I am struggling with something...

Hilly

Since I am working on losing some weight, I really wanted to earn my makeup. So I bought what i wanted from the collection and gave it all to my friend to hold. For each 3lb loss, I get something. This way, I appreciate what I have and am earning it. It keeps me outta mac too lol.

coachkitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
Since I am working on losing some weight, I really wanted to earn my makeup. So I bought what i wanted from the collection and gave it all to my friend to hold. For each 3lb loss, I get something. This way, I appreciate what I have and am earning it. It keeps me outta mac too lol.

That is a really great idea Hilly! I think I might start to do this as well. I did get quite a bit from GMLOL because I hit a big weight loss goal this week. But from now on I think I might doing this for my other weight loss goals.
smiles.gif

This year I have really tried to be more selective in what I purchase. I haven't been perfect but I have done much better than years past. I have such a large collection that I really don't even "need" anything at all anymore.

Thanks for making this thread Audrey because it sure seems aparent that most people feel similar to you (including me). It is good for us to talk about this and support each other. That is what makes Specktra such a great place.

I also really like Susanne's idea about only hauling a few times a year. That to me would make what I purchase so much more special. GMLOL was the first collection in a VERY long time that I was beyond excited to have and use. I am very guilty of buying things because of hype and then just having them sit in a drawer unused.

purrtykitty

I'm totally with you, Audrey. Since I lost my job, I've been selling off a lot of the stuff that I've used maybe once or twice to fund the new stuff I want. A lot of the stuff I'm selling were "hyped" items.

I'm keeping some of my favorites or items that took me forever to track down, but I've come to the realization that I always want new. So, once I've decided I'm bored with something, I'll probably toss it into my sale to recoup a little cash. That way, I will have cash flow for the things I want, and I'm not just accumulating, I'm cleaning things out.

Shimmer

You can try a reward system, either something like what Hilly suggested, or reward yourself with a fitness accessory for every 5/10/15 lbs you lose. The bigger the increment the better the reward...

jpohrer

Hi, Audrey!

I have been purchasing MAC since 2003 and studying the LE collections since 2005. In the past five years, I can tell you that MAC has recycled many colors and color themes. MAC has produced a few unique shades in the past five years (like Parrot, Lucky Green, Meadowland, Moth Brown, Metamorph, Valet, Pink Cabana, Lollipop Loving), and has come out with hundreds of colors that are just a shade different from a permanent item or past LE item. In most cases, the subtle difference in shades can't be detected on your skin--only on a paper swatch. It's not enough of a difference to justify a purchase! If you miss out on something, odds are MAC will produce a similar shade in the future!

I have really enjoyed visiting a new collection (on Saturdays or Sundays when the counter is busy), then "shopping my stash" for substitutes! I have learned to combine what I already own in new ways, so it seems like I have new makeup! Also, I can adapt a collection to suit my personal taste and NW15 coloring! I can morph a new collection into warm-toned, cool-toned, neutral, pastel, bright or smokey versions with my substitutes. Often, I get so excited by playing with my substitutes that I don't feel like I'm missing out on a new collection! As an added bonus, I tend to prefer my versions to the new collection!

Instead of focusing on the LE hype, consider each new collection as inspiration for new ways to combine what you already own!--Cori

StarrySim

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyquack
It's really odd, but it seems like when I do a huge haul, I don't enjoy my goodies as much as when I do a small, 2-3 item haul. I think it's because I don't have enough faces (lol) to use all those things at once, and so I get overwhelmed and it's hard to choose what to wear that day or whatever. So honestly, I think if you just choose 1 or 2 items from each collection, you'll feel better because you can enjoy those things, and you can use the rest of the money to spend towards an Ipod or exercise mats or whatever else- a nice road bike!
smiles.gif
It's amazing how fast the $$ adds up.

I totally agree with this! Just a week ago I did a HUGE MAC haul at a warehouse sale (10 l/s, 3 pigments, 4 e/s, brushes, 2 foundations, 4-5 MSF's/ blushes, and more). I was actually depressed after! Usually when I buy 1-2 things it's a real pick-me-up, but too much just makes me feel overwhelmed. This huge haul has inspired me to sell about half of it, and also to sell stuff I have that I don't use much. Swapping just isn't making a dent in my collection.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, when it comes to makeup, less really is more. I haven't bought anything regular price at mac since a Blacktrack fluidline around the holidays, and I B2M'd for a lipstick once this year. I did a discounted CP through a friend, but even that was for more staple items like 15-pan palettes and lip conditioner. I'm being veeery picky and won't buy anything else unless it's really different from what I already have, and something I really love. I've passed on SCF, LOL, all of it, and I don't regret it.

