Koyudo brushes

MissHolland

Hi there, i was wondering if there are people on Specktra who own Koyudo brushes? I did 2 orders. Cant wait til they are mine! The brushes i bought are Fu-Pa01, Fu-PA02, Fu-PA14 and the H008. They are so cute!

Pinkdollface

Hi there, i was wondering if there are people on Specktra who own Koyudo brushes? I did 2 orders. Cant wait til they are mine! The brushes i bought are Fu-Pa01, Fu-PA02, Fu-PA14 and the H008. They are so cute!
I'm interested in them, but first I want to try some Hakuhodo. I would love to see some pics and your thoughts on them:)

MissHolland

Today i received my brushes :) Here are a few pictures of them. I need to use them a little longer for a good revieuw. But my first thought about the two brushes is very good. They are soft en de quality is good.

Koyudo fu-pa02 and Koyudo fu-pa14

Sylvia60

Hey!
I've just seen this thread.
I also have the fupa 14.
It's a peach of a brush, of course!

If you want to try the top of the top, do buy the red squirrel brush- it will change your life.

Piccasso does a similar one.
http://piccassobrush.com/en/20-102.html

But you can see the Koyudo is of a superior workmanship and less expensive.
http://cooljapannow.jp/detail.html?KEY=NEOKUD-210

Pinkdollface, I'm thinking the red squirrel would be divine with the Dior petal blush...
th_remoteImage-61.gif

If you're not familiar with it, the blog sweetmakeuptemptations (http://sweetmakeuptemptations.com/) has the best photos and reviews and analysis of the Koyudo brushes that I know of.

Pinkdollface

Hey!
I've just seen this thread.
I also have the fupa 14.
It's a peach of a brush, of course!

If you want to try the top of the top, do buy the red squirrel brush- it will change your life.

Piccasso does a similar one.
http://piccassobrush.com/en/20-102.html

But you can see the Koyudo is of a superior workmanship and less expensive.
http://cooljapannow.jp/detail.html?KEY=NEOKUD-210

Pinkdollface, I'm thinking the red squirrel would be divine with the Dior petal blush...
th_remoteImage-61.gif

If you're not familiar with it, the blog sweetmakeuptemptations (http://sweetmakeuptemptations.com/) has the best photos and reviews and analysis of the Koyudo brushes that I know of.
I'm not comfortable buying squirrel brushes. Horse and goat are fine with me, but those animals have been kept as farm animals for so long by humans and squirrels just belong in the wild in my eyes.

I love the sweetmakeuptemptations blog! She indeed has amazing photos and reviews.

Sylvia60

I'm not comfortable buying squirrel brushes. Horse and goat are fine with me, but those animals have been kept as farm animals for so long by humans and squirrels just belong in the wild in my eyes.

I love the sweetmakeuptemptations blog! She indeed has amazing photos and reviews.
I completely understand your reticence with squirrel brushes.
Did you know Wayne Goss is bringing out a cruelty-free line of brushes?

I'm glad you like the smt blog. It's a fabulous guide to Japanese brushes and how to obtain them.
MissHolland, how are you using the Fupa 14?

Pinkdollface

I completely understand your reticence with squirrel brushes.
Did you know Wayne Goss is bringing out a cruelty-free line of brushes?

I'm glad you like the smt blog. It's a fabulous guide to Japanese brushes and how to obtain them.
MissHolland, how are you using the Fupa 14?
Ow yes I do know about Wayne Goss' makeup brushes and I'm really looking forward to them!

Sylvia60

Me, too!
But until they arrive on the market, do consider Koyudo's CO11 s a lovely crease brush.

MissHolland

Sylvia, i love Sonia her blog! I use the Fu-Pa14 for blending en blush. Its soooooooooooooo soft. Dont know yet where to use the Fu-Pa02 for.. Dont like it for foundation. To big and it drinks your foundation! I Always use 1 or sometimes 2 pumps and now i need to use 4 pumps! Waaay too much. Which Koyudo brushes do you have?

I dont know if i going to buy a squirrel brush again. Every time i use the Fu-Pa14 i see a cut squirrel for me aaahhhhh. So i need to think about it :)

jewelnabq

You are right on target. After reading the Sweettemptations blogs I thought the Koyudo brushes were cruelty free. Being they are from Japan, I should have known better. I ordered some brushes from Koyodo including the BP036 and BP032, and the fu-pa07-p. Imagine my dismay and horror when I received a call from the Fed EX center in Alaska saying that my package was being returned to the shipper in Japan because the brushes contained Siberian Weasel, an endangered species and was illegal to ship to the USA. I am seriously rethinking my future brush purchases and plan on doing more investigation into whom I buy from. Wayne Goss brushes are great and have ordered a few but his are also made in Japan. Japan apparently does not recognize "cruelty free" practices so I am suspect.

Sylvia60

Quote:Originally Posted by jewelnabq

You are right on target. After reading the Sweettemptations blogs I thought the Koyudo brushes were cruelty free. Being they are from Japan, I should have known better. I ordered some brushes from Koyodo including the BP036 and BP032, and the fu-pa07-p. Imagine my dismay and horror when I received a call from the Fed EX center in Alaska saying that my package was being returned to the shipper in Japan because the brushes contained Siberian Weasel, an endangered species and was illegal to ship to the USA. I am seriously rethinking my future brush purchases and plan on doing more investigation into whom I buy from. Wayne Goss brushes are great and have ordered a few but his are also made in Japan. Japan apparently does not recognize "cruelty free" practices so I am suspect.

