Life as we know it...when did it begin [hot button debate]

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
As someone who stands to benefit a LOT from stem cell research, I don't wholly endorse it, e.g. I don't say create embryos for the sake of destruction.
But...despite religious beliefs etc., I think, from unused, unwanted, wasted embryos, the gains to be made are unbelievable, and...with some research possibly life changing for me and my family.

I totally agree with you 100%...

lipstickandhate

Re: The American Health Care System... sucks =[ (Sicko, Michael Moore)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukiyomi
It's the principle of it. A life is a life. They shouldn't be going to waste in the first place.
ssad.gif

What? What is the "principle" of it? How would you prevent it from going to waste? Forcefully implant unused embryos in women? Maybe we ought to make women having fertility treatments accept ALL viable embryo implants, instead of allowing them and their doctor's to choose.

I don't even understand the debate. You need a uterus for a baby to grow. No uterus= no baby, its pretty simple.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstickandhate
I don't even understand the debate. You need a uterus for a baby to grow. No uterus= no baby, its pretty simple.

You don't technically need a uterus. But it is the only organ equipped to deal with the intimate attachment the placenta makes with it's host organ during the development of the baby. Thats why ectopic pregnancies are so dangerious to the life of the mother. But a baby can develop outside the uterus.

Kimberleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
You don't technically need a uterus. But it is the only organ equipped to deal with the intimate attachment the placenta makes with it's host organ during the development of the baby. Thats why ectopic pregnancies are so dangerious to the life of the mother. But a baby can develop outside the uterus.

Of course, but the embryo won't survive if the mother doesn't survive...so technically, yes, a uterus is needed.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberleigh
Of course, but the embryo won't survive if the mother doesn't survive...so technically, yes, a uterus is needed.

Thats not true.

The danger in a ectopic pregnancies is not taking the baby to term. It's in the delivery. The danger involves how the placenta makes an intimate attachment with the body during the development of a embryo. And due to the intimate attachment it makes with whatever organ it latches onto, removing the placenta can be life threatening to the mother because of the difficulty in stoping the bleeding, depending on where the placenta attached.

Thats why we get a period. The lining of the uterous allows the placenta to attach to a part of our body were designed the shed naturally. So typically, giving birth is not life threatening. Granted it's not w/out the possibility of complications. So yeh... You can still bring a baby to term in a ectopic pregnancy. But it's a very high risk type of a pregnancy, so typically if a ectopic pregnancy is detected, it will be terminated because they are so high risk.

Edit Again: To clarify, talking more about abdominal pregnancies since this would be a pregnancy w/out any part of the uterous/fallopian tubes etc. Not your typical ectopic, which is a tubal pregnancy. Taking a baby to term in a tubal would be very dangerious to the mother.

Edit:
Case Study on it...

It's really REALLY rare for this to happen. But it is possible.

http://ijms.sums.ac.ir/0012/motazedian0012.html

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Thats not true.

The danger in a ectopic pregnancies is not taking the baby to term. It's in the delivery. The danger involves how the placenta makes an intimate attachment with the body during the development of a embryo. And due to the intimate attachment it makes with whatever organ it latches onto, removing the placenta can be life threatening to the mother because of the difficulty in stoping the bleeding, depending on where the placenta attached.

Thats why we get a period. The lining of the uterous allows the placenta to attach to a part of our body were designed the shed naturally. So typically, giving birth is not life threatening. Granted it's not w/out the possibility of complications. So yeh... You can still bring a baby to term in a ectopic pregnancy. But it's a very high risk type of a pregnancy, so typically if a ectopic pregnancy is detected, it will be terminated because they are so high risk.

Edit Again: To clarify, talking more about abdominal pregnancies since this would be a pregnancy w/out any part of the uterous/fallopian tubes etc. Not your typical ectopic, which is a tubal pregnancy. Taking a baby to term in a tubal would be very dangerious to the mother.

Edit:
Case Study on it...

It's really REALLY rare for this to happen. But it is possible.

http://ijms.sums.ac.ir/0012/motazedian0012.html

I had an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy almost 19 years ago...I was about 8-9 weeks pregnant (and had just found out). I had to have emergency surgery because the embryo was stretching my fallopian tube so much that I was bleeding internally, my abdominal cavity was full of blood and they didn't even let me go home to get some clothes because they didn't want to risk the tube rupturing and me bleeding to death in a matter of minutes. It freaked me out...but I was able to have two kids afterwards. Ectopics are extremely dangerous, and I don't know of a single doctor that would even consider letting someone with an ectopic (tubal or otherwise) continue the pregnancy.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
Ectopics are extremely dangerous, and I don't know of a single doctor that would even consider letting someone with an ectopic (tubal or otherwise) continue the pregnancy.

Pretty scary how dangerious haveing a child can be.