As for finding something you wanted later on - honestly, half the fun of going to the warehouse sale (or CCO's) is never knowing what I will find, and the thrill of finding something that I wanted from a previous collection but passed on. This time I picked up Dainty, Love & Friendship polish and Long Stem Rose slimshine, all of which I've been wanting so bad, and last time I snagged Refined and Top Hat (all at veeery deep discounts)! A little restraint is so worth it in the end!

keep it up, you will feel great!

allThingsGirl

Hi Audrey,

You could impose a rule of selling something when you get something you like better? For example, I started with MAC Bitter, then realized I like NARS Rated R better, so I sold Bitter and bought Rated R. Then that one came out with C-shock that was similar and I liked that better, so, I sold Rated R and bought the C-shock one. And THEN, MAC came out with it's own "Rated R" with Starflash formula and I like that better...so, then I bought that and I still need to sell the C-shock one. I lost a little money along the way, but it was better than not having the one I liked better and stuck with all the others...I know it's not the same as "shopping your stash" but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you really want the latest or you think the latest is better than what you have, just make a rule that you HAVE to sell the one you are replacing.

So, at one point, I felt like I was spending too much on makeup and decided to go cold turkey and not pay attention to any MAC stuff for a while. This backfired on me where when I came back, I saw all the stuff I missed and then ended up hunting down all the items I was interested. That cost me alot more than what I would have paid retail. I guess I could have just said, too bad and not gotten all that stuff...but I'm sure you guys can guess that I just couldn't. Anyway, what I found that worked better was that I just stayed off Specktra for a while and then just waited to see the MAC emails when the collection was actually announced. Then, I'd head over to the store and check it out for myself, without all the hype on Specktra -- this helped me see what I REALLY liked, without all this influence here. You could try this?

OR...just have the willpower to not buy or buy selectively.
smiles.gif

I'm glad you brought this up though because over the last few months starting with Xmas season buying, I bought so much stuff...I need to scale down a bit myself.

kiss

There is one thing you must do in order to save money, stay off the color collections threads. No seriously, I speak from experience!
tong.gif

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss
There is one thing you must do in order to save money, stay off the color collections threads. No seriously, I speak from experience!
tong.gif

hee hee! sometimes this is true! my attention gets brought to products i wasn't even thinking about sometimes!

MzzRach

I do think it is possible to enjoy and participate in the colour collection threads without feeling like you have to "get it all". But for many, those threads can be overly enabling and I respect that for some it's best to stay away. I've learned to navigate those threads without feeling pressure and just enjoying the interaction between our members. I feel like I can be part of the convo even if I don't buy anything from a particular collection. I didn't even buy Ripe Peach blush ombre, which has been quite the hot ticket of late.

hawaii02

My motto since starting to collect MAC is buy what you know you will wear. With the exception of Ripe Peach ombre, I don't fall for the hype. I take it into consideration and play with swatches. I'm very picky about not wanting the same colors in my collection, if it can be helped My DH already thinks that my collection is plenty and he has really no idea how many women have so much more than me
lol.gif

I applaud you for wanting to take care of yourself better!

elegant-one

Audrey my dear....I just read this
friends.gif

Aw, you're so sweet! Hey first of all, you are a beautiful woman, loving mother & caring supportive wife. Those are such valuable & honorable things.

I entered into early menopause in my mid to late 40's. I felt like I didn't even know who I was any more. I never struggled with weight, but once that hit it seemed as though I couldn't even look at food without it causing some weight gain. That doesn't even include the whole hormone & emotional chaos that it causes. This is what started me on a quest of really healthy eating & exercise.

I fast walked & rode my bike every day - didn't help. It didn't hurt - but not the results I thought it would give me. I found myself shakey & wanting to eat something to curb it
th_dunno.gif
And, it never changed my body - which is really what we want.

