I'm actually getting scared-- Long vent, sorry

FullWroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsidesunset
I so needed someone to tell me I wasn't being silly for thinking he was nuts.

You're definitely not being silly - that kind of talk is unacceptable. Depending on how often this has happened before and how often you've put your foot down, it may or may not be time to call it quits. If this is the first time you're actually standing up for yourself, who knows, maybe it's worth another try, if he's willing to take some kind of anger management counseling or at least take some kind of first step to prove his determination to deserve your love, like going to a one-time seminar or reading a pamphlet or SOME gesture (because he can totally MEAN that he'll never do it again, but I doubt he'll be in control of himself the next time he gets pissed, so by the time he realizes what a dick he's being, it's too late).

But if this happens frequently, and if you've firmly told him to stop it before ('cause we girls all know there's a difference between SAYING something he does isn't okay and MEANING it and following through on it), then it may well be time (or way past time) to call it quits. I mean, his temper would never really change, but if he loves you and wants to be with you badly enough, he can go out and learn how to deal with it in a healthy manner, teach himself to react differently. However it ends up, though, make damn sure you can stick to your guns on whatever you choose to do - so many women go through on-off relationships with abusive spouses on the hope of a better future, and it just reinforces the abuser's idea that it's okay to act like this, because you'll always come back once the sting of what they said/did wears off.

Good luck for you both! Even though he's the jerk in this situation, I hope for the best for him too, because issues like his really, really need to be properly examined and controlled in the greater scheme of things, before he gets his ass in REAL trouble.

user79

LOL That's funny.

There's a suburb in Bern called Wankdorf - dorf means like village, so it's wank village. I always snigger at it.

eastsidesunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullWroth
You're definitely not being silly - that kind of talk is unacceptable. Depending on how often this has happened before and how often you've put your foot down, it may or may not be time to call it quits. If this is the first time you're actually standing up for yourself, who knows, maybe it's worth another try, if he's willing to take some kind of anger management counseling or at least take some kind of first step to prove his determination to deserve your love, like going to a one-time seminar or reading a pamphlet or SOME gesture (because he can totally MEAN that he'll never do it again, but I doubt he'll be in control of himself the next time he gets pissed, so by the time he realizes what a dick he's being, it's too late).

But if this happens frequently, and if you've firmly told him to stop it before ('cause we girls all know there's a difference between SAYING something he does isn't okay and MEANING it and following through on it), then it may well be time (or way past time) to call it quits. I mean, his temper would never really change, but if he loves you and wants to be with you badly enough, he can go out and learn how to deal with it in a healthy manner, teach himself to react differently. However it ends up, though, make damn sure you can stick to your guns on whatever you choose to do - so many women go through on-off relationships with abusive spouses on the hope of a better future, and it just reinforces the abuser's idea that it's okay to act like this, because you'll always come back once the sting of what they said/did wears off.

Good luck for you both! Even though he's the jerk in this situation, I hope for the best for him too, because issues like his really, really need to be properly examined and controlled in the greater scheme of things, before he gets his ass in REAL trouble.

It almost makes me so sad to know that I spent years in college studying Relational Communication (it was my major) and I can't get this right. Boo.

Seriously though, this isn't the first time something like this has happened, but it is the worst. I don't think I'd ever actually been scared like this before, much less of him. The next day he came right out and threatened me with one of those "If you break up with me..." things and I just hung up. He's since apologized, saying he didn't "mean all of what was said", which doesn't make me feel better (seriously?? you didn't mean all of it, well alright. what a wank.) My family and friends are all for staying away from him, granted no one has ever really liked him, and probably with good reason. I know I have to put my foot down and keep it there, but it's hard when you've known someone for so long.

So I've worked it out. He and I do need to talk, and I need him to understand that his actions (and words, whether he meant them or not) were not acceptable. If that's one thing school taught me, it's that even if the words aren't meant, their meaning will be with you regardless. So I've made a list of all the times he called me, saved all the voice mails, printed out the IM's and emails. He's going to have to look at them, even though he's content with acting like nothing happened. He can just ignore everything and be done with the relationship, or he can give me the space and time I need and understand that things are not the same, and that he needs to get help.

