im A LITTLE upset.

deven.marie

Sooo, i work at ulta, ive been there for almost 8months now. Since about 5 months ago i've been trying to get promoted to "prestige" which means being in the area where smashbox and bare escentuals, etc are. I've been trying really hard and asking to attend all the prestige meetings, I've talked to managers and they said to just keep up what im doing and they would consider. so this was about 5 months ago and i have been maintaining my job performance and i've actually improved a lot. still no promotion. I've been making a lot of sales on prestige items and seriously trying SO HARD to get that position.

A couple weeks ago i was walking past the break room and heard my co-workers talking. One girl said "oh yeah steph (manager) said she doesnt want Deven in prestige."

SO in the back of my mind im like, WHAT THE FUCK?? but i just let it go because it could just be work gossip.

BUT THEN come to find out they just hired a new girl into prestige, who JUST graduated high school and has absolutely NO experience with cosmetics AT ALL. and it really upsets me.

It's just like a slap in the face. It seriously just makes me want to quit.

Am i over-reacting?

At this point even if they do promote me I'll still feel upset
th_dunno.gif

..kels*

oh no!
ssad.gif

you're not overreacting at all. unfortunately, working in cosmetics means working with women.. & working with women = CATTY! i've seen your FOTDs & you are sooo ridiculously talented!! so i wouldn't get discouraged! but i would confront the management & question why you were overlooked. usually they hire within, so there's absolutely no reason for you to not have gotten that position.
th_cheerup.gif

deven.marie

aww, thank you, i actually cried a little over this, that's how important it was to me. i just feel like it was totally unfair. i am going to ask the prestige manager tomorrow why i was overlooked.

i'm honestly considering working somewhere else.

Pushpa

this sucks my advice make a business plan and go and speak with your manager...let it be perfectly clear that you are more than capable to handle any job opportunities that are to be provided in the future and you are deserving...working in cosmetics means you have to do a little more to be taken seriously...as sad as this is sometimes its like if you have a better personal relation with the manaer you get ahead...feel no shame in going above you manager to discuss how great you are lol

hope that helps

exoticarbcqen

sorry to be off topic, but who does your brows? AMAZING...I cant find anyone who does them good in SF...[saw your FOTD's hehe]

deven.marie

thanks Pushpa, the weird thing is, my manager is constantly giving me praise and little awards and gratis. so im like, WHY wont you offer me that position?!? I'm definitely gonna have a little chat with her tomorrow. I might hold out and see if i get it for the holidays. but im pretty damn frustrated.

deven.marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticarbcqen
sorry to be off topic, but who does your brows? AMAZING...I cant find anyone who does them good in SF...[saw your FOTD's hehe]

thanks, i do them myself
smiles.gif
they grow in pretty thick naturally, i just pluck them a little and then use a brow pencil to define them

deven.marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushpa
hope it all works out for you...lol u look extremely caribbean btw

haha really? no ones ever told me that before. i wish i had a cool accent for a day
greengrin.gif

but thanks! i told my mom about the situation, and she was like "oh my god dev, its probably because you're the only girl there who's not white with blonde hair, thats discrimination, take it up with headquarters..."

i was like mom, get a grip. haha

kimberlane

I don't think you are overreacting at all. Especially with the new girl straight out of highschool, but she could have experience, I dunno how old you gotta be to work at a makeup counter. But the level of schooling doesn't exactly tell you the person experience in a certain field. But I would definitly say somethin especially since they knew you wanted it, most companys promote from within, they don't usually bring new people into higher postions unless no one there wants it, or the person had worked there before. Good luck hope it works out for you.

florabundance

Kimberlane is right about promoting from within. Putting the new girl in ahead of you does seem shady. have you spoken to her to maybe get to know her level of experience?

Either way, take it up with management and good luck. With the amount of time you've been there, you've shown commitment to their company so you deserve some recognition!! and dont be upset sweety, this kind of shit happens EVERYWHERE

darkbeauty27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deven.marie
thanks Pushpa, the weird thing is, my manager is constantly giving me praise and little awards and gratis. so im like, WHY wont you offer me that position?!? I'm definitely gonna have a little chat with her tomorrow. I might hold out and see if i get it for the holidays. but im pretty damn frustrated.

