im A LITTLE upset.

MrsRjizzle

I went to your ULTA store. I swear the girl in that was working in premier I wouldnt have even let her help me. You should sooooo be there instead! You need me to complain to your manager! jk

TISH1124

This is terrible!! I don't even live in your state but I want to call and complain like I do live there! So terrible...It's just a out right slap in the face. She obviously has a personal problem with you for no apparent reason that she can even explain. When she says just keep doing what you are doing..I would say Nah, I think I would like to do something different because obviously that $%# is not working in my favor.

deven.marie

So today I let my manager know that I would be looking for a second job and possibly leaving altogether. She seemed to not even care much, in fact she made some comment about having to hire even more people for the holidays now. I'm not sure if it was a disrespectful comment or not as she is very softspoken and I didnt catch all of what she said, but it sure seemed like it.

cant wait to get outta there!

I bet she will probably try and offer me the position just to keep me there for the holidays, instead of hiring a bunch of new girls.

no stank you! haha

deven.marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRjizzle
I went to your ULTA store. I swear the girl in that was working in premier I wouldnt have even let her help me. You should sooooo be there instead! You need me to complain to your manager! jk

Hmm, I wonder who it was. Come back and say hi to me!! Haha.

I'll be the poor girl stuck on register for 8 hours because her manager doesnt think she's capable of being in prestige.

Better make it soon though since I'm leaving!
smiles.gif

BlahWah

Very very glad to hear you're leaving! May you have an awesome time looking into opportunities which will free you from your suck-@ss manager. Keep us posted!

deven.marie

ok, major update.

the general manager (who wont promote me) is going on pregnancy leave at the end of the month, and the assistant manager, who happens to LOVE me and in fact is the one who hired me in the first place, is taking over.

We had a conversation and she says I'm ready for prestige, and I should definitely get promoted if i decide to stay.

so now im like, should i stay just to make it into prestige? because I think the GM will be gone for about 6 months.

I can always just quit after she gets back.

katie_070405

or, you can help the assistant manager + yourself & try to sell the shit out of that makeup until she gets back. Who knows, maybe they'll get rid of her if sells are up. LOL

deven.marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_070405
or, you can help the assistant manager + yourself & try to sell the shit out of that makeup until she gets back. Who knows, maybe they'll get rid of her if sells are up. LOL

haha, excellent idea.
or if not, i'll have plentyyy of sales experience to take somewhere else by that point.

babyjazy21

I say you go for it. I mean it's obvious you have the talent, and everyone can notice it except for your blind manager. So I say you go for it and sell as much as you can and by the time your GM comes back she will realize how amazing you are.

SonRisa

In business, it happens time and time and time again. In general, management tends to not like people who speak their minds. They'd rather have robots who say yes to everything and never question anything.

I was in a VERY similar situation at MAC. No matter what I did I wasnt given fulltime. Supposedly to benefit me, I was moved to our trend counter in the juniors department, where my sales got even worse (when MAC focused on IPT), and eventually, they screwed with my sales goals so there was NO way possible for me to meet them, and eventually I was fired.

You all work retail, and it's been long enough that I can talk about it. July is a 5 week month. August a 4 week month. That said, July's goal should be larger than August, right? Then consider we launched Untamed in August so you figure the goals should be about even (higher goal expectations when launching a color story). Well, my goal for July was $6k, I did $7k. My goal for August was $9k BUT and here's the kicker - I took my 2 week PAID vacation I had accrued in August. So I shouldn't have been goaled for those 2 weeks. They said they didnt goal me for them. Yet my goal was $9k, whereas my third key's (who didn't take vacation time, was at a 35hr position ( i was at 25)) goal was $8k EXCUSE ME?!? You expect me to sell $9000 worth of product, working 4 hour, often closing shifts at our trend counter 5 days a week, in 2 weeks or 10 days time?!? F that. And might I add, that over and over and over again in the course of the 2 years I was there, numerous people were hired either at fulltime or were given full time within 2 months of their employment. While I got the same BS "Oh risa, I know you love mac and collecting, here have some extra gratis" Like that makes everything magically ok.

Retail blows IMO. Cosmetics retail even moreso because as someone said, youre always working with women who can be catty and decide they dont like you because xy and z *insert whatever here*

Does the prestige section pay more? If not, I'd be outta there and work elsewhere. If there's anything I've learned or realized, it's that it doesnt matter how nice you are, how good of an employee you are, how good at makeup you are...in general, there's always going to be someone who dislikes you. And often times if managers feel threatened by you, they wont promote you. I say seek out lines to freelance for. That's what Im in the process of doing. You only have daily sales goals. And if it's slow and you dont meet your goal for whatever reason, the manager is often there with you and can see how slow it is, and that its not necessarily your fault if there's a lack of customers. And you choose your hours. MAC is the lowest paying in terms of freelance. Seriously, go into Nordstrom, and ask at Shu, Dior, laura Mercier etc etc how you go about becoming a freelancer for the line. They'll give you the info to contact that proper person and there ya go! NEVER ever EVER again will I willingly be employed as a permanent retail artist.

SonRisa

oh and I forgot to add, unless you dislike the girl (katie i think?) for another reason, dont take it out on her. It's not her fault your manager is an ass. And maybe Im phrasing that improperly. But you seem to have some built up resentment towards her, which is understandable. But it has nothing to do with her.
smiles.gif

deven.marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonRisa
oh and I forgot to add, unless you dislike the girl (katie i think?) for another reason, dont take it out on her. It's not her fault your manager is an ass. And maybe Im phrasing that improperly. But you seem to have some built up resentment towards her, which is understandable. But it has nothing to do with her.
smiles.gif

actually, i love katie
smiles.gif
she even thinks it ridiculous that i'm not in prestige.

i realize that retail does SUCK, but i'm a student and this is all just temporary. i'll stick it out until she gets back, and then go from there. If i feel that she starts to respect me more then maybe i can put up with it, if i get the same BS, im outta there.

SonRisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by deven.marie
actually, i love katie
smiles.gif
she even thinks it ridiculous that i'm not in prestige.

i realize that retail does SUCK, but i'm a student and this is all just temporary. i'll stick it out until she gets back, and then go from there. If i feel that she starts to respect me more then maybe i can put up with it, if i get the same BS, im outta there.

If you dont mind me asking... how much do they pay you? I only ask because I mentioned the freelance thing to you because A LOT of students do it. Plus I see youre in the bay area (not sure where), but just to give you an idea, if you freelance for various companies, you potentially could work up to 40 hrs a week (if you so desire) at different locations and the companies I listed pay freelancers no less than $19 p/h in this region. Just something to think about...
winks.gif