducts at the MAC store!!

I too need to focus on me as the whole person.....most of you might not know, but after years of struggling with my weight, I am having Gastric Bypass surgery on the 29th of this month. Yes, my physical appearance will be going through a massive change, and with that, I'm gonna need a whole new wardrobe. So, for me....I've got to keep a handle on my makeup spending, since I'll need clothes to transition with as the weight drops.

So after Art Supplies, I am going on a strict LIMIT when it comes to collections!!

Thank god that MAKEUP doesn't have a SIZE......
lol.gif

Simply Elegant

Maybe you can keep what you have and sell what you know you may only use once or twice or sell stuff that can't be used up by you before going bad. You could get something that benefits your husband too if he wants to be a part of a healthier lifestyle. If you're close enough in height, all he would have to do would be to make adjustments to the seat and handlebars.

MzzRach

Audrey - I do not buy nearly what I used to - I already have a large collection and really do not "need" anything.

With GMLOL, it was literally the first collection since CoC that I really splashed out. Otherwise, it has just been a couple of things here and there. I still have fun enjoying what others are getting and using and seeing their looks. I no longer feel like I have to "have it all".

You'll get it in balance, I know for me, know when I get something new, it's something I am really excited about and want (Exhibit A: GMLOL). Very few collections will be like that for me.

I'm just rambling a bit, but I understand where you are coming from. Plus, you originated the "Shop your Stash" thread, right? We should all be doing that more, I know I go through my collection on a regular basis to ensure I am using everything I have. If not, I sell it or give it away to someone I know will enjoy it.

AudreyNicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzRach
Audrey - I do not buy nearly what I used to - I already have a large collection and really do not "need" anything.

With GMLOL, it was literally the first collection since CoC that I really splashed out. Otherwise, it has just been a couple of things here and there. I still have fun enjoying what others are getting and using and seeing their looks. I no longer feel like I have to "have it all".

You'll get it in balance, I know for me, know when I get something new, it's something I am really excited about and want (Exhibit A: GMLOL). Very few collections will be like that for me.

I'm just rambling a bit, but I understand where you are coming from. Plus, you originated the "Shop your Stash" thread, right? We should all be doing that more, I know I go through my collection on a regular basis to ensure I am using everything I have. If not, I sell it or give it away to someone I know will enjoy it.

Yes, I did start the "Shop your stash" thread. I need to be doing that more. I go through major spurts like this where I will go crazy for a month or two, and then regret it terribly. I have decided that I will not allow myself more than 4 items per collection, ideally no more than 2-3. In going through my stash tonight, deciding what to post in my sale wasn't too painful. There are 2 things that I haven't used much but am going to hold on to until I decide for SURE that I can part with them. Otherwise, it was posted in my sale. I know how excited you were for GMLOL, and I need to look closely for the collections that excite me THAT much, and ignore the ones that don't. I will definately be shopping my stash more, and buying less.

LMD84

Audrey i know how you feel. and i think it's fantastic that you have been doing so well with WW and improving your health!
smiles.gif
yes.gif

i myself have been much choosey recently over what items i have bought.because now i have such a big collection that many things are starting to appear the same! so now i am really looking at what i have before i put things on my 'to buy' list!

abbyquack

I think it's interesting that sometimes I get so focused on my makeup that I don't focus on other aspects of my physical health like hair, clothes, or health. I think a balance is really important, so kudos to you, Audrey, for looking for that balance!
yahoo.gif

It's really odd, but it seems like when I do a huge haul, I don't enjoy my goodies as much as when I do a small, 2-3 item haul. I think it's because I don't have enough faces (lol) to use all those things at once, and so I get overwhelmed and it's hard to choose what to wear that day or whatever. So honestly, I think if you just choose 1 or 2 items from each collection, you'll feel better because you can enjoy those things, and you can use the rest of the money to spend towards an Ipod or exercise mats or whatever else- a nice road bike!
smiles.gif
It's amazing how fast the $$ adds up.

As for selling anything, I don't think it hurts to comb through your collection and find those things that you honestly don't use. I did this a few months ago, because all of a sudden, it felt like makeup was pouring out of every corner of my house! Like I honestly didn't realize how much I'd bought and stored away (drug store included), and so I really had to get rid of a lot before I went crazy. I got rid of maybe 20% of my makeup, so not a TON, but it has made a difference. There are some items that I sold that I cringe about (Manish palette, Style black l/g) but I never used them! They were pretty but useless to me. So keep that in mind.

I really hope this helps, I commend you for doing what you're doing, I think it'll be hard, but overall very rewarding both mentally and physically
smiles.gif

AudreyNicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyquack
I think it's interesting that sometimes I get so focused on my makeup that I don't focus on other aspects of my physical health like hair, clothes, or health. I think a balance is really important, so kudos to you, Audrey, for looking for that balance!
yahoo.gif

It's really odd, but it seems like when I do a huge haul, I don't enjoy my goodies as much as when I do a small, 2-3 item haul. I think it's because I don't have enough faces (lol) to use all those things at once, and so I get overwhelmed and it's hard to choose what to wear that day or whatever. So honestly, I think if you just choose 1 or 2 items from each collection, you'll feel better because you can enjoy those things, and you can use the rest of the money to spend towards an Ipod or exercise mats or whatever else- a nice road bike!
smiles.gif
It's amazing how fast the $$ adds up.

As for selling anything, I don't think it hurts to comb through your collection and find those things that you honestly don't use. I did this a few months ago, because all of a sudden, it felt like makeup was pouring out of every corner of my house! Like I honestly didn't realize how much I'd bought and stored away (drug store included), and so I really had to get rid of a lot before I went crazy. I got rid of maybe 20% of my makeup, so not a TON, but it has made a difference. There are some items that I sold that I cringe about (Manish palette, Style black l/g) but I never used them! They were pretty but useless to me. So keep that in mind.

I really hope this helps, I commend you for doing what you're doing, I think it'll be hard, but overall very rewarding both mentally and physically
smiles.gif

I feel exactly the same way. I seem to enjoy my smaller hauls and USE the items more if I only get a few things. SCF was a HUGE collection, and I got too much from it, and I think I have only used each item once, and then it was onto a new collection. I shopped my stash this morning, and used a few eyeshadows and a lipglass that I haven't used in months, and decided that I don't love any of them enough to keep them, so I added them to my sale.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. They mean so much!
heart.gif

abbyquack

^^ I know what you mean, I feel like I got a little too much even from LoL. It's all so gorgeous and hard to pick just a couple things but I think I would've survived if I skipped most of the collection...I think.
greengrin.gif
And it is definitely rewarding to shop the stash and find things that you forgot about- it's always so exciting!
smiles.gif