I seriously NEED TO STOP

buddleia

I have addictive tendencies as well (e.g. tv, internet, but not necessarily buying a ton of makeup). I kicked my addiction to Ask MetaFilter | Community Weblog (don't laugh!) by saying to myself, starting today I'm not going to go to askmetafilter for 21 days. And I didn't. That was several weeks ago and I have not gone back. In the first week, I definitely started to notice when the urge would come, but then I remembered my "rule." And then the urge would pass. And that urge wouldn't arise again. Then maybe the next day another urge would arise in a different context. Again, I remembered my rule. The urge passed, and it didn't happen again. This happened for about a week (only!!!) and by the end of 3 weeks all the urges to go to askmetafilter were gone.
smiles.gif

My current addiction has been to makeup sales on specktra and other places (not ebay!) and the other day I said, "no more makeup sales!" Of course it didn't work because the rule is so vague. The next day I was looking at sales again - I justified it to myself that there was a sale on another site starting in a week, and another ending a few days after - I'll be shopping then, so why not keep looking? It is so easy to justify ANY behaviour! So my rule is, fine, don't look at specktra sales and other places until the sale on the other site happens. And it's working! After those sales are over, I'll start another round of a 21-day moratorium on looking at makeup sales and makeup websites.

So that's my suggestion. Just don't buy makeup for 21 days at least. Notice the urges that come up - do you have the urge to go to Sephora: Beauty, Skin Care, Makeup, Hair, & Fragrance while at work and hit "checkout?" Do you have the urge to walk down the cosmetics aisle when you're buying something from the drugstore? Are there times when you feel like, "Hm, I think I'll go to Ulta today to check out sales" and then you go? Notice the urge. Do something else to distract you. Walk away. The urge will pass. If you let it. It is going to feel weird in the beginning, but that's exactly what it's like. You can't "just stop" - it's a process.

And think about why you want to stop buying makeup - is it because you think it's wasteful? You don't need anymore? You never use what you have? You're in debt? Come up with some really, honest reasons why you want to stop. The truth is, there's fun and enjoyment in buying makeup, just like I had with going to askmetafilter, but I was also spending SO much time on it, staying up late, not focusing on my job at work and that's really not what I wanted. Your desire for other things (e.g. more money in your wallet for other things, less time spent on buying makeup when you could be spending time with your friends or whatever) has to be greater than your desire to buy makeup. What do you value? What's most important to you?

So if you start your 21 days tomorrow, the end of that period is October 5. Think you can go 21 days without buying makeup?

martiangurll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssah
^^ They say it takes 21 days to form/break a habit. What a smart idea.

I think I will try to put myself on a 21 day no-buy. Okay, who's with me? (we can start tomorrow-- LOL)

I like the idea of getting some 4 pans and narrowing down my 15 pan of purples to 4. Just don't make me break down my 15 pan of medium browns to 4 because I am not ready for that step. I guess I am in the pre-pre contemplative stage. Seriously though, I was thinking of narrowing down the e/s to a "neutrals palette" of my own compilation and then 4 pans for the purples, blues, greens, oranges, and other "brights." Of course then I have to purchase 4 pans, but I could use inexpensive ones like ELF right? (and can still keep any separate purples in palettes in addition to the 4-pan) You see how I am already in the Bargaining phase with my anticipated loss?

I could seriously force myself to only buying less than retail for a self imposed period. That would at least slow me down...Or, a self imposed NO LE restriction. That would show will power (or Won't Power at least) Anyone wanna make a pact with me???

LMD84

usually i go 21 days without buying things anyway. mianly because i literally just do one mac order a month and nothing more. if i have to buy foundation in the meantime (i use revlon) i dont feel like that counts because foundation is hg product to me.

i have however stopped looking in the sales threads and also buying from websites like love-makeup. because alot of the time i will see things and buy them forgetting that i have already spent my budget.
smiles.gif

Goat Goat Etc.

Wow, I think I was bad last night!
ssad.gif

I went out before midnight to go get index cards and first aisle I go to is cosmetics...and then I have to remind myself I need index cards 15 minutes later!

I was seriously about to leave that store, knowing I needed school supplies for tomorrow, with just cosmetics!

martiangurll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Goat Etc.
ssad.gif

I went out before midnight to go get index cards and first aisle I go to is cosmetics...and then I have to remind myself I need index cards 15 minutes later!

I was seriously about to leave that store, knowing I needed school supplies for tomorrow, with just cosmetics!

LOL, I do this too. DH just says to me now before we go in anywhere--"we are just buying this or that, no looking around !"

sillylilacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Goat Etc.
ssad.gif

Oh yea...I need to mentally tell myself to grab the stuff I need first, then I can browse the cos isles =O

I also give myself a time limit, like walk in @10, need to be out @10:30, so when I'm walking around, I need to calculate the checkout line in as well...because if I just stroll around, the more I'll wanna buy >.<

Goat Goat Etc.

Took my own advice and grabbed a journal to jot down my daily calorie intake and exercise habits and purchases I make. Should be fun to see how I wriggle through these things and what's on my mind persuading me to eat/spend like I do.
sweatdrop.gif

Aijuswhanakno

This might be enabling, but I had to come to grips with the fact that I'm a collector and I love looking at all the pretty colors (that sounded bad, lol.)

Goat Goat Etc.

K, so today I spent $173.29.
$131.35 to a Gry victorian cardi, a multi-strand necklace, sharkbite rosette halter, Blk ruffle tee tank, jewelry organizer, vs bra, velvet blk dress, and army green cardi.
$18.81 to Almond Joy pieces, Tortilla chips, desk calender, and 2 Orly polishes ea. $1.99.

*shrug* So this is day one.