• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

"Love that old gold" tutorial (my 1st - pic heavy!)

DevinGirl

I'm 99% positive that I included way too many pictures, but this is my first tut, so I tried to include as much detail as possible. For me, tut's are easier to follow when the person is as specific as they can be. So here goes!

I mostly use MAC Pigment samples (from Ebay & such) for my looks. I don't currently have the fundage or the patience to wait until I can buy full-size jars. Besides, for me, I'll never be able to go through a full-size jar, so the sample sizes work well for me
smiles.gif

Materials:
materialsea2.jpg

Brushes
The brushes w/ the silver handles are from Ebay. They're no specific brand.
The one w/ the black handle to the right is supposed to be a version of MAC's Fluff brush. The one (dk blue handle, next to the shimmer strips) is an Avon Foundation brush. The one that's next to that Zhen loose powder (far right) is a L'Oreal one, I believe it's a blush brush.

Face
-Clarins True Comfort Foundation in Praline
-MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NC42
-MAC Primary Yellow & Provence Pigments
Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips in Vegas Strip
LureBeauty Mineral Foundation in Apple Taffy
MAC Sheertones Blush in Blunt
Zhen Loose Powder in Cream

Eyes
Urban Decay Primer Potion (sample size)
MAC Pigments: Old Gold, Teal, & Naked
L'Oreal HIP Duo in Saucy (I broke the damn lid right before I started this tut. Grr)
Rimmel Eyebrow Pencil in Dark Brown
Rimmel Eyeliner in Black Magic
Max Factor Lash Perfection Mascara in Rich Black
Revlon Eyelash Curler

Here's how I did my look. Obviously you can add or omit any step you please, this is just how I did it.
smiles.gif

Start with a bare face (I don't use moisturizer & always listen to music as I apply my makeup):
barefacenw7.jpg

Use foundation brush to pick up foundation & blend, blend, blend:
step1ct8.jpg

Yay, the bare-faced monster's fading away!
step1completedhb0.jpg

Get whatever loose powder to use to make your "anti-falling- eyeshadow particle" defense shield!
gettingpowderreadywk3.jpg

The ghostly weirdo emerges:
afterpowder2qp6.jpg

Apply your Urban Decay Primer Potion:
puttingonurbandecayprimmb3.jpg

I smooth it in with my fingers. (I concentrate it on my actual lids & apply with a lighter touch toward my browbone as I find that the udpp sort of makes it harder to blend shadows):
smoothingprimerpotionsq9.jpg

Whip out your L'Oreal HIP Duo in Saucy!
brownsaucyej2.jpg

Apply the dark shade of the Saucy Duo to the outer crease:
applyingsaucylb1.jpg

After blending a bit outward & upward, try to keep the color concentrated to the crease, try to make it dark:
darkeningthesaucyinthecor2.jpg

Should look sumpthin' like this:
afterbrownsaucyzi9.jpg

Get your Old Gold:
oldgoldstepyq7.jpg

Apply it right in the middle of your lid - making sure to blend where Saucy ends:
puttingonoldgoldbg1.jpg

Should look like this:
afteroldgoldwz1.jpg

Get the Teal (notice the shape of my brush):
tealtl1.jpg

Apply in the inner corner of your eye. Start with a small concentrated area first - making a bit of a triangle shape:
firstputtingontealox4.jpg

after1stapplicationofteax9.jpg

Then blend outward & blend (as much or as little as you like) with the Old Gold boundary:
blendingtealtb1.jpg

Get get naked! (I use the MAC Fluff brush look-alike)
nakedstepkn1.jpg

Apply to brow bone above the Saucy, Old Gold, & Teal borders (again, blending as much or as little as desired):
applyingnakedyr5.jpg

applyingnakedzl4.jpg

Should resemble this:
afternakedui4.jpg

Take an angled fluffy brush (like the one shown) to blend the edges of Saucy if they look messy:
brushusedtofluffty0.jpg

fluffthesaucywg2.jpg

Do yer brows:
browsmk8.jpg

Line. This technique is kind of tricky. But growing up this is how my mother did it, so...I picked it up & have been doing it ever since.
lininger4.jpg

*Yay* I didn't poke my eye out!
afterlinersd3.jpg

In case of mistakes (like the Saucy got blended to far down) take the foundation brush (should still have some foundation residue) & smudge away imperfections:
incaseofmistakeswithsauvf0.jpg

Curl, Curl, & Curl:
curlcurlym8.jpg

Mascara-ify. Something I like to do is lodge the brush into the base of your lashes, wiggle it firmly & close eyes while you bring the wand up.
mascarawp6.jpg

mascaradonezt8.jpg

I used the L'Oreal brush (squeezing it flat) to brush away the excess powder:
brushawaypowdermg7.jpg