Thank you so much to everyone. I really appreciate the advice. Even though I don't know any of you, I would totally bake you cupcakes as a thank you.

pumpkincat210

Make sure you have a big support system if you plan on trying to make the relationship work. You yourself said that his behavior is escalating so don't put yourself in a bad situation, be careful.

eastsidesunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
Make sure you have a big support system if you plan on trying to make the relationship work. You yourself said that his behavior is escalating so don't put yourself in a bad situation, be careful.

Due to this whole thing, I've actually been honest with friends and family about how the relationship is. They never really knew that all the "fights" we had were really him going ballistic and me hiding in fear. I know that even though they don't want me to be with him, they'll support the choice I make. It just feels like the only thing to do right now is to let him go or start from scratch.

I know this much- I won't be alone with him for a long time.

xxsgtigressxx

Ok im not trying to sound rude at all, just more concerned, but WHY ARE YOU STILL WITH THIS GUY? Dont justify, dont rationalize, thats what every woman does thats in an abusive or an about to be abusive relationship... and you continuing to stick around through this only makes him feel like its ok to treat you that way... in fact the way he's acting is really putting up lots of red flags. I know you love him. And I know that you probably think that he's not usually like this, etc. But that doesnt really matter, the fact that he got to that level is INSANE. And I know every instinct in you is telling you to defend him, and think ohhh its not that bad, but from an outside prospective thats really scary. But its not going to stop and it will probably get worse unless you make a major change, and I dont think that just includes calling his dad or what not. Im not trying to be rude btw, its just my honest to God advice.

xxsgtigressxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsidesunset
It almost makes me so sad to know that I spent years in college studying Relational Communication (it was my major) and I can't get this right. Boo.

Seriously though, this isn't the first time something like this has happened, but it is the worst. I don't think I'd ever actually been scared like this before, much less of him. The next day he came right out and threatened me with one of those "If you break up with me..." things and I just hung up. He's since apologized, saying he didn't "mean all of what was said", which doesn't make me feel better (seriously?? you didn't mean all of it, well alright. what a wank.) My family and friends are all for staying away from him, granted no one has ever really liked him, and probably with good reason. I know I have to put my foot down and keep it there, but it's hard when you've known someone for so long.

So I've worked it out. He and I do need to talk, and I need him to understand that his actions (and words, whether he meant them or not) were not acceptable. If that's one thing school taught me, it's that even if the words aren't meant, their meaning will be with you regardless. So I've made a list of all the times he called me, saved all the voice mails, printed out the IM's and emails. He's going to have to look at them, even though he's content with acting like nothing happened. He can just ignore everything and be done with the relationship, or he can give me the space and time I need and understand that things are not the same, and that he needs to get help.

Thank you so much to everyone. I really appreciate the advice. Even though I don't know any of you, I would totally bake you cupcakes as a thank you.

ok sorry for posting again haha about this...I'm sure he knows its not acceptable to talk to anyone like this, so im sure you're not going to be showing him the light or anything. Im sure he'll apologize and say everything will be different, and unfortunately as women, we tend to want to forgive and see the good in people, so we accept that. unfortunately that doesnt tend to be the reality of life. Otherwise, he might get angry that you're confronting him. If I were you, as hard as it was (i know you said you were together for so long) I would walk away from the situation entirely. Go stay with friends or family. Unfortunately I have this theory that long time bf and gfs find it hard to break up with one another when the relationship has taken a downward turn because their lives are not 2 seperate lives anymore, they're intertwined, and its going to be hard to start from scratch because you probably wont know what to do with yourself... but that will go away and you'll be happier, and you'll look back and everything your fam and friends have been saying about him that you didnt see will magically appear and you'll be like omg what was i THINKING? love is crazy. It makes us do some crazy things
smiles.gif

Latest posts