MAC Après Chic Collection Discussion (December 2012)

ALivingDoll

I need some advice from my fellow specktrites! lol

In trying to save some money for an upcoming trip my hubby and i are planning to Japan, i don't really want to invest in too much makeup for a while. Which would be a better buy....Apres Chic lippies (2 the most) or Strength? Don't think i'll be able to afford lippies from both collections. Any opinions? Thanks in advance!

sandrah

In trying to save some money for an upcoming trip my hubby and i are planning to Japan, i don't really want to invest in too much makeup for a while. Which would be a better buy....Apres Chic lippies (2 the most) or Strength? Don't think i'll be able to afford lippies from both collections. Any opinions? Thanks in advance!
It really depends on you. I really love bold lip colors, and I don't really care for softer, more natural tones so I'd definitely do Strength. I'd really base my purchase on what you will, ultimately, wear the most. What colors are you drawn to?

Naughtyp

Quote: Originally Posted by ALivingDoll

I would get the ones from strength first if there is any you are drawn to, but that is because i like a more bold lip than anything makeup wise. I am looking for more neutral shades for work and when i want to emphasize me eyes, so im hoping to get a couple from AC and all but 1 from strength. i was so upset i didnt get pink pigeon so i am def going to take advantage of the opportunity!

liba

I'm not sure of your skin tone, or how fashion forward you like to be in your makeup tastes, or if you already have Party Parrot/Pink Pigeon/Heroine. Assuming you have those last 3 already, I'd say:

Haute Altitude + Absolute Power : For a cute pink and a strong, fun red

Hot Chocolate + Firm Form: If you want the most advanced colors from each collection

Apres Chic + Haute Altitude OR Warm Companion: If you'd prefer a soft red and either a soft pink or soft apricot (depends on skin tone)

For me personally, if I could only have 2, I think I'd take Warm Companion and Absolute Power, but WC won't be for all skin tones.

singer82

Liba, I don't really go by nc or nw, I'm pale with yellow undertones. Nudes are tricky on me, a lot of them don't look right. Do you think warm companion would suit me? Thanks love! :)

ALivingDoll

It really depends on you. I really love bold lip colors, and I don't really care for softer, more natural tones so I'd definitely do Strength. I'd really base my purchase on what you will, ultimately, wear the most. What colors are you drawn to?
That's the problem i'm drawn to both neutral everyday lip colors as well as bold.

ALivingDoll

I'm not sure of your skin tone, or how fashion forward you like to be in your makeup tastes, or if you already have Party Parrot/Pink Pigeon/Heroine. Assuming you have those last 3 already, I'd say:

Haute Altitude + Absolute Power : For a cute pink and a strong, fun red

Hot Chocolate + Firm Form: If you want the most advanced colors from each collection

Apres Chic + Haute Altitude OR Warm Companion: If you'd prefer a soft red and either a soft pink or soft apricot (depends on skin tone)

For me personally, if I could only have 2, I think I'd take Warm Companion and Absolute Power, but WC won't be for all skin tones.
Thanks Liba! Funny that while trying to decide i was thinking the same thing...WC and AP. I'm NC44 and placed Warm Companion on hold the other day without even seeing it in person. Since you have had the chance to view the collection and swatch, do you think WC would suit warm/deeper skin tones?

ALivingDoll

I would get the ones from strength first if there is any you are drawn to, but that is because i like a mold bold lip than anything makeup wise. I am looking for more neutral shades for work and when i want to emphasize me eyes, so im hoping to get a couple from AC and all but 1 from strength. i was so upset i didnt get pink pigeon so i am def going to take advantage of the opportunity!
Pink Pigeon is a great choice! Thank you!

