I Have Keratosis Pilaris

kgan

ladies, check out

General Discussion - Keratosis Pilaris Community Forums

a forum with lots of information and treatment options for KP.

Starting in April, I tried seriously making an effort to treat the condition and have thus tried a number of treatment options from the above stated resource:

RETIN-A Cream. This cream brought about noticeable results, although the process was not entirely pleasant. Many, many people apply excessive amounts of the cream (as I did), resulting in red, irritated, and often painful skin. However, after the 1-2 weeks of complaining, my skin was significantly smoother. Nevertheless, the pigmentation -- that is, the dots -- were still visible. I was rather satisfied though because the difference was greatly welcomed from the bumpy rough texture of my skin of yesteryear. I haven't found too much forum discussion on the cream, but it is a common treatment for KP.
Retin-A is supposed to remove the uppermost layer of the skin, thus resulting in the smoother younger skin from underneath

Oil pulling. I used coconut oil for about 4 weeks I think some time in April. I did not experience very significant results at all...but I was doing this after using the Retin-A cream, so perhaps something did happen. I did not have the discipline, however, to maintain a schedule of waking up 20 minutes earlier, especially since I started working again during the summer. However, I intend to restart the whole process for other benefits, namely the much-desired whiter teeth. Oil pulling is supposed to remove hydrophobic toxins from the body by dissolving them into the oil that is swished in the mouth for 20 minutes every morning. Check out http://www.keratosispilaris.org/general-discussion/4335-oil-pulling-treatment.html

Sea Buckthorn Oil Soap. A bit of a mouthful, yes. I have been using the soap for three weeks now. Not much has happened yet...I think I had a very mild break out on my back last week. Perhaps it is working as promised? I gather that perhaps I have not been as diligent about following the treatment procedure as described in this guide below. the diligence shall begin henceforth.
apparently the soap is supposed to kill a microorganism called the demodex parasite living on the surface of the skin. The flare up as predicted within two weeks of starting the treatment is supposedly explained as decomposing parasites still in the hair follicles. kp is supposed to clear up within a month or so.
http://www.keratosispilaris.org/general-discussion/5830-sea-buckthorn-treatment-guide.html

All in all, I think my KP is much better than it was before I started trying to seriously treat it. It used to be so bad before, eliciting unwelcome comments. Seeing that I am less than 2 months in to the process, I have not given up on the listed treatments. Seriously, check out this forum.

Kristal

I have this too! I thought i was the only one lol
has anybody lasered the bumps off? is that possible?

arewethereyeti

I used to work at a boutique that sold Dermadoctor, and heard some great feedback about the KP Duty products. I know for a fact that they make prepackaged samples of the scrub and cream, maybe if you email them or a retailer they will send you some to try? (Never hurts!)

animecute

Oh my gosh! I never knew it was a condition...I actually thought it was all-year-around goosebumps. I know a bunch of people who have it and I have it myself as well. Someone told me when they went to Asia it went away cause it was warmer apparently so I assumed it was goosebumps from living in North America. Guess I was wrong!

Apparently 40 to 50% of adults and 50%-80% of adolescents have this so it's pretty common ;p

Exfoliating and applying a moisterizer will help a bit. It's pretty simple, I know, but it's all I have and it smoothens it out week after week for me. =)

I use Nivea Soft Intensive Cream [I'm not 100% about the name] - erm it comes in a tub. I slop quite a bit on in the morning and before I go to bed.

Well at least my simple method works on light Keratosis pilaris which I had on my legs. Maybe if I do it long enough on my arms it'll work - it seems to get better all the time with a little love and care.
thmbup.gif

Hope that helps
tong.gif

exoticarbcqen

Dermadoctor scrub $45.00 a jar and AmLactin from the drugstore is what saved me.....MY doctor told me that he thinks it was caused due to my thyroid being out of wack. But, they are barely noticable now, esp since I now tan religously and DO NOT wear sleeveless. I dont think its the end of the world, just buy the dermadoctor scrub, use it everyday and then lather on the AmLactin and it will do wonders
smiles.gif

peace&love

I have this too and I went to a doctor and found out about it. I am 14 now and I went about 2 years ago. It is really bad on my legs and on the back of my arms it isn't as noticeable.
I never wear shorts (I always wear jeans). I know that's weird but I bet you would too if it was this bad on your legs. Everyone I know has awesome legs, and I just want to have the smooth, red-bump free skin too because I live where it’s hot. I wish I could wear shorts since it’s so hot.

