I Quit!!!!!

SmokeSignal16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMarley
Yep, it wasn't Clinique, it was Macy's. That place is a hellhole.

Oh yeah Macy's seems to be like that everywhere. It's just a horrible company.

crystrill

I HATE GWP CUSTOMERS! I get those at the CCO. "Do I get any kind of free gift?" NO! This is an outlet! The extra money you spend at the counter PAYS for your GWP!

But I'm happy you got out of there. I use to work at a supermarket when I just graduated HS. I HATED IT. The day I left I felt so RELIEVED to be FREEEEEE!! "Ain't nothing like being free, when your minds made up and your heart is in the right place, yeah" /END Destiny's Child sing-a-long moment.

X4biddenxLustX

Good for you hun! Hopefully you'll land this other software job and find it to be much better than the one at Clinique at Macy's.

I was going to ask since your post was about working for a department store cosmetic retailer, if all cosmetic jobs there are like that? Cause I'm hoping one day to land a job at one. But it seems like it's more of the department store being the problem than the actual counter.

I agree that Macy's doesn't seem to be the greatest place to work even if you are working for a seperate company that just rents out a space there to sell their products. I got a job at one for Maternity Motherhood as a sale associate that only lasted for a day before they let me go because they wanted me to work certain days and times I couldn't. Scheduling was brought up twice, once during the interview and another time right after I got the call that I was hired from the manager. I let her know when I was and was not available and everything went okay. But after my first day there I get another phone call saying that they had to let me go unless I could work whatever days and times the Macy's store manager wanted me to work. I was devastated cause I really wanted the job more like needed one. I dont know why they even hired me in the first place knowing my availability wasn't compatible with theirs. And the cherry on top of this was that I didn't even get my paycheck until a little over two months afterwards. I had to repeatedly go in and make visits to see the manager about it that I was pretty sure she was getting sick and tired of me.

So I'm glad your out of this Macy's mess and I hope your health gets better too since a software job probably requires less phsyical work.

dulcekitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4biddenxLustX
Good for you hun! Hopefully you'll land this other software job and find it to be much better than the one at Clinique at Macy's.

I was going to ask since your post was about working for a department store cosmetic retailer, if all cosmetic jobs there are like that? Cause I'm hoping one day to land a job at one. But it seems like it's more of the department store being the problem than the actual counter.

I agree that Macy's doesn't seem to be the greatest place to work even if you are working for a seperate company that just rents out a space there to sell their products. I got a job at one for Maternity Motherhood as a sale associate that only lasted for a day before they let me go because they wanted me to work certain days and times I couldn't. Scheduling was brought up twice, once during the interview and another time right after I got the call that I was hired from the manager. I let her know when I was and was not available and everything went okay. But after my first day there I get another phone call saying that they had to let me go unless I could work whatever days and times the Macy's store manager wanted me to work. I was devastated cause I really wanted the job more like needed one. I dont know why they even hired me in the first place knowing my availability wasn't compatible with theirs. And the cherry on top of this was that I didn't even get my paycheck until a little over two months afterwards. I had to repeatedly go in and make visits to see the manager about it that I was pretty sure she was getting sick and tired of me.

So I'm glad your out of this Macy's mess and I hope your health gets better too since a software job probably requires less phsyical work.

I'll just say this : I worked for Lancome at Macy's and yes, it was the SAME. Unless you like harassing people to open up charges and on top of your counter goals also having to recruit for Macy's programs like Thanks for Sharing (Of which you also have a goal) and having upwards of 3 bosses all telling you the same sh*t, you probably will get sick of it. If you work for one of the bigger companies like Estee, Lancome, Clinique etc... you will have to do presale, which is calling people up and/or trying to get customers to spend their money before they get any product - sometimes a month in advance. Btw, the same exact gift they'd get if they waited to see what it actually looks like IRL later. Good luck!

I freelanced at Bloomies and it looked to be the same deal. If you want to get a dept. store job because you love cosmetics, I'll just warn you that it has very very VERY little to do with cosmetics. It's all numbers and they don't really care if your makeup application looks like a Picasso painting as long as you can meet all the goals. Let's not even get into counter drama that you can't avoid lol.

