Kat Von D MAkeup !!!!

XxArtisticOnexX

I went to sephora the day they put it out and swatch the lipsticks they are pretty and bright. The brushes are pretty decent quality. I only got one palette, Beethoven. The eyeshadows are pigmented and stay on for a long time, There are very blendable. The liners are very pretty especally the Black. So I don't think I will get anything else for awhile. Tryen to save up for upcoming Mac collection.
smiles.gif

PolyphonicLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousmuffins
Er... not really. The Sephora under her name suggests to me that it is a Sephora exclusive. A collaboration with Sephora, if you will.

I can understand where you're coming from, D-Muff, but remember - this is just your opinion. and sadly, due to your statement about the shadows possibly being Sephora brand, people are missing out on what is otherwise a pretty good product.

btw, where I quoted you, you pretty much reinforced what Mae said - that its a collaboration. Besides, isn't it obvious that it's a Sephora exclusive?
tong.gif

SparklyDiamonds

The brush set is cute, but other than that the colors arent me, so money saved :p I would buy the brush set if there weren't 2137293 other things I wanted lol!

mae13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyphonicLove
I can understand where you're coming from, D-Muff, but remember - this is just your opinion. and sadly, due to your statement about the shadows possibly being Sephora brand, people are missing out on what is otherwise a pretty good product.

btw, where I quoted you, you pretty much reinforced what Mae said - that its a collaboration. Besides, isn't it obvious that it's a Sephora exclusive?
tong.gif

I agree that it's important to remember that it's a collaboration. So is the Marc Jacobs Daisy perfume and the accessories that go with it. (And then there are lines and products exclusively and specifically created for Sephora, like the VIP line of By Terry). Clearly there can be varying levels of designer input and resultant quality, you know? (I don't think it's a matter of them slapping a logo on a ready-made palette - from the blurb that was quoted, it's obvious Kat had a LOT of input into the creation of this line, you know?)

If you don't like the product that's totally cool, but it would be a shame to discount it right off the bat based on the fact that the products were produced in conjunction with Sephora. (Personally, for example, I have not had terrific experiences with the Blockbuster Palettes, but I really like the eyeshadow quads - not the monos.)

For what it's worth, the Sephora under the Kat von D name on the webpage was pretty obvious to me as an indicator that this was a collaboration, since it's not used in that way to indicate any other limited editions or exclusives - but then again, I suppose it can be open to interpretation. My comment in regards to Lucky magazine was just to say that in magazine articles, they are being pretty explicit about the connection between the two, and are not trying to hide it in order to 'trick' anyone, you know? That's all I meant.

bella1342

When I first read about this collection coming out, I think back in January or February, it was pretty clear that it was a line created by Kat, but it was Sephora brand makeup. I don't think they were trying to trick anyone.

I was never thrilled about Sephora brand e/s... in the past I was given many single eye shadows and the first blockbuster palette as a gift. I didn't like any of it. Something kept telling me to buy one of the Kat palettes though. So I did. My "ludwig" palette arrived today and I have to say I'm extremely pleased with the pigmentation of the palettes, enough so to order the beethoven palette too. I think a lot of people are missing out, but that's fine with me... because then I don't have to worry about the product selling out right away.

mizuki~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella1342
When I first read about this collection coming out, I think back in January or February, it was pretty clear that it was a line created by Kat, but it was Sephora brand makeup. I don't think they were trying to trick anyone.

I was never thrilled about Sephora brand e/s... in the past I was given many single eye shadows and the first blockbuster palette as a gift. I didn't like any of it. Something kept telling me to buy one of the Kat palettes though. So I did. My "ludwig" palette arrived today and I have to say I'm extremely pleased with the pigmentation of the palettes, enough so to order the beethoven palette too. I think a lot of people are missing out, but that's fine with me... because then I don't have to worry about the product selling out right away.

Oh yay! I changed the style of the site just to Thank you!
thmbup.gif
Hahah I've been eyeing that Ludwig palette for the longest time but turned skeptical once I heard that the shadows aren't so great. I'm glad you like it. Going to Sephora tomorrow to check it out. Hope I like it too!
yes.gif

MAC_Whore

I ordered both palettes, 3 of the liners and Hellbent LS. They should arrive today. I am looking forward to it. The colours are really nice. I swatched Hellbent at the store and it is a great red. It builds nicely.

I am pleased. Sephora makeup or not.

Kuuipo

Kat picked out the colours, she had some say in the packaging, that's quite a lot since she is not an incorporated cosmetic company nor is she a chemist or a mass manufacturer. Collaborations allow exposure otherwise not afforded elsewhere. Sephora collaborations generally give you very good value for the money.

bella1342

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuki~
Oh yay! I changed the style of the site just to Thank you!
thmbup.gif
Hahah I've been eyeing that Ludwig palette for the longest time but turned skeptical once I heard that the shadows aren't so great. I'm glad you like it. Going to Sephora tomorrow to check it out. Hope I like it too!
yes.gif

I hope you like it! Like I said, I tried many Sephora shadows, and never liked any, but these shadows are so smooth... and the pigmentation is very good. Are they going to be the best shadows you're ever going buy? Definitely not, but I'm pleased with my purchase. I think everyone who posted a review (on other sites too...) that actually ordered the palettes and received them already, are happy with their purchase. The only negative comments I see are from people who don't like Sephora brand makeup, and haven't even given the palettes a chance... or even swatched them for that matter. I just wish the products were a little cheaper... say maybe $25 per palette. That would be a lot better imo. Oh, the other thing that I don't really like is that both palettes have the same 3 e/s's in each palette.. so if you buy both palettes you will have dupes.