My treatment right now:
I tried something new about 2 weeks ago and I noticed quite a lot of improvement on my arms AND legs. It's called oil pulling. I'm sure you guys have heard of it but if not, it's when you swish oil in your mouth for 20 minutes every morning. It sounds weird but I was desperate for a cure!
What I've noticed is that the redness has lessened and the bumps have gotten smaller and have disappeared in some places. From the websites I've read about oil pulling it takes about a month to see 90%-95% clear skin! I'm halfway there!

So I have been using Sunflower oil (expressed and organic) if you want to try it. Some other good oils are sesame and coconut. If you want to try it you can Google it and it gives you more info than I can.

I also tried the dermadocter stuff. The scrub makes my skin soft but the lotion makes it really red. I have sensitive skin too. So that might have something to do with it.

Thanks so much for posting this. Now I'm not alone. I feel so much better! I hope I can talk to you ladies about it more.

ShockBunnie

Holy moses! I learned something new about myself. I used to use salt & sugar scrubs on my arms to try to get rid of it, but gave up... Apparently that was stupid if it's a yeast issue? Thanks for the post! I have some investigating to do =]

LatteQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
Keratosis pilaris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I haven't been to a Dr. Or been diagnosed. but this has absolutely got to be what i have all over my arms.

Ever since I was a kid I had these little pimple type things on my arms, and my mom always told me they were heat bumps. Well they never went away and I started messing with them years ago and now my arms are so scarred up and disgusting....I am embarrassed to even show them, ever.

I decided to google "bumps on arms" today, and when this keratosis pilaris showed up....I knew this had to be what i have had all my life. It may not seem like a big deal to most. But reading all about the condition and people who suffer from it.....was just so relieving. I actually started crying. because this is so embarrassing and ugly and I am so self conscious about it. Its so good to know I'm not the only one and that people understand how I feel....

Unfortunately theres not much i can do about it, except for try to exfoliate and use a cream such as Amlactin. All I can is hope that these ideas work on me...I have been suffering from ugly arms my whole entire life, and I seriously envy people with clear, normal arms. Its such a weird thing to envy people for, but I have never known what its like to have clear arms
ssad.gif
I know this sounds super dumb of me, I am just somewhat relieved to finally know what this is (not acne, not heat bumps...) but an actual condition that people suffer from. It just sucks that theres nothing I can do for it

Just wanted to share this....and by any chance if anyone on specktra happened to have the same issue. I doubt it...but you never know
winks.gif

Let me ask you this???
1. Is this a life threatening disease?
2. Will you die sometime in 6 months>
3. What does your man say about it..he still with you( I assume that's him in your siggy)

Girl I have two swollen feet that I CAN NOT EVEN WEAR THE CUTEST SANDALS OUT THERE. My veins do not circulate properly and I am stuck with that forever til I die. I don't have valves in my veins where the blood flow can flow evenly..Right now as I am typing to you my feet are utterly swollen.
I was losing my hair and had bald patches on my head. I couldn't even pull back my hair into a pony tail. I would sit and cry drastically and look in the mirror at these bald patches. I was trying every hair remedy that was out there..I would just add wave cream and a wave cap and kept going.
Well one day I finally snapped out of it and realized you know what HOW MANY DYING ,LIFE THREATENING DISEASED PEOPLE OUT THERE WOULD LOVE TO TRADE PLACES WITH ME RIGHT NOW Over some bald patches..they would give anything..I am healthy, alive and losing my hair was at the bottom of the list..So here I am telling you don't worry about your arms..Think of some poor little child/person who would love to live a healthy life. They would trade places with you in a heartbeat just not to have to live with what they r going thru.
So please I know how you feel. But put yourself in their shoes. Dying of an ill disease or living healthy with marked up arms that can be covered up..