On the plus side, it's a great way to get a discount on brands you couldn't normally, to go to company trainings, to learn how to deal with all sorts of beauty customers and to get a thick skin. :p

I'm thankful for the experience and gratis I received as well as the resume plumper, but I wouldn't go back to a counter unless I really needed $$$.

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcekitty
I'll just say this : I worked for Lancome at Macy's and yes, it was the SAME. Unless you like harassing people to open up charges and on top of your counter goals also having to recruit for Macy's programs like Thanks for Sharing (Of which you also have a goal) and having upwards of 3 bosses all telling you the same sh*t, you probably will get sick of it. If you work for one of the bigger companies like Estee, Lancome, Clinique etc... you will have to do presale, which is calling people up and/or trying to get customers to spend their money before they get any product - sometimes a month in advance. Btw, the same exact gift they'd get if they waited to see what it actually looks like IRL later. Good luck!

I freelanced at Bloomies and it looked to be the same deal. If you want to get a dept. store job because you love cosmetics, I'll just warn you that it has very very VERY little to do with cosmetics. It's all numbers and they don't really care if your makeup application looks like a Picasso painting as long as you can meet all the goals. Let's not even get into counter drama that you can't avoid lol.

On the plus side, it's a great way to get a discount on brands you couldn't normally, to go to company trainings, to learn how to deal with all sorts of beauty customers and to get a thick skin. :p

I'm thankful for the experience and gratis I received as well as the resume plumper, but I wouldn't go back to a counter unless I really needed $$$.

This sort of sounds somewhat similar to the job I have now (I work in a drugstore). ALL about numbers and tasks that have almost nothing to do with cosmetics really, while I wear a name tag stating that I am a "beauty adviser".

I understood that there are still goals and sales that have to be met, but I originally thought it wasn't THAT bad at counters. I have had several MA's from different counters suggest that I get a job at one since I'm always at the the stores buying makeup. I had given it some thought but was too young at the time. One of those MA's who was from Clinique also, told me that she was putting in her 2 weeks notice in a little bit and going to be working for Bebe instead. When we started to talk about MAC, she told me that the girls there are lucky since they don't actually work for Macy's. So they didn't have to worry much or at all about getting people to sign up for the store charge card and all of those other promotions. But since she worked for Clinique which is considered to be working for Macy's she had to worry about all those things and just couldn't deal with it anymore.

And I feel soo bad for all the MA's that work at counters that do GWP or Pre-sales. I've seen customers get really nasty to MA's over getting free stuff with their purchases.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcekitty

I am glad you posted this. I feel like people need to know what they are getting into when they apply for jobs in cosmetic retail. Someone did that for me, and I am so glad they did because I knew what I was getting into. I've seen too many people get a "rude awakening", so to speak.

I'd also like to add that ANY cosmetic brand will focus on numbers-you may just have different types of goals to meet. They are there to make $$...they just have different ways of going about it. I do thank my lucky stars that I don't have to harrass people about the credit card, though. I don't know when these stores are gonna realize that people are SICK of being asked. No means no! Ha ha

And to make sure I don't sound like a Debbie Downer, there are positive aspects too...great friends, training, helping someone's confidence, a source of inspiration, a creative atmosphere...etc.

Aaaand to keep it on topic, I am wondering how MissMarley is doing now that she has broken the chains...lol

MissMarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
I am glad you posted this. I feel like people need to know what they are getting into when they apply for jobs in cosmetic retail. Someone did that for me, and I am so glad they did because I knew what I was getting into. I've seen too many people get a "rude awakening", so to speak.

I'd also like to add that ANY cosmetic brand will focus on numbers-you may just have different types of goals to meet. They are there to make $$...they just have different ways of going about it. I do thank my lucky stars that I don't have to harrass people about the credit card, though. I don't know when these stores are gonna realize that people are SICK of being asked. No means no! Ha ha

And to make sure I don't sound like a Debbie Downer, there are positive aspects too...great friends, training, helping someone's confidence, a source of inspiration, a creative atmosphere...etc.

Aaaand to keep it on topic, I am wondering how MissMarley is doing now that she has broken the chains...lol

I'm doing awesome! I love my new job- I had one week of being unemployed before I got the offer, but that was ok. I got a lot done at home. I feel more relaxed, I get to spend more time with my husband...it was definitely the right decision to quit. I feel a lot better physically too!!