So then I started with 1 lb ankle weights & did only easy about 5 different floor exercises (all for lower body) & one lap on the tread mill. It killed at first - but I actually started seeing pretty quick results in my lower body. I've since increased it to 2lb ankle weights & now I run on the tread mill for several laps. I included those small weight balls - I think they are easier than dumbbells for some reason.

Anyhow - the ankle weights - verrrry cheap! The small weighted balls are not that expensive either. I use a 3lb for my arms & a 4lb for behind my knee cap for leg lifts.

Thats it! pretty cheap I think. Switch up some of the exercises if you want. The only thing that was a lil pricey was the Nordictrack treadmill which we bought several years ago.

The only other thing that I do - cut back portion size & read the sugar & sodium on the packages of everything. I only buy low sodium (I actually prefer the taste now) & low carb sugar items. There are some good healthy foods out there like Kashi cereals & cookies.

This has worked so well as far as results, maintaining results, & feeling better. Now, it seems like a lot less physical work with WAAAY more results than all the fast walking & bike riding I did before.

Unfortunately, I still struggle with some of the other aspects of menopause - but this has really helped.

Sorry for the long post - but I just hope it helps!

winkiss.gif

oh, I do every now & then eat a cheeseburger
lol.gif
but I order the childs size with steamed broccoli instead of fries. I eat pizza - not all that often - but only 2 very small slices. You can still enjoy foods. I make myself go one more lap on the treadmill if I do eat any of these things. Yesterday for St. Patty's I had a very yummy butter cream cupcake - but had to run the extra lap
smiles.gif

elegant-one

Oh, I don't have an ipod - well, I have that tiny clip one which is perfect & doesn't get in the way. I think I got it for like $70 a few years ago. My workout mat - got it really cheap too. I had to get a thicker one than what I bought at first - ya know - for the old bones
smiles.gif

You really don't have to spend a lot of money, so you can have the good health/exercise & some makeup goodies too!

InspiredBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
Oh, I don't have an ipod - well, I have that tiny clip one which is perfect & doesn't get in the way. I think I got it for like $70 a few years ago. My workout mat - got it really cheap too. I had to get a thicker one than what I bought at first - ya know - for the old bones
smiles.gif

You really don't have to spend a lot of money, so you can have the good health/exercise & some makeup goodies too!

I have one of the old Shuffles as well. Mine is hot pink!
greengrin.gif
It's great to just clip on to my shirt and not have to worry about having a pocket or anything to put it in.

Edit: But if I were to get a new iPod to work out with, I'd probably get a Nano, so I could use it with Nike+

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzRach
I do think it is possible to enjoy and participate in the colour collection threads without feeling like you have to "get it all". But for many, those threads can be overly enabling and I respect that for some it's best to stay away. I've learned to navigate those threads without feeling pressure and just enjoying the interaction between our members. I feel like I can be part of the convo even if I don't buy anything from a particular collection. I didn't even buy Ripe Peach blush ombre, which has been quite the hot ticket of late.

iagree.gif

I always make my wishlist on the first day we get a new color story information. And for 99 % I stick to my lists no matter how much other people love or dislike a special item.

I love chatting about new or upcoming collections in the color story threads, but I know what I already have, what I like and what I need.

I will skip Art Supplies and Pret A Papier (because this was my very first decision). Although the one or the other product is not bad
winks.gif

elegant-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBlue
I have one of the old Shuffles as well. Mine is hot pink!
greengrin.gif
It's great to just clip on to my shirt and not have to worry about having a pocket or anything to put it in.

Edit: But if I were to get a new iPod to work out with, I'd probably get a Nano, so I could use it with Nike+

That's what its called!
smiles.gif
Isn't it the cutest little thing! Yeah, the nano is nice too.

shadowaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
Audrey my dear....I just read this
friends.gif

Aw, you're so sweet! Hey first of all, you are a beautiful woman, loving mother & caring supportive wife. Those are such valuable & honorable things.

