Just learned the shocking truth....after more than 6 months...

caramel_geek

I just started being really into makeup and all that about 7-8 months ago. I've sort of (or at least I thought I have) learned how to blend my eyeshadows properly (using techniques I've learned here and from YouTube). Until today...when I learned the shocking truth that I actually didn't.
ssad.gif

This morning, my eyeshadow looks perfect when I was doing my makeup in front of my mirror. Everything looks nicely blended. All the colors looked fabulous (Ricepaper, Glided Green p/g and Mink & Sable. C'mon, that has to be good. Right?
yes.gif
) Anyways, until I went out for my lunch break, and while I was waiting for my BF, I took out my mirror and wanted to check if my mascara smudged or not (although I know it wouldn't, cause it's the fab Clinique Power Lash
cutey.gif
). And to my utter horror, my eyeshadow looks different from how it looked like this morning. It doesn't look as nicely blended. It even looked a bit blotchy as some places (this might be my eyes playing tricks on me). Everything just looks wrong. I was so upset. And I keep thinking maybe it's cause I might have accidentally rubbed on my lids before coming out for lunch. So, when I came back to the office, I took out the same mirror again, and check my eyeshadows (just to make sure). And tada! It looked perfect again. What could be wrong??? Is it true that my eyeshadows could look different under natural sunlight and indoor lighting? And trust me, my office has the best lighting ever. If so, how can I make sure that my eyeshadow still looks that same as what I saw in front of my dresser and when I go out under the sun?
SOS.gif

Sorry for the long rant...I'm just really upset that I only found out about this after so long. Imagine those days when people saw me outside with poorly blended eyeshadows
nonono.gif
~horror~
But anyways, thanks for reading. And TIA for any tips.
thmbup.gif

TISH1124

Girl..I am sure you looked beautiful we are harder on our selves than anyone... But I know how you feel...this is coming from the girl who posted the purple lips and purple eye fotd and thought she looked cute until she went up against the Specktra firing squad
th_LMAO.gif
....Then I just read on the post that one member thought I looked sickly, I was better off just thinking I looked like Barney!!
ssad.gif
....So Big Huggs!! But now that you know better you will do better!! But I am sure it wasn't that bad! My husband told me I looked like Barney...But when I told him he was right and all the ladies hated it to...He got mad...I guess he can say I looked F*d up but he dares anyone else tell the truth as well...Gotta love him!
yes.gif

AdlersMommy22

Tish wtf? Really? Thats so sad that people here would say that kind of stuff about you? You're friggin gorgeous- Id kill for your bone structure

My b/f did the same thing yesterday. I was super upset because my Shakespearean lit class was making fun of my MAC.. my teacher goes "you must be pretty shallow to spend that much money on something like makeup"... I was like "you know makeup isnt just MAKEUP to a lot of people- its a form of artistic expression." And she laughed at me and continued on making fun of me.

Matt was peeved... he was so cute he was like "Well everyone I know thinks your makeup looks AWESOME.. they are just jealous.. that makes me so bad... thats ridiculous!" He was going to come beat some ass haha

ANYWAYS back on topic.

Are you using a primer hun?? I noticed that before I used bare study p/p my shadows tended to "run" or "blotch up" too.

Even my eye makeup "blotches up" if I dont cake on a good lotion before hand to prime it.. and then set it with some loose powder.

couturesista

ITA, with Tish and AM (BFF), you may need a primer, a better mirror and better lighting. I seriously doubt it was as bad as you think, we are our own worse critic. If no one looked at you all day with the side eye, your probably ok!

User49

I agree try using a really good base underneath. Paintpots, paints, shadesticks, urban decay pp, ect ect. I find the 224 brush is amazing for blending. So I tend to put my cream base on with the 239 and then buff colours into it. Umm... I don't know! Maybe try using a different texture e/s? Some of them (like beauty marked) dont show up that great in day light while the veluxe pearl shadows are really pigmented and work great! I also like to use fix + with my eyeshadow to make it really pop. After I do my make up I tend to just go over the lid with a small amount on a brush - but be careful not to smudge it all and ruin the make up lol!

Tish: Oh man people don't need to be horrible. I think it looked cute, just needed some sort of colour with it to make it pop a bit more.

Aldersmommy: I CAN'T STAND people who don't get make up!!!! I hate those grumpy old men that go 'you must be pretty shallow'. I'm sorry but the women your getting off to do not look that good without a bit of slap on!!! *forgive me for being crude but do you know what I mean!!!!*

ticki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdlersMommy22

My b/f did the same thing yesterday. I was super upset because my Shakespearean lit class was making fun of my MAC.. my teacher goes "you must be pretty shallow to spend that much money on something like makeup"... I was like "you know makeup isnt just MAKEUP to a lot of people- its a form of artistic expression." And she laughed at me and continued on making fun of me.

oh man, i hate that fake wanna be bourgeoisie attitude.