Hmmm...when you say that she is giving you praise, gratis, and awards it sounds like she is trying to "make you happy/satisfied" with the position that you are in so that you won't ask to be moved into the prestige position anymore. I would maybe talk to her but if you aren't happy and she isn't budging then you should probably start looking for something elsewhere. You shouldn't be somewhere where you are unhappy. You have to do what's best for you.
smiles.gif

joey444

You are definitely NOT overreacting and have every right to be upset. I would speak to my manager so that she knows how you feel and ask her if there was a particular reason why you were overlooked for that position. Perhaps there is something that she would like for you to improve on. Depending on her response, I would even consider contacting headquarters to make them aware of the situation. Worse comes to worse- go somewhere else! You are EXTREMELY talented with obvious drive and should have no problem getting in somewhere else.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

purrtykitty

That really sucks. You might consider telling your manager that since there's no future for you with the company, (since she obviously didn't put you up for the "prestige" position), that you're forced to look elsewhere, where you can more fully display and further develop your talent.

deven.marie

thanks so much everyone.

so i asked my manager about it today, i walked in and i was like "im not upset or anything (lol) but i just wanted to know the reason behind katie (new girl) being in prestige? i spoke with her and she told me she had no experience with makeup so i was just wondering how that decision was made?" and she was like "well she worked at abercrombie & fitch for 2 years so she had a lot of sales experience, i've seen you making improvements and sales, just continue on the same path and we can possibly place you into prestige."

blah.

so its like she sees what im doing, but is still like its "POSSIBLE" we can place you in prestige. i dont mind staying a beauty consultant for now, its not like i plan on working at ulta for the rest of my life. it just sucks to know that they're only looking for sales and arent focused on those who actually have skills and experience with makeup. it seems like you have to have those skills to make sales. how can you sell a product if you cant properly demo??

ill hold out for the holidays. im thinking they're gonna be hiring a lot of people as beauty consultants and might bump me up to prestige.

Simply Elegant

It seems like she just gave you an answer she thought you wouldn't mind hearing. Five months is a long time to wait when they know how hard you're working and willing to work.

..kels*

Quote:
it just sucks to know that they're only looking for sales and arent focused on those who actually have skills and experience with makeup. it seems like you have to have those skills to make sales. how can you sell a product if you cant properly demo??

that didn't even cross my mind that the girl might be experienced in retail/selling. what is your retail experience like in comparison? it's unfortunate, but in most retail cosmetics roles, selling skills trump makeup skills. MAC is known to hire this way as well. i'd definitely wait it out until the holidays. with the extra sales experience you'll gain during that time & the need for holiday staff, i'm sure you'll get it by then. good luck - keep us posted!

deven.marie

i worked at the disney store for a year, where they pressure you SO MUCH to sell your ass off. so she still has another year of exp. more than me. but she worked at abercrombie and fitch, and to me all those girls just kinda stand around and fold shirts. i never see them selling lol

KikiB

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbeauty27
Hmmm...when you say that she is giving you praise, gratis, and awards it sounds like she is trying to "make you happy/satisfied" with the position that you are in so that you won't ask to be moved into the prestige position anymore. I would maybe talk to her but if you aren't happy and she isn't budging then you should probably start looking for something elsewhere. You shouldn't be somewhere where you are unhappy. You have to do what's best for you.
smiles.gif

Trust me, that is definitely true. Praise, gratis, awards do not equal satisfaction. Yes it is nice, but the real measure of your work comes when you get a higher-leveled position.

Quote:
thanks so much everyone.

so i asked my manager about it today, i walked in and i was like "im not upset or anything (lol) but i just wanted to know the reason behind katie (new girl) being in prestige? i spoke with her and she told me she had no experience with makeup so i was just wondering how that decision was made?" and she was like "well she worked at abercrombie & fitch for 2 years so she had a lot of sales experience, i've seen you making improvements and sales, just continue on the same path and we can possibly place you into prestige."

blah.

so its like she sees what im doing, but is still like its "POSSIBLE" we can place you in prestige. i dont mind staying a beauty consultant for now, its not like i plan on working at ulta for the rest of my life. it just sucks to know that they're only looking for sales and arent focused on those who actually have skills and experience with makeup. it seems like you have to have those skills to make sales. how can you sell a product if you cant properly demo??

ill hold out for the holidays. im thinking they're gonna be hiring a lot of people as beauty consultants and might bump me up to prestige.

I mean I love A&F but that's not exactly "selling"...

What I would suggest that you do is that you ask your manager to put you on a development plan-to where you can pinpoint areas you need to improve upon, and things that you can do in order to improve them. Don't start big-it's all about taking little steps in order to get to your goal, which is the prestige consultant. Product knowledge will take you far. When you have free time, study the products. Educate yourself on all the different lines. Read all the material that you can-because yes you have to be good at selling, but you also have to know the product, and you will be a much more viable saleslady if you wow the client with product knowledge.

As for the holidays, definitely hold out, because they will definitely hire holiday help. Every retailer does. They also will need more people in every area, so keep at what you are doing and hopefully you'll find yourself in prestige.

Sass E

I agree with a previous post, approach her and ask exactly what she thinks you need to work/improve on and when another position opens up, you can discuss it with her her point by point and get the job or uncover the real reason why she keeps passing you over.
Even someone with only a small amount of retail experience can be promoted quickly if they show an interest and drive to commit to the job. It seems odd that she isn't at least considering you because you seem to really want the position.
Good luck.