I entered into early menopause in my mid to late 40's. I felt like I didn't even know who I was any more. I never struggled with weight, but once that hit it seemed as though I couldn't even look at food without it causing some weight gain. That doesn't even include the whole hormone & emotional chaos that it causes. This is what started me on a quest of really healthy eating & exercise.
smiles.gif

OMG! Menopause just sucks. I started entering it in my late 30s and then went on estrogen patches in my early 40s. It really screws with your mind and body. I gained weight, felt crazy and all kinds of oddness. By the way anybody going through this here's a helpful kind of funny site Minnie Pause & the Hot Flashes.

But I finally decided last year after I had my foot surgery that I really had to kick it in gear as far as taking care of myself. I used the time after surgery when I couldn't get up to go in the kitchen to cut down on the amount of food I was eating. I also had my husband fix me healthier meals. That was a great start. After that I started making giant salads with lots of dark greens and all kinds of veggies and keeping it ready at all times. I also in smaller container had chopped and ready tomatos, green onion, feta cheese, and other stuff so I could change it up. I don't like boiled eggs alone but chopped in a salad is fine to add protien. So I usually have some ready so I just have to shell and chop. Eating more salads made the biggest difference in how I feel. The main thing si I do not get hungry near as quickly. I have more energy and have lost a good amount of weight.

I really like Jilliam Michaels of the Biggest Loser. I know some people hate her. But her book "Master Your Metabolism" has been so helpful to me. I need to refer back to some of the stuff in it. I have tons of pages marked in that book so I can reread them. I hate going by any specific "diet" so this was great for me. It would also fit right in with WW. I did WW years ago and was doing very well and then my mom got real sick and I had to go out of town so often I just didn't keep up with it.

I've not been exercising like I should so I need to get with it. I too indulge in treats now but not like I used to. I enjoy a little of something I love. And even while losing I still continued with a "tradition" my husband and I have done for more than a decade of going to eat mexican on Satudays. I told myself it was ok to enjoy it and have a day off as long as I stuck pretty much to my plan the rest of the week. This was such a MAJOR step for me as I have always been an all or nothing person. I'd either exercise 4 hrs a day or none at all or eat very calories or binge. So I am so glad that I finally after more than 30 yrs of this I clicked that switch in my brain. That click was seriously freedom for me because in the past if I ate a piece of candy or a cookie thenI felt like a failure and would just go on a binge.

Good luck Audrey, just remember you are worth the effort.
winkiss.gif
As moms or just women in general we tend to always take care of everyone else's needs and put ourself at the bottom of the list. You will feel better and look better and as you get older you will be so much better off health wise. I'm still working on myself and I too am trying to stop impulse buying and slow down my spending habits. Here's a link to that book if you're interested, this is a great price too. I don't know what I'd do without Amazon.

Amazon.com: Master Your Metabolism: The 3 Diet Secrets to Naturally Balancing Your Hormones for a Hot and Healthy Body! (9780307450739): Jillian Michaels, Mariska van Aalst: Books

elegant-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowaddict
OMG! Menopause just sucks. I started entering it in my late 30s and then went on estrogen patches in my early 40s. It really screws with your mind and body. I gained weight, felt crazy and all kinds of oddness. By the way anybody going through this here's a helpful kind of funny site Minnie Pause & the Hot Flashes.

yes.gif
x100! Thanks so much for your post - its soooo true & I really appreciate reading everything you wrote! My hubby would agree with the highlighted text
girlhaha.gif
(but not always funny).

Well our dear Audrey will experience this someday & she'll can remember these posts & laugh
tong.gif
& hopefully everyone can learn from each other - that's what is so nice about being here.
th_hug.gif

mac_aiken

Audrey,
I can't really add to the wonderful advice you have already received but I did want to say how proud I am that you are taking this step and to offer any encouragement I can along the way. As women and as moms we often put our needs to the side but if we don't take care of ourselves, we can't take care of those we love.
th_hug.gif

April

GlamYOURUs

I am having the same problem. I think I am going to stop collecting MAC like I am. And just by one or two items if I REALLY NEED them or they are UNIQUE. I need to save up for a lot that is coming up for me.

I want to sell off my entire makeup collection and I started to. I gave away a lot of the most wanted items and later regretted it but then thought about the bigger picture. Others would use it a lot more than I would. But that tiny part of me is like why did I ever?

I am going through my stash right now and I am going to part with a lot of it unfortunately. It doesn't make sense for me to keep it just to have it if I am never going to touch it. And boy do I have a lot! *sigh*