MA Rudeness/Bad MAC experiences/Rants

marusia

Every time I go shopping for makeup, I go with a clean face with nothing on. I like the experience of trying things on before I buy it. I also wear loose, non-flattering clothes whenever I'm going shopping because they are comfortable and I like the convenience of being able to slip out of something quickly whenever I'm buying clothes.

I've only had three shopping experiences that were NOT completely horrific. The first time was at Macy's. I had this awesome asian girl that actually took more than 2 seconds to help me. She kept recommending products that she thought would go good with my skin tone. Not only did I buy every single one of them, but I've been hooked to this day.

The second time, I had a busy woman help me with my eye shadows. She matched me with some pretty eyeshadows and customized a palette for me...I wasn't a huge fan after a while, since she matched me for blue eyes. (Mine are green), but I again, bought everything and wore it.

The third time, I rushed into the store since it was packed, found a girl, asked if she could help me with something. She asked what, and I said I needed a Nymphette lipglass. She grabbed it for me and I asked if there was anything else I needed to do. She looked at me in shock...(almost like a, is my commission seriously going to be this easy?) and said nope. I paid and left.

I have always wanted to get my skin matched and still haven't to this day. Every time I go shopping, I get pushed to the side for the girls with makeup plastered on their face.

Not trying to be a bitch, but I've spent $1,300 at Maccosmetics.com just this week alone...I would think that's above what most people do, but I get pushed over almost every time just because I look like a hobo. That commission could be a MUA's, if they were willing to help me. My closest store is 1 1/2 hours away, and I'm honestly not willing to take the drive just to get ignored! (and pay 10% sales tax while I'm there.
ssad.gif
)

Folie

Just wanna vent

So, I had some errands to do today. I decide to swing my local MAC counter, because it was near. OMG! The service was terrible. I don't get to go often. I was playing around and doing a ton of swatches. I was eyeing a few paintpots, paints, and piggies. I was looking at the displaying and about to pick up another paint pot when the SA rudely turns it. She was helping someone else, but still. Be polite. Then, she was all can I interest you in this? (to the lady she was helping) The lady was all what is that. I was all, she was all rude and the lady didn't even ask to see it. So, I decided on what pigments and brushes I wanted. The lady like ignores me. I'm all excuse me. I was being polite. She's fiddling around doing nothing. I ask another SA and they didn't help either I waited ten minutes.
th_dunno.gif
So, I'm getting ready to just leave. Trying to make mental notes of what swatches I liked to order online. I guess the manager walks by and the original SA is "can I help you?". I'm all
nonono.gif
. I told her, I was going to buy these and I put out the pignments I want and point to the brushes I liked but I'm noy because she completely ignored me. I walked off. Grrrr... I hate shopping offline.

foxxylatina07

Re: Just wanna vent

Damn I'm sorry that this happened to you
ssad.gif
I would've been pissed off too. Hmm maybe you should try another MAC store because not all are the same
yes.gif
I'm pretty sure she felt stupid because you were going to spend a good amount and not waste her time but her lost. I haven't had this problem with them so I can't really say anything bad about them but I have heard other people's experience yours included and it makes me mad. If I ever happend to go through that I'm going to say something. Geez what is wrong with people nowadays?
angry.gif

LaBruja760

That happens to me the majority of the time at the MAC stores in San Diego and the counter in Macys at the Imperial Valley Mall. Im a big online chopper!

Teggy

Sorry to hear that you had such a lousy experience. I think you did the absolute right thing to complain to the manager, then take your business elsewhere. Customer service matters, and because they did a poor job, someone else gets the sale.

I have a lot of MAC counters and stores around me (Los Angeles), and have definitely found that some places have a better attitude than others. And I'd much rather give my business to someone with friendly, helpful service than those who ignore me or are rude.

Folie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxylatina07
Damn I'm sorry that this happened to you
ssad.gif
I would've been pissed off too. Hmm maybe you should try another MAC store because not all are the same
yes.gif
I'm pretty sure she felt stupid because you were going to spend a good amount and not waste her time but her lost. I haven't had this problem with them so I can't really say anything bad about them but I have heard other people's experience yours included and it makes me mad. If I ever happend to go through that I'm going to say something. Geez what is wrong with people nowadays?
angry.gif

I wish I could, but that Mac store is an hour away from me. So, I don't go to the store often. I think I'm going to wait until I get a chance to go to NY and go to a pro store. I've alway wanted to and I think a prostore might be more polite.

