Lure Banned

ms.marymac

I just found out that Belk, a department store in the South East will not be carrying the Lure collection. The images associated with the collection was not up to Belk standards. Instead of selling the products without hanging the pictures, they are just refusing to sell them.

I understand that their customers are usually pretty conservative, but this is just stupid. It's like they think all the products in the collection are tainted with the sex, because the visuals show a topless woman (with her breasts covered).

If you want, you can write to them and tell them they are stupid here:

https://www.belk.com/main/customer_c...=1146803503174

coachkitten

I have never even heard of that store! That is pretty crazy! You would think that in 2006 that would be okay! It isn't like she is naked! How crazy!!!!

MizMac

At nordies with have the G-rated Pam postcard. I wonder if we are going to have issues with this as well

midnightlouise

I wonder if they'll do that here...Nashvegas isn't the most conservative place in the South, but it'd probably a company-wide thing. Weird. I see teenagers showing more actual T&A walking down the street these days than that pic shows...

arbonnechick

Belk is a pretty crap store, IMO.
We have one here, and all they carry is Estee Lauder, Clinique and Lancome.

ninabruja

are they unfamiliar with mermaid imagery or something? that sundressing postcard that's ALL boobs is more vulgar..

farra712

I used to work at a Belk, and they really were ridiculous about stuff like that. They cater to older people, and so they think they have to protect them from the pictures. They have had the same Estee Lauder posters up since they opened 2 years ago because they felt that all the new ones have been inappropriate. They bought the McRae's which is the only place nearby with a MAC (counter) and Pam is still up and sundressing went up, so I am guessing they might have Lure...I don't know...I hope so.

mspixieears

Wow, am really sorry to hear that, that's stupid, if you don't mind me saying.

Why is the naked body seen as vulgar? It isn't! It's a beautiful thing, different people can make it vulgar or beautiful by how they choose to treat or interpret it, via images. So sad.

I don't like Pam that much, but I thought the VG images of her were hot, and that Sunshrine image from last year, wow! It makes me proud to be a woman, and have boobies
smiles.gif
regardless of their size.

Colorqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
I just found out that Belk, a department store in the South East will not be carrying the Lure collection. The images associated with the collection was not up to Belk standards. Instead of selling the products without hanging the pictures, they are just refusing to sell them.

I understand that their customers are usually pretty conservative, but this is just stupid. It's like they think all the products in the collection are tainted with the sex, because the visuals show a topless woman (with her breasts covered).

If you want, you can write to them and tell them they are stupid here:

https://www.belk.com/main/customer_c...=1146803503174

Hmmm. Making such a stand takes guts, in my opinion.

Just order online- I never get to see MAC- we have no counters, stores, or ANYTHING here. I have to depend on you all to even let me know what is out there, and I have to order anything I want.

If I can do it all of the time, this once won't hurt you. You will appreciate having it around when you can buy it, that is for sure.

greengrin.gif

ms.marymac

It does take guts, but at the same time it kind of doesn't make sense to me. I just don't see why they can't ask the counters not to hang up the posters. I also think about the Tom Ford Amber Nude ad (which is a beautiful pic in my opinion), the Sundressing poster (her boobies are even more visable than the Lure one, IMO), the tiny skirts they sell for teens, etc. It doesn't seem consistant, you know?

I am not sure how many people here buy their products at Belk but maybe this will save them a trip this summer.

asteffey

i think this is a really good example of censoring based on a demographic. its pretty useless and i think it is a stupid business move.

Clada

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbonnechick
Belk is a pretty crap store, IMO.
We have one here, and all they carry is Estee Lauder, Clinique and Lancome.

I used to think so too, I grew up with a crappy Belk. But the one in Charlotte NC is AMAZING, carries MAC, Stila, Bobbie Brown, Laura Mercier and so on.
When they took over, the added Benefit to our Belk, (JC TN) and Keihls and Benefit were added to one in Knoxville TN. At the same time, a freestanding store opened up in west Knoxville, and it is terrible. I guess it depends on the area and what those people in that area buy.
ahh, banning sucks
ssad.gif

Quiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightlouise
I wonder if they'll do that here...Nashvegas isn't the most conservative place in the South, but it'd probably a company-wide thing. Weird. I see teenagers showing more actual T&A walking down the street these days than that pic shows...

rofl.gif
@ T&A

I am in Nashville too..where the heck is the Belk Store here? If it is in Mt. Juliet (like I think I heard) do you even think there will be a MAC counter there?

Wontpayretail23

I'm a huge MAC fan. But you know I give Belks alot of credit for standing up for what they believe in. I agree, if you don't support the images don't even promote the product so you get your opinion accross to the company. Kudos for Belks.

dstroyedangel

As much as it DOESNT make sense to us, a younger generation to which these images are considered normal, this store apparently isnt concerned with what WE think but that of their consumers (old conservative people)--- it makes sense....
I've been to foreign countries, one of which Saudi Arabia has NO pictures whatsoever of any collections maybe some like symbols or like artwork for a collection- but never pictures of people (men/women/anything) oh yes and only men work at those counters....
just thought I'd let you know
smiles.gif

72Cosmo

dstroyedangel said:
As much as it DOESNT make sense to us, a younger generation to which these images are considered normal, this store apparently isnt concerned with what WE think but that of their consumers (old conservative people)--- it makes sense....

I'm in my early 50's and it doesn't make sense to me. Of course I'm very liberal. I adore MAC's advertising. Just as all younger people shouldn't be lumped together on how they think, look etc. neither should older people. (not that I consider myself old)

dstroyedangel

72Cosmo said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroyedangel

I'm in my early 50's and it doesn't make sense to me. Of course I'm very liberal. I adore MAC's advertising. Just as all younger people shouldn't be lumped together on how they think, look etc. neither should older people. (not that I consider myself old)

By my saying that I didnt mean it as anything discriminatory or the such, I hope you understand, my mom is about your age as well and she isnt way conservative or liberal but Im sure that picture would get her to say ...oohhh..... MAC's advertising is aimed at catching your eye, getting you to make a second look and then thirdly approach over to where they can "lure,bait and hook you" ... lol

Latest posts