Im thinking of going on Birth Control...any advice?

_ohmygosh

I'm taking Diane 35, so far so good but I haven't been taking them at the same time. A couple hours late/early....... I take them in the morning and I usually wake up late aha. My skin has cleared up heaps!

Sushi.

my advice on the birthcontrol is DONT USE THE DEPO SHOT!!
I was on the depo shot and i must say it has really done a toll on me.
I gained 40 pounds in about 2 months from it. I cant wear any of my own clothes, and of course from gaining so fast, i have scarring everywhere
ssad.gif
it also weakens your bones so fast that you are only allowed to be on it for 2 years or something like that. (of course i was not told this until after) and once my doctor figured out this was the cause of my weight gain I went off of it, but it takes up to 8 months to get out of your system.

I am now on alesse and i dont have any side effects from it, so thats the one i would reccomend to use.

NutMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi.
my advice on the birthcontrol is DONT USE THE DEPO SHOT!!
I was on the depo shot and i must say it has really done a toll on me.
I gained 40 pounds in about 2 months from it. I cant wear any of my own clothes, and of course from gaining so fast, i have scarring everywhere
ssad.gif
it also weakens your bones so fast that you are only allowed to be on it for 2 years or something like that. (of course i was not told this until after) and once my doctor figured out this was the cause of my weight gain I went off of it, but it takes up to 8 months to get out of your system.

I am now on alesse and i dont have any side effects from it, so thats the one i would reccomend to use.

I second this. Depo worked well for me for about six months, then I started getting vaginal dryness, pain during sex, no libido, irritability, etc. And it's more dangerous than they lead you to believe, with regards to osteoporosis, etc. Worst birth control decision I ever made.

pumpkincat210

I could have sworn I posted to this thread already...but here is my opinion anyway...
I was on NuvaRing and got pregnant on it. I think the stats are one out of every 1000 women get pregnant on it. The reason is my vaginal muscles were constantly pushing it out and I'd have to readjust it constantly. It also gave me bad headaches. Not recommended.
I had good luck on Ortho tricylen lo. It had very little side effects and no weight gain. The only bad thing is I hate taking a pill everyday at the same time, such a hassle.
If you can afford it the best thing I tried was an IUD. They can last up to 5 years. Some people experience painful and heavy periods with it, but i didn't. I could have sex with my husband whenever and not have to worry about anything. I had it removed after 2 years because i decided to have a baby. I got pregnant within 2 months of it being removed.
Good luck

Over the course of a year, I've been on:
Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo
Yaz
Loestrin 24 Fe
Now, Ortho worked pretty perfectly, except for the last week of pills before the inactive pills. During that week, I would get really grumpy and somewhat withdrawn from my boyfriend. Basically, PMS, which I'd never dealt with before. So I begged my gyno to switch my birth control, to which she responded with Yaz. My time on Yaz was the worst period of time in my life. It made me incredibly depressed, so much so that I was crying at the drop of a hat for reasons I couldn't articulate. I was withdrawn from everyone, including my friends, family, and boyfriend. I refused to have sex with him, as I had no libido, negating the purpose of the pill in the first place. I was actually so depressed and disillusioned that I broke up with him, because it seemed like it might lift me out of my hell. Finally, I researched the effects of Yaz and found that there were entire forums dedicated to "survivors of Yaz and Yasmin", all experiencing some variation on what I was. I immediately stopped taking it, and my happy go-lucky self returned within a few days. (As a note, my best friend takes Yaz and has no complaints) After taking a month off, I was put on Loestrin 24 Fe and I couldn't be happier-- it's given me no problems whatsoever, plus an extremely light period, which is a plus. I hope that was helpful!

Ziya

Hey guys..Ive tried Yaz I think...I was only on for 3 months but it made me so grouchy and depressed and I had ZERO drive! hows that for effective birth control? lmao you wont feel like it, so no problem! I want to try the NuvaRing but I'm worried its gna make me moody/kill my libido..anyone have an opinion on this? Also, what somebody said about getting pregnant on it?? uh oh lmao
IUD's scare me!!
greengrin.gif

florabundance

I took the pill (two different kinds, the first gave me an allergic reaction) for about 6 months and have vowed never to take oral contraceptives again.
It was mainly the allergy that deterred me, but other factors were like Ziya said..I was an emotional bomb lol..crying, moody. It was like constant PMS.

BEA2LS

i am on nuva ring, have been for maybe 3 years and i like it. no real bad side effects for me, i just never could remember to take that stupid pill! it works well i have heard of someone getting pregnant on it but no birth control is 100% (condoms have a higher risk for getting pregnant than the pill but of course is good for STD protection..).

Sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziya
Hey guys..Ive tried Yaz I think...I was only on for 3 months but it made me so grouchy and depressed and I had ZERO drive!

Yep I tried this one and had exactly the same reaction. In fact I've had it with most types that I've tried except the Evra patch which turned me into a crazed banshee, erratic & screaming etc! I have vowed to never take any form of hormonal contraception again.

But, still suffering from bad cramps I went to see a Homoeopath and it was AMAZING! I took a remedy for about 3 weeks and I've never had bad cramps again. I cannot reccomend Homoeopathy enough for hormonal problems.

obentick

First do not take the DEPO shot its horrible.,, it had me bleeding for a year straight. I would go with the IUD, either the 5 years one ( has a little hormones) or the 10 years one ( no hormone, the one I have) and I love the IUD.

NutMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by obentick
First do not take the DEPO shot its horrible.,, it had me bleeding for a year straight. I would go with the UTI, either the 5 years one ( has a little hormones) or the 10 years one ( no hormone, the one I have) and I love the Uti.

I think you mean an IUD. A UTI is a urinary tract infection, and having just gotten over one myself, I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone.
winkiss.gif

obentick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg
I think you mean an IUD. A UTI is a urinary tract infection, and having just gotten over one myself, I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone.
winkiss.gif

Yes, its IUD.