Folie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBruja760
That happens to me the majority of the time at the MAC stores in San Diego and the counter in Macys at the Imperial Valley Mall. Im a big online chopper!

They should treat us better. It's a recession and we want to give them our business.

Folie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teggy
Sorry to hear that you had such a lousy experience. I think you did the absolute right thing to complain to the manager, then take your business elsewhere. Customer service matters, and because they did a poor job, someone else gets the sale.

I have a lot of MAC counters and stores around me (Los Angeles), and have definitely found that some places have a better attitude than others. And I'd much rather give my business to someone with friendly, helpful service than those who ignore me or are rude.

That sucks.
ssad.gif
You think they'd be happy people want to shop. Do you get better service in stores or in counters?

aradhana

i've generally had pretty good service at mac counters, and don't think any of my even slightly bad experiences have been to the extent of some of the scenarios posted in this thread!

i often tend to go shopping for makeup without much on my face, because i like being able to try stuff, but i've also never been one to get overly dolled up for shopping. i find i get A LOT more snobbery from mua's at the very high-end luxury counters than mac, by far. more often than not i just get ignored by the ladies at the other counters, presumably because i look like 'riff-raff' or something. the girls at my current local mac are usually run off their feet, but always courteous and helpful, so i can't really complain!

Folie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aradhana
i've generally had pretty good service at mac counters, and don't think any of my even slightly bad experiences have been to the extent of some of the scenarios posted in this thread!

i often tend to go shopping for makeup without much on my face, because i like being able to try stuff, but i've also never been one to get overly dolled up for shopping. i find i get A LOT more snobbery from mua's at the very high-end luxury counters than mac, by far. more often than not i just get ignored by the ladies at the other counters, presumably because i look like 'riff-raff' or something. the girls at my current local mac are usually run off their feet, but always courteous and helpful, so i can't really complain!

I noticed the opposite. I tend to get treated worse when I wear makeup and am shopping for makeup. However, I have been treated bad at clothing stores when not wearing make up. Once I was at a Dior counter and wearing Chanel make up. The SA was basically tried to tell me all of my make up was "wrong" for me. They were all "That eyeshadow is too dark for you" I was thinking yeah I'm really gonna buy make up from someone insulting me. I also think from the stores I live near, not saying all make up store/counters, if you don't do your make up to their liking/standards they feel you know sh*t about make up. I like my make up a bit on the dramatic side. I don't enjoy wearing very neutral subdued make up. Over here, that's the only way the SAs style you and do make up. Once I was at the Lancome counter next to the MAC counter. This was about a year ago. The lady asks if I want a make over. I ask how much. She said free. I said do I have to buy any products. She told me no. So, I agreed because at the time the only Lancome I had ever used was make up removers. My make up didn't come out the way I like it. Was it bad? No, but I wasn't happy with it. I didn't like the colors at all. When she was all, do you want anything? I was all no thanks. She got a tude. Maybe I wrong for not buying anything, but I didn't ask. She kind of presured me into a make over. So, she should have taken the hint and left me alone. I think in a nut shell, that's the problem with bad SA, not just make up. Either they're lazy/dislike you, could be even a racial thing, or they're too overzealous to sell you things they know you don't need or even want. I think a good SA is someone who is helpful, but not bossy. I think a good SA, not just make up, should know we all different styles and respect that. There's some style, clothes and make up, I don't wear but I understand it's pretty in its own right and appeals to someone.

spunky

when i went to my local mac counter to buy my art supplies haul [just over £100 worth] i was 'served' - and i use that term very loosely - by a SA who spent more time chatting to a colleague than paying attention to me, and as a result gave me a wrong item. i didn't realise this till i got home, so i had to go back and get it exchanged. i explained to a different SA what had happened, and told her that it was busy and probably just a misunderstanding. the whole time i was at the counter, the first SA was glowering at me. and to top it off, i think this woman is the manager at the counter. i could be wrong, but i'm sure she is.

the other SA's are excellent - very attentive, helpful and friendly - it's just this one who is awful! i've got half a mind to complain about her
angry.gif

rosegasm

my friend and i went to mac in times sq to get a concealer for her undereyes. a mua came up to us, very friendly and nice.

he first put the select coverup on her.. decided it wasnt the right color... then tried some primer, then the select again, then some face and body, then some other concealers/foundations. eventually it got so bad he had to cover her entire face with foundation to match the mess he made on her undereyes.