Take the brush you used with Teal & gently line your lower lid (undeneath the black liner):
applyingtealtobottomlidqk5.jpg

In case you line too harshly, use the trusty foundation brush trick:
toningdowntealonbottomlll1.jpg

Apply mascara to your lower lashes:
mascaraaftertealtobottovs5.jpg

Break out the highlighter! (I used the middle strips, goldy & light bronzey. Also the brush is small & has a flattish/roundish head):
showinghighlighterlo1.jpg

Put the highlighter on the tops of your cheekbones:
applyinghighlighteril0.jpg

Get the Apple Taffy Blush (I'm applying with a small angled brush):
showingappletaffysmallcob6.jpg

Since this particular blush is pretty heavily pigmented, I usually only use whatever has accumulated on the lid:
showingthatiuseasmuchisbq6.jpg

I go along with the curve of my cheek bones & toward my hairline I make a "C" shape from about my temple to the middle of my cheek.
applyingappletaffyre7.jpg

MAC Blunt time! (This brush has a roundish head & is very thick & full)
showingbluntbigbrushpr6.jpg

First I apply this parallel to my hairline & angle slightly towards the middle of my cheek.
applyingbluntki7.jpg

I squish the brush sort of flat with my fingers & do some fine contouing to the hollows of my cheeks. The whole application is performed with a very very slight amount of blunt. This blush is very dramtic.
contouringwithbluntlm7.jpg

Make your fish face!
finecontourwithbluntty9.jpg

Slap on some SuperBalm (Mango Tint)
applyingsuperbalmhp1.jpg

And...fifteen hours later - we're done! Hehe... Your finished product should look like this:
finishedcloseuponeeyecc0.jpg

finishedbotheyesslightlcy3.jpg

finished1dl9.jpg

The sultry pose:
finishedvixeniq5.jpg

I hope this wasn't too hard to follow. Thanks for looking!
smiles.gif

juicyaddict

I love this so much! So simple and nicely done. I love the colors, too. You make me think about primary yellow pigment now.

makeupgal

I have been anxiously awaiting a tut from you. Nice job! I love the colors and the instructions were the best. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

Kim.

I absolutly love this. I would have never thought of old gold going with teal. I hope to see more tuts from you in the future
smiles.gif

MsCuppyCakes

Dev, thank you so much for taking the time to put this tutorial together. I gotta "play" with my pigments more! I also have a ton of HiP eyeshadows that I need to start wearing.

mzreyes

love love love it!!! do you have your pigments already mixed into your foundation? or do you mix it everyday? its flawless
smiles.gif

urbanlilyfairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathless
omg! a tut from you! my dreams have come true!! lol.

My words exactly ... Devin this tut rocks my socks ...it was great i hope to see more tut's from you in the future ...! can't wait to try this out ..i'm getting some pigment samples in the mail in a few days yay ..and i ordered all the ones you used already woooooot
clap.gif
thanks so much for the inspirationnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn happy happy joy joy ...lol ok the end.

DevinGirl

As ususal you all are too sweet to me! Thanks for the positive response. I was afraid that it would be too much to follow b/c I don't really have an actual 'technique' lol. I'm glad if I can make a few of you want to experiment with colors (pigments & various shadows), that's pretty much an ultimate goal for me! Go a little wild!
smiles.gif

Quote:
love love love it!!! do you have your pigments already mixed into your foundation? or do you mix it everyday? its flawless
smiles.gif

I have a little container pre-mixed w/ my foundation. I will be absolutely grateful when I can get my MAC SSF NC40 - so I don't have to combine so many things! Thank you
smiles.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by breathless Omg! a tut from you! my dreams have come true!! lol.

My words exactly ... Devin this tut rocks my socks ...it was great i hope to see more tut's from you in the future ...! can't wait to try this out ..i'm getting some pigment sampl
es in the mail in a few days yay ..and i ordered all the ones you used already woooooot
clap.gif
thanks so much for the inspirationnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn happy happy joy joy ...lol ok the end.

blush-anim-cl.gif
smiles.gif
You two are too much!
blush-anim-cl.gif
smiles.gif
You are more than welcome & I'm glad, Urbanlilyfairy - you are getting some samples in the mail. It's like the greatest feeling when they arrive! You're such a sweetie, Breathless!

Thank you all again, &, yes...I'll quit being so nervous & thinking that the way I apply makeup must be wrong & just do more tutorials when I'm asked! Gracias for the feedback, it is certainly appreciated!

Austrian_Babe

thank you for the detail tutorial, it really helps to understand the single steps. I seriously love every single part of the look!
You´re gorgeous btw!!!!!

Latest posts