I feel so stupid

Trashionista

Hi Everyone,

I have no-one else to talk to who will understand this kind of stuff, so I figured I'd vent to all of you.

Sooo...after applying, interviewing with my areas recruiter, having a 2nd interview with the regional manager and doing a demo for the trainer, everything had went perfectly beyond my expectations and the next day the recruiter left me a voicemail saying:

"Congratulations! You have passed the interview process and we are sending your information to the retail manager and she will call to set up a time to meet with you and offer you the job for full-time permanent. I've actually got the whole team excited about having you on board and this is exactly where you belong with this team."

That is verbatim as I just transcribed it from the voicemail that I've been replaying over and over agonizing every last detail. After I heard it the first time, what I basically heard was "I got the job!" because I swear, that's what it sounds like, right? Or am I just crazy?

Anyway, the first thing I did was call my husband, my mom, my brother, my best friend, other friends, etc...basically anyone who knows my obsession with MAC. Everyone was so excited and so proud of me and I was on Cloud9 for the next couple of days. I started envisioning my new life as a MAC Artist and I was the happiest I've ever been.

And then the Retail Manager left me a message the other day saying something like "I'm calling about you being a potential candidate....". Potential Candidate? Uh Oh. I'm very detail-oriented so those two words we're burning into my head and I was fretting over their meaning but my husband said I was over-analyzing and it was probably just a formality and if the Recruiter and RM and Trainer said I have the job, then obviously I have it. So I stopped worrying for a bit and called her back and set up a time to meet the very next day (yesterday).

So, yesterday I go and I'm not knowing what to expect since I wasn't told and there's nothing on this board about it. I'm thinking maybe I'm just going to have some friendly chatter with the Manager and her team and if I gel well with the team and then she'll offer me the job on the spot or something. I had only been to this particular store once after working out at the gym --looking a mess in sweats with no makeup on --because I was in a big hurry to buy some stuff from the Moonbathe collection.

And don't you know that the same girl who helped me buy my stuff that day is the Retail Manager? And she remembered me from that day, and after mentioning my visit, she started talking about image and how it's the most important thing to her, followed by customer service and goals, and how it's unfortunate, but a large part of her decision has to be based on image since the product deals with image.

Please keep in mind that I had gotten ready for over 4 hours yesterday. My hair was done (I have a funky, trendy, modern haircut & color), full face of bold colorful makeup with dramatic lashes, dressed in trendy all black clothing, wearing black Manolo Blahniks from the Fall 2006 collection, vintage black Chanel handbag, silver Alex + Chloe necklace, manicured fingers and toes painted with fireball--asides from plastic surgery and weightloss there were no improvements left to be made. I think that for some reason, she could only see me as that frumpy girl that I was when she sold me stuff
ssad.gif

Then she went into a hardcore interview, with questions more difficult than any of my previous interviews, and since it was unexpected, I got really really nervous for the first time in this process and I probably totally bombed.

She ended it all by telling me that she's interviewing until Sunday and is doing call-backs on Monday. So, now I'm thinking that I don't have the job afterall. Someone will probably come in and interview who hasn't ever met her while looking a mess, and will realize that they're coming in for an interview, so they'll be prepared and won't totally bomb.

I am so crushed and heartbroken. After wanting this so bad for so long, I was so close I could touch it. Now I don't know what to do. Everytime I think about how awful I did, I start crying. And I feel so so stupid for telling everyone I got the job. That's even how I introduced myself to you guys!

I don't know what else to say except I'm devastated and if someone actually takes the time to read this whole looong thing, God Bless You.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm trying to keep the dream alive and really need this to happen.

Thanks!

weeping.gif

triccc

Aww. don't stress yourself.
You might still get the job!

maybe it's a good thing she saw you all sweaty after gym and could see how well you transform yourself and look absolutely stunning all made up!

Hilly

th_hug.gif

Im sorry to hear about the stress this has been! I hope nothing but the best for you! Good luck! Keep us posted!

Anyways- if they judge you on what you look like as a regular person without makeup and such, then are they really good people to work for (not MAC in general....just the team there)

Janice

Don't let doubt get the best of you. I would agree with your husband in that you might be over analyzing the situation. So what if she saw you in your sweats after the gym? We're all human, and you've proven the ability to look the part while on MAC time.

I would call her, and the regional manager, back today, thank them both for taking the time to interview you. Let the Counter Manager (CM) know that you got nervous during your interview because it means so much to you, and you hope that it won't get in the way of her decision. Let them know how much you love the brand and stress to the CM how much you're looking forward to being apart of her team. Sell yourself a little, can't hurt. I would also suggest taking in a simple "Thank you" note over the weekend, to keep yourself fresh in her mind.
smiles.gif
Most of all do this with the utmost confidence in your voice and body language (if in person) that you ARE the person for this position and you BELONG behind that counter. Hope this helps some, I know you can get this.
smiles.gif

Katura

What counter is this for?? I'm in your area.

I wouldn't sweat it too hard, they know you're nervous during interveiws, its normal, but they should only judge your appearance on how you look on MAC time as stated above. As long as you look feirce, you've got the potential, and the knowledge.

I'm keepin you in my thoughts! Wishing you the best of luck!!!

Trashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katura
What counter is this for?? I'm in your area.

I wouldn't sweat it too hard, they know you're nervous during interveiws, its normal, but they should only judge your appearance on how you look on MAC time as stated above. As long as you look feirce, you've got the potential, and the knowledge.

I'm keepin you in my thoughts! Wishing you the best of luck!!!

Thanks so much, Katura!

It's for the store in Pentagon City. All of my interviews and my demo were at Tysons Galleria though.

Katura

I work at the counter in bowie, MD about a half hour away from there. I interveiwed with Homa at pentagon city...she's a little intimidating.

Trashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katura
I work at the counter in bowie, MD about a half hour away from there. I interveiwed with Homa at pentagon city...she's a little intimidating.

All of my dealings before meeting with the store manager were with Homa too and I was a little scared before my 1st interview because of stuff I had read on this board but she was actually really pleasant and we hit it off right away. I love Homa! I could totally see myself shoe shopping with her lol.

I was more intimidated by Kimberly, the manager of Pentagon City for some reason. It was her perfect haircut, rapid fire questions and that fact that she's seen me without an ounce of makeup on, I suppose. hehe.

Trashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
Don't let doubt get the best of you. I would agree with your husband in that you might be over analyzing the situation. So what if she saw you in your sweats after the gym? We're all human, and you've proven the ability to look the part while on MAC time.

I would call her, and the regional manager, back today, thank them both for taking the time to interview you. Let the Counter Manager (CM) know that you got nervous during your interview because it means so much to you, and you hope that it won't get in the way of her decision. Let them know how much you love the brand and stress to the CM how much you're looking forward to being apart of her team. Sell yourself a little, can't hurt. I would also suggest taking in a simple "Thank you" note over the weekend, to keep yourself fresh in her mind.
smiles.gif
Most of all do this with the utmost confidence in your voice and body language (if in person) that you ARE the person for this position and you BELONG behind that counter. Hope this helps some, I know you can get this.
smiles.gif

Thanks so much, Janice! I followed your advice and stopped by today and gave her this totally apropos card that I found at Hallmark yesterday. I made sure to look even better than before so at the very least, she's now seen me more times looking good, than looking bad (2:1) lol.

You've been so helpful and I just want you to know that I REALLY appreciate it!

I'll let everyone know what happens on Monday -- Keep your fingers crossed for me
smiles.gif

xoxo

BunnyBunnyBunny

Wow, she shouldn't consider how you looked as a customer anyway!!

But goodluck and I hope you get the job, and thanks Janice for some great advice!!

Bernadette

I know how you feel. I get really nervous in interviews and always feel like I blew it and then kick myself
ssad.gif
I think dropping off a card was a very smart and professional move
thmbup.gif
. If it makes you feel better MRO's and SRM's do have the ultimate sya in hiring. It sounds like Homa really wanted you there and if for some reason the CM doesn't she will probably need a darn good reason why.
Hang in there, I'm sending you good vibes!

CaraAmericana

Awww honey, I wouldn't have did anything you didn't do. Everyone gave good advice here and I can't help with much more, but I wil be crossing my fingers for you!!! Good Luck.

yummy411

trashionista!!! i've got my fingers crossed for you.. great advice given here.. i totally feel you nervousness... the dread PC (pentagon city) people lol. it's not monday yet and you've made some good moves, i think you have a great shot! good luck! can't wait to hear the update
cheerleader.gif

amoona

I wouldn't worry because of the recruiter, trainer, and rm loved u then you still got a job with the company. if this counter passes you up they'll most likely place you in an interview for anohter location, just keep in contact wtih them.

giz2000

Don't sweat it...I am sure she doesn't look like a million bucks without makeup on either (and yes, a lot of MAs don't wear anything at all when they're not working...myself included!)

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!!
thmbup.gif

MisStarrlight

Yeah, I'm with everyone else. Don't stress it. If the MRO & trainers want you in, they will find a place for you.

And honestly, if that manager is shallow to judge you based on one time you went to that location, then maybe that's not the best location for you (maybe shallow's not the right word, but I think you know what I mean)...I go into stores all the time looking totally busted (I only put on eyebrows when I'm not working).

Good luck & keep us updated!

Khalia25

Aww. You have no reason to feel stupid. Based on the first congratulations voicemail, you DID get the job. That was clearly a "welcome aboard" message. I hope the retail manager was just following protocol with her voicemail and the interview. Just keep your fingers crossed, and I hope to hear some good news tomorrow!!

...you can do it yes you can, if you can't do it nobody can!!
cheerleader.gif
(is that how that cheer goes? LOL...corny, I know) But I'm cheering for you...!!!

User49

Hey don't be so hard on yourself. You got a lot further than most of any of us have ever been to getting that job! The fact that u passed the interview means you know they are considering u! Some girls would kill for that oppertunity! I don't expect u would loose out just from that one day at the gym. Just cuz they are mac girls doesn't mean they don't have 'no make up' days! Just breath !

Trashionista

Man...no...I'm just sitting here by the phone *tick tock*. If I don't hear from her by, like 5pm EST, I think I'm going to give her a call and find out what the deal is.

I'm going crazy in anticipation!