Lifespan of Paint Pots

darklocke

Does anyone have an opinion on how long one can keep a MAC Paint Pot? I mean, I have two of them, and I want some of the other colors, but it'd be a waste of money if I'd have to throw them away in.. 6 months anyway. Do they "live forever" if they're well taken care of?

moopoint

Good question! I wanna know too
greengrin.gif

Sanayhs

I bought my first paint pot in August of 2007, I believe? Anyhow, it's still perfect. Some people find they dry out unless you store them upside down, but storing them this way also means you can see what colour is in each pot and read the label! You should be safe to buy more.
winks.gif

HustleRose

my 2 oldest paint pots - blackground & indianwood, i've had for about 2 years now and they are still in great condition. as long as you don't leave them open they should still stay good.

lara

As long as you keep them tightly sealed, away from direct sunlight and strong heat and/or humidity, you'll be fine.

As with all things cosmetic - if it changes colour/smell/texture/taste, ditch it. If not, go nuts.

darklocke

Thank you so much for all your replies! I'm storing them upside down in a drawer, in a small cabinet meant for screws and other small tools. Then I'll be getting myself a few more Paint Pots!
greengrin.gif

LMD84

my paint pots seem ok and the oldest one is about 1.5 years old and still good. my rollickin feels dryer than the rest but not sure if it's just the texture of that particular paint pot. i store mine upside down in a cabinet where it's usually cool and no sunlight hits them.
smiles.gif

-moonflower-

My oldest is Rollickin' and I've had that for about a year. I store them upside down in a shoe box and they're still exactly as they were when I bought them.
They'd better have a long shelf life because they're so hard to use up! I use them all the time, but I've still got at least 80% left in them all.

abbyquack

My oldest one is about a year old, and it is not dry at all...but I do have a couple from the McQueen collection that appear to be separating from the jar. I keep them upside down and lids tight, so I'm hoping that helps. They last forever though, I used my Painterly everyday for like 6 mos and was sure it was almost gone so I bought a b/u to have on hand, but still have never finished my first one, so I got rid of my b/u b/c I knew I'd never get to it.
lol.gif

LRWade

As long as you're not sharing with anyone and/or clean your brushes often then they should keep for a good few years. The main reason for any makeup not lasting long is micro-organismal growth, so cleanliness will increase any shelf life.

gildedangel

"Technically" you should throw them out after a year, but I have had mine for over a year and it is still good. Just take good care of them and they should last, but if you even think that it is going off throw it away!

BunnyBunnyBunny

All of mine are fine. Pharoah, and Quite Natural and separated a little bit but they're still soft and creamy. So as of now, well-taken care of 2 year old Paint Pots are still A-Okay!
smiles.gif

darklocke

I'm using a brush in them, and I'm thinking that I could spritz them with alcohol once in a while to sanitize them. I'm just afraid of them going stale or something, but Fix+ was mentioned, so if it happens I'll try that. How on Earth am I going to go through 6 Paint Pots in a year?
winks.gif

darklocke

That makes sense.. Hm.. Will not to that then. But I've seen people here saying that they spritz this and that with alcohol to sanitize it, wouldn't it do the same damage?

gildedangel

I am pretty sure that alcohol will dry them out on the long term, if you go through them quickly using them on clients and such then maybe it works. Otherwise, just use a tissue and wipe off the top layer of the paintpot.

Latest posts