AdlersMommy22

^ you and me both. I was so pissed,... I was like- you know what? Eff off. I didnt make fun of her for being OBSESSED with shakespeare.... friggin annoying!

aleksis210

Omg I feel you're pain...I thought my eyemakeup looked HOT one night until I looked at a pic of myself the next day and it looked so unblended...I was thinking how the hell did it look so good in the mirror...so NOW... everytime I do my makeup I pull out my camera and take a quick pic in nautral lighting with the macro button on just in case! lol

sharkbytes

Aww, I'm sure you were much harder on yourself, like everyone said. One helpful tip: Bed Bath and Beyond has this makeup mirror, i think it retails for about $50 bucks, but it's so worth it. It has a bunch of different light settings that show you what you'll look like in natural, flourescent, daylight, candlelight, etc. It's the best money I've spent! I don't leave the house now without checking in various lights, because I've been a victim of the too-harsh red lips a few times
smiles.gif

caramel_geek

omg...you girls are so sweet. i seriously feel much better now.
yes.gif

sharkytes: i'll definitely go check out the mirror. it sounds awesome. would really come in handy, since it has so many different light settings
smiles.gif

aleksis: haha...yup...that's the pain. man...i really thought i was rocking it, until that truthful day. tsk tsk tsk. but nvm, now i know i need to practise more
winks.gif

AdlersM: wth...i can't believe someone can be so mean. i mean that's just totally rude. i'll ask her to just buzz off and mind her own business. if you dont agree on someone's hobby or interest in something, it doesn't earn you the right to criticise them like this. that's just way mean and totally uncalled for. i'm pissed right now. you deserve a hug for that...
th_hug.gif

couturesista: yup...i think i definitely need a new mirror. i've been using that big huge mirror that came with the dresser. i think it's time i invest in one of those with a magnifying side and with its own stand.
smiles.gif

glitter, AdlersM: i am using p/p as a base... probably i should let the p/p dry up first before i apply my eye shadow. hmm...
th_dunno.gif

luvmkup

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksis210
Omg I feel you're pain...I thought my eyemakeup looked HOT one night until I looked at a pic of myself the next day and it looked so unblended...I was thinking how the hell did it look so good in the mirror...so NOW... everytime I do my makeup I pull out my camera and take a quick pic in nautral lighting with the macro button on just in case! lol

I do this, too. I'll think I look great, then I take a picture and realize I look like crap. Seeing yourself in a picture really helps you see if your eyeshadow and lipstick go together, whether you have the right shade of foundation, etc. I don't know why you can look in the mirror and think you look great, but then see yourself in a picture and realize you don't. It's weird.

I also agree with the lighted makeup mirror in different light settings. That helps, too.

myystiqueen

oh... it happened to me twice and i think it's because of the bad lighting in myy room.... i don't have the best lighting around and everything will come out differently under sunlight...

any rec for a good lighted makeup mirror?? am i better off with those which lighting can be adjusted - say, light; medium or high??

AdlersMommy22

MMMMMM... What p/p?

I normally let mine be a lil sticky that way it sticks to it..

but you know what?

Shell CCB has been a better base for me than my p/p. It's weird.

FiestyFemme

I typically do my makeup in daylight, and generally if it looks good on daylight, it looks good in whatever light, at least on me.
Nothing is worse than thinking you look awesome and then catching a horrible glimpse of yourself in the rearview mirror or under flourescent lighting somewhere.
Just check in lots of different lighting, and that should help.
I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as you thought.
smiles.gif

AdlersMommy22

Yeah dear God- I never knew what flourescent lighting was until I caught myself in it a few times and though "WHAT THE FREAKING HELL?"

I wish I could have a natural daylight spotlight fallow me everywhere. My makeup always looks flawless in the daylight. I hate that shit.

caramel_geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdlersMommy22
MMMMMM... What p/p?

I normally let mine be a lil sticky that way it sticks to it..

but you know what?

Shell CCB has been a better base for me than my p/p. It's weird.

Soft Ochre. Yeah, I'm starting to think that this might not be the right base for me. I'm thinking of going to Sephora and grab Too Faced Eyeshadow Insurance and Bare Canvas paint.
th_dunno.gif

snowflakelashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksis210

OMG I don't use the MACRO button b/c I don't know how but I DEFINATELY use the camera as my makeup test before going out. I mean not that I end up in photo's but if I DO I want my makeup to look good in them. LOL :-D I figure if I look good in a mirror (lighting in my room and bathroom is different). And under a camera then its good enough... if I still look bad after that then I'm just going to stay oblivious lol :-D

And hmm that Bed Bath and Beyond mirror sounds SUPER cool though.
smiles.gif

caramel_geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by myystiqueen
any rec for a good lighted makeup mirror?? am i better off with those which lighting can be adjusted - say, light; medium or high??

I was wondering about the same thing too. I went to target.com and amazon to look around for some lighted mirrors. But there are so many. So confusing...

Anyone has any good rec for a good mirror???

Latest posts