You've genuinely horrified me. Adios to Japanese brush buying.

jewelnabq

I am with you. I also posted the information to Sonia on the SweetTemptations blog. I am curious to see how she reacts. Apparently some of these Koyudo brushes, and I am betting some of the other Japanese brushes as well, are using endangered animals to manufacture these brushes. I am wondering if she realizes her collection does indeed include items considered illegal to bring in the USA and include endangered species. Now I understand why these brushes are made to order.

jewelnabq

Sonia wrote me back after I posted it. She said she would not post it and deleted the comment. I will quote part of her email to me.
"Hello Julia,
I got your comment and I wanted to reply to you and tell you why I won't approve it.
Obviously there is always a risk but I understood by talking to them that Japan has the same sources (whatever the company) but I am not supposed to know that, so that is why I am not supposed to say because some things are contractual and then I will be in trouble if I talk on their behalf.
What I understood from any company there, is that they are cruelty free brushes as the animals are not killed for their hair, they are either shaved or they come from exterminations or other natural deaths.
Depending on the countries, they don't know how this hair has been collected (and there are real hair hunters, so they have regulations to discourage them), hence all is flagged endangered species, and all companies depending on how they got the hair sometimes are also enduring those regulations and fall in the same basket."

THis is just a portion of the email. Then I responded with another one. I am trying to be as polite as possible and we are emailing each other back and forth on this.

Odelia

I am guessing it must have been specifically the BP036 Eyeshadow Brush which got flagged for return since it's the only one you listed that is made from Kolinsky hair (also known as Siberian Weasel). I did a bit of reading and saw this about art brushes (Source Link): "Kolinsky is a particular strain of mink that lived at one time in the Kola Peninsula in the western part of Russia and was the source for the finest red sable brushes. Today, there are no kolinskys left in the area. This animal is virtually extinct and is, therefore, a protected species in Russia. The name "kolinsky," however, is currently used to denote the hair acquired from the Asian mink, Mustela siberica, that lives in Siberia, northern China, and Korea. Hairs from the tail of this animal were highly prized and set the world standard for length (up to 2 ½ inches), spring, and point. The finest varieties, the longest and the thickest hairs, come from the coldest climates and, because Siberia is farthest north, the best kolinsky comes from the Soviet Union. The longest and strongest hair is taken from the male winter coat of the kolinsky. The Soviets have severely restricted trade of the animal, and at this time the German brush manufacturer daVinci (who produces brushes under the names Realité and Cosmos), is the only one who claims still to be trading with them and using this hair. It is the only manufacturer that I have found that will volunteer information about its finest brushes, such as whether it is using male winter coat hair and how much is being used. Other manufacturers, such as Grumbacher, claim still to be using old stock that they accumulated before the restrictions. Manufacturers that have exhausted their stock are now using the Chinese and Korean kolinsky. The color of Siberian kolinsky hair is brown with a distinctive yellowish-red tint. The Chinese variety tends to be slightly darker with less red. Tiny dark spots running the length of the hair are not unusual. The term "red sable" comes from the reddish tint this hair naturally possesses. Because this hair often sells for several thousands of dollars per pound, it is not uncommon to find hair that has been cosmetically treated to look like the Siberian variety. Crudely treated hairs can often be recognized by an unnatural bright orange tint." Also want to add that the IUCN (the people who maintain the endangered species Red List.) have the Siberian Weasel species listed as "Least Concern" in view of its wide distribution, presumed large population, and because it is unlikely to be declining at nearly the rate required to qualify for listing in a threatened category. (Source) It was really interesting reading and very informative. So, I guess things still remain clouded in concern with Kolinksy hair use and/or how it's acquired and distributed/regulated. I think I can better understand now what Sonia@SweetMakeupTemptations was trying to say in her email reply back to you, [@]jewelnabq[/@] :nods:

jewelnabq

Yes, you are correct it was the BP brushes that did not make it through US customs. They are indeed considered the Siberian Weasel which according to the customs office, on the endangered species list. I received a letter from the US customs office saying they sent the package back. In essence it is illegal to import anything listed on the endangered list in the USA. I wish I had known this before. This was disheartening to say the least. What I would like is that this information is out there and that people will need to take action based on their own conscience. I was not sure if these brushes were cruelty free, and everything I heard has been vague. But considering Japan's record on obeying international law when it comes to bans and animals, like say whaling for example, I guess it should not have surprised me.

Ece Kaplan

hi first of all sorry for my english. I am considering to purchase some bp brushes ( bp39 and bp16) snd I will use my friends adress and the adress is in usa. I wonder if the restriction valid for all pb brushes ? or just the kolinksy ones

Ece Kaplan

hi first of all sorry for my english. I am considering to purchase some bp brushes ( bp39 and bp16) snd I will use my friends adress and the adress is in usa. I wonder if the restriction valid for all pb brushes ? or just the kolinksy ones

jewelnabq

It is the Kolinsky brushes only. I also recommend shipping through EMS or Airmail. It was Fed Ex who will check and inspect from what I am hearing from the company.

Latest posts