missmolliecule

LatteQueen, it's true that there are people who have it worse in life and I, as a woman who suffers with KP, am very greatful and blessed not to be in those situations. However, I have to disagree with you that it doesn't matter... There is nothing wrong with trying to raise one's self-esteem. I mean, if everyone went through life with that belief, that 'as long as I'm not dying, I need to suck it up', I'm sure millions of people out there wouldn't leave the house for various issues that affected their self-esteem. I mean, for some people that's the whole point of wearing makeup, so that they can feel better and prettier and confident as they live their lives. As this is a make-up forum, I don't think it's fair that you take that approach on the subject. A lot of Specktra has to do with feeling better about yourself.

Also, I don't believe this thread was created for people to whine about KP, from what I can tell it was created for people to reach out to others who have the issue, so that they know they're not alone, and also to try and find treatment options that work.

I know we're all allowed our own opinions on this forum, but I do have to say that it offends me when someone else says that something I have been suffering from throughout my life, that caused me to have no confidence or self-esteem at times, doesn't matter.

gigglegirl

thank you missmolliecule, you said it perfectly in my opinion.

I was happy to see this thread started by CAM, as while I have this condition, as well as my brother, none of my friends or family have had it. So growing up, kids would look and ask what it was, some thinking its weird goosebumps. it makes me feel selfconscious.

Its good to know there are quite a few of us on here!

aeroerin

I don't have this too seriously, but my sister has a severe case of it all over her arms and on her cheeks. The only time it has ever cleared up was when she was undergoing chemo & radiation therapy for cancer as a young kid. :/ Not exactly the cure you're looking for.

I have this too. Pretty much all over, actually. I still wear dresses etc, I spent my whole life covering up and now I don't care. Most people don't notice, and it's not like anyone says anything about it.

I'm trying manual exfoliation for a few months and then I'm going to start using lotions and body creams with at least 15% Alpha Hydroxy Acid in them.

Consistency is key with the treatment. You have to do it everyday and you definitely can't do nothing at all and wonder why it just won't go away.

Also vitamin A and D might help a bit.

DILLIGAF

My sister and my mother both have this. My sister was very very self aware of the issue until she realized recently that she was her harshest critic. She is how ever using a AHA product to dimish the appareance of the bumps. My mom on the other can couldnt give a fart. And she is plagued with KP and Rosacea.

peace&love

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatteQueen
Let me ask you this???
1. Is this a life threatening disease?
2. Will you die sometime in 6 months>
3. What does your man say about it..he still with you( I assume that's him in your siggy)

Girl I have two swollen feet that I CAN NOT EVEN WEAR THE CUTEST SANDALS OUT THERE. My veins do not circulate properly and I am stuck with that forever til I die. I don't have valves in my veins where the blood flow can flow evenly..Right now as I am typing to you my feet are utterly swollen.
I was losing my hair and had bald patches on my head. I couldn't even pull back my hair into a pony tail. I would sit and cry drastically and look in the mirror at these bald patches. I was trying every hair remedy that was out there..I would just add wave cream and a wave cap and kept going.
Well one day I finally snapped out of it and realized you know what HOW MANY DYING ,LIFE THREATENING DISEASED PEOPLE OUT THERE WOULD LOVE TO TRADE PLACES WITH ME RIGHT NOW Over some bald patches..they would give anything..I am healthy, alive and losing my hair was at the bottom of the list..So here I am telling you don't worry about your arms..Think of some poor little child/person who would love to live a healthy life. They would trade places with you in a heartbeat just not to have to live with what they r going thru.
So please I know how you feel. But put yourself in their shoes. Dying of an ill disease or living healthy with marked up arms that can be covered up..

Well, I understand your point. But for me, this condition makes me so depressed, I can't even live my life to the fullest. I hold back from certain things so I can hide it. I never let anyone look at my legs because they are covered with the little bumps. I am a teenager too, so I feel like everyone is starting at me and judging me. I feel like I can never be good enough. I have so many other problems in my life like my father (who I can't see because he's violent) and a diabetic younger brother. This condition is just icing on the cake isn't it?
I don't think anyone would want to trade places with me if they knew all that I go through, and then to have this on my mind all the time?