OneDollarBuddha

I have never had anything too nasty happen, but a few days ago I ran into a new sa while I was looking for lipstick that they happened to be sold out of. I asked if she would call to see if the other counter had it, or if the store at the other mall had one. She told me no, but I could always run around and check. ...nice.
Then again, I always find I am snubbed if I am in jeans and a t-shirt, unless they are the girls who usually wait on me. Guess I'm not pretty enough to be worth their time?

yazerella

Most MAC SA's that I've met have either been too busy chatting to other SA's to serve me, or think they're god's gift to the world because they work at MAC, and STILL don't serve me.

Saying that, all of the nasty SA's I've encountered have been in London. Maybe it's a London thing. Sigh.

Mabelle

ive gone to macs in london and ireland (galway i think) and i was SO unimpressed with the snotty service i got. i mean, i didnt look good considering i was backpacking, but none the less, i want a black eyeliner, so sell me one with a smile on your face!
actually, no offense to anyone from london, but igot shitty service all around. I went to a starbucks and someone walked off with my drink. When i told the baristashe said "So??" i had to actuallu respond "So i paid for my drink and someone else took it! Make me a new one!!" shesh.

Spikesmom

I've had several weird experiences in MAC store. I'll start with this one. I went in and asked for my favorite MA that I followed from Norstrom to MAC...

Me: Is Rachel here?

MA: um... who?

Me: Rachel.

MA: um... I don't know anyone by that name.

Me: She was here recently, I bought stuff from her about a month ago.

MA: um... um.... um.... I think you have the wrong name.

OMG I wanted to strangle her. This went back and forth for quite some time. Finally...

Me: Do you mind asking someone if they know her?

So she goes in the back and comes out with...

MU: She doesn't work here anymore.

So apparently this chick was new. Why didn't she just say that in the first place? Do I have to almost have a stroke because her CS skills are in the freakin toilet?
angry.gif

Rant over. Stay tuned for more fun exchanges I've had in the MAC store.

cazgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazerella
Saying that, all of the nasty SA's I've encountered have been in London. Maybe it's a London thing. Sigh.

The pro store in London is just the most horrific mac shop I have ever been to and really the people who work there are awful!

I love learning and one of the best things about some of the high end pro courses you can take is that they are run by real industry professionals.

One course the teacher had been the make up director at Versace or D&G for 6 years and had an amazing impressive career - and even he only had horrendous experiences at the Mac pro store and to be honest that REALLY upset me. Yeah ok have attitude with me I'm a nobody - but to do the same to my heroes and people who really every aspiring make up professional should look up to and respect - that's piss poor.

Thankfully I am near enough to Liverpool to go to the free standings store in Liverpool and they are the nicest SA's you could wish for. SOHO - joke staff! Their attitude is legendary...

spunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazgh
The pro store in London is just the most horrific mac shop I have ever been to and really the people who work there are awful!

I love learning and one of the best things about some of the high end pro courses you can take is that they are run by real industry professionals.

One course the teacher had been the make up director at Versace or D&G for 6 years and had an amazing impressive career - and even he only had horrendous experiences at the Mac pro store and to be honest that REALLY upset me. Yeah ok have attitude with me I'm a nobody - but to do the same to my heroes and people who really every aspiring make up professional should look up to and respect - that's piss poor.

Thankfully I am near enough to Liverpool to go to the free standings store in Liverpool and they are the nicest SA's you could wish for. SOHO - joke staff! Their attitude is legendary...

i've only been in there once, and the man who served me was lovely.
th_dunno.gif

but i have noticed that there are a LOT of MAC MA's who think they're above customers. that kind of attitude in ANY store really annoys me. most of the time i'm nice to shop workers because it can be such a crappy job [i work in primark... yeah] but when they're unhelpful and have such poor customer service skills i just want to kick them in the shin. there's no excuse for rude people!
nonono.gif