User40

I ordered the Beethoven palette; love the name. Especially love the purple shades and the packaging is beautiful. I had never heard of Kat before the launch of her m/u and haven't used Sephora brand before, but am willing to give them a try.

In her interview on YouTube, she tells how in depth her collaboration was with this line and it sounds like she was very involved, not just slapping her name on the box.

Krasevayadancer

I liken it to Heatherette's collab with MAC on their collection. In interviews they talked a lot about how involved with everything they were.

jpohrer

My Sephora got in the warm palette only. The colors reminded me of Carbon, Scarab/Sumptous Olive, Juxt, White Tie/Casablanca, Goldmine, Tan pigment, Bronze and Espresso. HTHS!

jillybean

I love Kat but can't say I'm thrilled it's a Sephora brand. I don't care much for their store brand but if it would have been her collaborating with MAC (how cool would that be?), Urban Decay, etc. I would be more into it. I do love that she did this regardless, though. I love the names!

duckduck

I can't wait to see swatches of all of this - especially the lipsticks. Anyone else notice how much the collection has been going for on e-bay?! Yeesh - I hope it doesn't sell out before I decide whether or not to make an order!

MAC_Whore

Some of the items on Sephora.com have sold out and since been restocked. I wouldn't worry too much. Sephora may not make this too "limited". They'll want to milk this cash cow for all they can. That's my guess.

MAC_Whore

Hey Kids! Here's the goods:

Palettes in low light:
KvDPalettesI.jpg

Palettes in bright light, L-R Ludvig, Beethoven:
KvDpaletesIII.jpg

L-R: MAC Russian Red, KvD Hellbent, MAC Port Red
HellbentI-1.jpg

Product Exteriors:
KvDMisc.jpg

Autograph Liquid Liners, L-R: Turbo Lover, Romantico, Black Metal Love
KvDLiquidLinersII.jpg

KvDLiquidLiners.jpg

I will swatch shadows shortly.
winks.gif

Packaging:
The first thing you notice is the tattoo-design packaging which really captured Kat's essence, IMO. The box it comes in is the same design as the palette exterior. When you take the palette out of the box, the palette itself is wrapped in a shimmery, asphalt-coloured tissue paper sealed with a sticker.

Quality for the Money:
I am pleased with the size. You get a lot for your money. Consider the brushes a waste though. They are impossibly tiny and made of a cheap, synthetic fibre, which doesn't pick up the shadow at all. I would recommend a good, natural-fibre brush, with medium to firm density bristles.

Autograph Liquid Liners:
The liquid liners have great colour payoff and mine stayed put.

+ Turbo Lover (Bronze Plum) is a really unique colour. Gorgeous.

+ I also purchased Romantico (Burnished antiqued gold). Romantico is the gold I die for. It's blackened to the point where it almost appears dark olive. Beautiful!

+ The third liner I purchased is Black Metal Love. It is a matte black with tiny flecks of silver. The colour is just as promised and very pretty.

Painted Love Lipsticks:
The only one that moved me was 'Hellbent'. I have swatched it above, between Russian Red and Port Red. It is definitely a blue-based red. 'Hellbent' might look intimidating and dark for some, but it has a nice buildable colour payoff. You could easily sheer it down with clear lip balm, if you wish. Personally, I love it full-on dark, so I pile it on!

The Palettes:
Like I mentioned before, a lot of bang for your buck. Great colours! Just a note: both palettes contain the colours: 'Lucifer' (black), 'Leather' (brown) and 'Tequila' (champagne highlight). 'Lucifer' is very similar to MAC Carbon and has great payoff. 'Leather' is a med-dark, neutral-based brown that will work on most. Might pull slightly gray on dark skin. It would be great in the brows on some, as well. 'Tequila' is a great highlight colour that is very similar to MAC Nylon. The formulation of the shadows aren't quite as fine as MACs, but still relatively good quality. I really think these palettes are WoC-friendly, as well.

Ludwig: The more neutral palette, has a lot of potential. All of the shadows have great colour payoff with the exception of 'Clay', which is a nearly invisible, MAC lustre-type formula. 'Nuf said.

'Downtown' reminds me of MAC Mythology, but in a formula that actually works. The stand-out winners are the two greens though. Gorgeous! They are described as: 'Orbi' (golden green shimmer), 'Dimebag' (metallic lime green). 'Dimebag' reminds me of MAC's DC'd Sprout, but 'Dimebag' is a much smoother formulation. 'Orbi' is better described as a darker, olive green with gold shimmer.

With the exception of 'Clay' (the crappy, lustre-type shadow), 'Lucifer' and 'Leather' (both mattes), the rest of the shadows are a shimmer formula similar to MAC's frost formula (maybe slightly more subdued though).

Beethoven: The cool-toned palette, with the more dramatic colours is my fave. With the exception of 'Lucifer', 'Leather' and 'Rad Purple' (all mattes), the rest of the shadows are a shimmer formula.

'Speed Blue' is similar to Flashtrack. 'Razor Grey' is the stand-out winner in this palette. It is a silvery, light-grey, with elements of blue and green. Very unique.

'Galeano' is described as metallic medium plum shimmer, but I would say it is better desribed as a soft, tauped lavender.

'Sinner' is a very soft light purple with slight black pearl. Doesn't really show up that strongly.

Final Take:
These are fun. I like them and am pleased with the money spent. I will swatch shadows and list MAC dupes shortly.
winks.gif

gigglegirl

oh wow....seeing the packaging in a real picture and not a stock photo just amplifies it!

I really want to order a liquid liner or two! That bronzed plum....yum! Is it close to Macroviolet f/l? I unfortunately would have to order unseen as there is no sephora in my city....

thanks in advance!

Latest posts