I've totally changed my mind about MAC brushes

jaclynashley

I bought the same set and I am AMAZED as well.
I have a 224 SE and the 226 and they feel totally different!
The second I used the 226 I knew it was full sized all the way.
I personally love the 187 now,but the 187 SE had to go so I sold it to my friend to help pay for my full size.
winks.gif

I can't wait until I get more money and can get the 239,my SE is getting scratchy.

nadiya

I certainly think there's other brands out there that make great brushes but I like getting MAC because they have a huge range with some unique shapes. They're also a little cheaper than some other department store brands of similar quality.

astronaut

I started out with an SE set but I actually don't think they were that bad at all. I just started buying full sized brushes because of the hype they get compared to SE brushes. But I'm going to have to say that I don't like all MAC brushes. The 187 is obviously the best of it's kind. However, I find the Japonesque crease brush or the NARS is softer than the popular MAC 224. That darn brush is so prickly and painful! I don't understand how people can endure blending with that brush. I like the Smashbox pencil brush that was part of the Encounter brush set more than the 219. The smashbox one was made of synthetic fibers so they aren't as pokey as the natural fibers of the 219. I also hated the MAC 213. It was also scratchy.

MissResha

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
However, I find the Japonesque crease brush or the NARS is softer than the popular MAC 224.

really?? heck im all about finding the best brush. which NARS brush are you referring to?

BEA2LS

MAC brushes are not in my budget now (MAC make-up barely is!) but when money gets better, i did plan on investing on some. They sound amazing!

MissResha

^^trust me, they're not in mine either. i haven't paid full retail price for any of the ones i have lol.

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha
really?? heck im all about finding the best brush. which NARS brush are you referring to?

It's the NARS #13. Honestly though, the Japonesque one is practically the same but is nearly half the price. Come to think of it, I think a lot of Japonesque brushes are better and cheaper than MAC. Ulta has sales for Japonesque brushes all the time, 25% off, buy one get one half off, buy one get one free, and Ulta store coupons on top of that.

jaclynashley

The thing is that you can't actually feel the Japonesque brushes.
I've went to so many Ulta's to see if they have tester but none of them do,and I'm not going to rip open a box to contaminate one for someone else.
ssad.gif

But I'm not going to out down the quality of Japonesque because one again I've never felt them.
Bad marketing on Ulta's part.

divalicious

Hi, Specktra and MAC newbie here. I decided to jump into the bandwagon and got myself a bunch of MAC brushes - the 168, 187, 208, 209, 217, 224, 226, 239, 242, 266, and a spanking new brush roll. All I can say is, ohmygawrsh, where have I been hiding all my life? These brushes are pure love and they're so worth every dollar I spent. Makes me feel like washing my face and putting new makeup on every hour. Also gives me a reason to hang out in this forum everyday lol
smiles.gif

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaclynashley
The thing is that you can't actually feel the Japonesque brushes.
I've went to so many Ulta's to see if they have tester but none of them do,and I'm not going to rip open a box to contaminate one for someone else.
ssad.gif

But I'm not going to out down the quality of Japonesque because one again I've never felt them.
Bad marketing on Ulta's part.

My local Ulta actually has this bundle of Japonesque brushes, like a large keychain bundle, that has the brush testers attached.

MissResha

i'm going to ulta today LOL

i just got the 242 brush the other day too. i really really like that one. like, i have to get another one because i can see i'll be using it a LOT.

what is going on here!

shyste

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexheartsmac
you are so right because my first MAC brushes was a brush set from colorforms and i liked them because they are good and all but once i have gotten full size brushes i am like so amazed

I had the purple colorforms set and completely agree w/you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzRach
The SE brushes are faboo for travel. I love the 187 SEs for this purpose.

My top MAC brushes (and yes, you cannot beat the full size brushes):

217 (one for eyeshadow and one for concealer)
187 (it does it all)
109 (amazing for applying liquid foundation)
188 (my go-to brush for cream or powder blushes)

You are so right I need to buy at lest 2 more 109..I use it for Studio Fix & Studio Sculpt...187 is just pure FIYAH!!!! Oh and nobody is allowed to look at/touch my 226..lol!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadiya
I certainly think there's other brands out there that make great brushes but I like getting MAC because they have a huge range with some unique shapes. They're also a little cheaper than some other department store brands of similar quality.

I can't bring myself to pay for the NARS ones though and I have other brushes than MAC....

MissResha

^^LOL!! i dont blame you in regards to the 226. heck, dont bring it around me. i know magic. i'll make it disappear LMAO