kasiaj85

^ They always look gorgeous. But I never use them, no matter how good they look or how much I like them, they always end up forgotten in a drawer. Except 1, I use as highlight the lighter shade of cam, cool, & collected, because the glue got loose and I had to put in my es palette, so it became handy and I really like it
oh, same here. They always look so good in the pan... There's one I like and used a few times and that is Smoked Ruby. Otherwise, I've learned to be indifferent to these. Though I must admit it is hard sometimes, since
mac_addict.gif
hahaha

liba

Thanks Liba! Funny that while trying to decide i was thinking the same thing...WC and AP. I'm NC44 and placed Warm Companion on hold the other day without even seeing it in person. Since you have had the chance to view the collection and swatch, do you think WC would suit warm/deeper skin tones?
If you like wearing pale lipsticks, I think you will love it - it doesn't have a white, pastel base, so it's not milky pale, which makes it much more wearable across lighter or darker skin tones, imo - but you have to like that look. Absolute Power miiiiiight be a little too bluish for you, and will certainly look really bright - I'm really picky with reds, though. I'd be a little careful with that one. You definitely should consider Hot Chocolate - that one will look amazing on deeper skin tones - like a taupe nude MLBB. It's not as light as Warm Companion….it's a really unusual color, unless you remember the 90's; then, it'll be super nostalgic!

ForeverJenn

I really want to see swatches of hot chocolate! i'm undecided about it but knowing me, i'll probably just get it to avoid skippers remorse... this is kinda how i expect it to look ... http://www.aolcdn.com/photogalleryassets/stylelist/718084/jennifer-anniston-3-666js090909.jpg

Mac-Guy

I just realized this collection is being released in stores on the 26th... Any other Canadians see a big problem with this? BOXING DAY!!! There's going to be hundreds of people already lined up at the crack of dawn at every mall across the country!!!.... I guess I'm counting on my refresh button to get the items I want
icon_eek.gif
It will be a crazy shopping day.

dolleyes

Could someone please post the link of the french blog on the Apres Chic lipstick? :) i can't find it. Thank you!

Debbs

I just saw the collection at 7am when Macys open. The 287 brush is $31, not $49. Frost at Midnight is nice but needs the most building up but much better than Hint of Sapphire. I changed my mind and added back the purple eyeliner. I have on hold Fireside, Winter Pursuit, Frost at Midnight, Night Trail, Snow Shadow? 287 brush. I was told not all the pressed piggies will being permanent . A few are definites but some will depend on how well they sell. I have the deep blue, Smoky and the purple one Amyethst on hold. The pink looks nice in the pan but on the hand it is just shiny. I couldn't see any pink. I love the black one but I have used my Dark Dare or the one from EC so since they are mostly perm I can wait if I plan on getting it

ChosenOne

Quote: Originally Posted by liba
Amber Glow is more of a nude to even out the skin tone, sort of like a Forever Marilyn for blush. It's not a sparkly or shimmery highlight, more of a "finishing" color for looks where you're not using a lot of cover-up products like foundation or heavy powder underneath. A little BB Cream or tinted moisturizer or just a bare face plus Amber Glow is how to think about it. It's quite a modern idea.

Meanwhile, Alpine Bronze is more versatile, because it's a great contour color that looks healthy, but not orange but is also light enough to use as a blush too. If you can only get one, I'd say Alpine Bronze, but the two together with AB in the contour and AG above to accentuate is a heck of a look….looked awesome on my NC15 skin without anything underneath.

Also, I think we're going to see more colors like these through the year, so if you can try first and aren't totally smitten with either, I think you could skip them and wait for something else, especially if you have a deeper skin tone or MBs break you out, etc.

Maybe it had something to do with the lighting in the room where I saw it, or maybe it's because I only did a hand swatch and didn't actually put it on my face, but I found Amber Glow to be surprisingly shimmery. I love mineralize blushes, and I have a couple from MAC, but nothing as shimmery as AG. I'm an NC25 and love to use MSFN on my whole face, but I just don't know if I would be comfortable wearing something like AG on my whole face. That's just me personally, of course. And that's just based on a hand swatch. I might feel differently if I tried it on for real.

You tried the lipsticks on, right? Since I only did the hand swatches, can you tell me what you feel the benefit of a mineralized lipstick is? How does it compare to other finishes? I feel like the lipsticks in this collection are colors that I'm either not interested in or that I have near dupes for. But I'm tempted to get one anyway just to try out the formula. Any advice? TIA!

MACina

liba....would you say that AG works for very pale NW complexion?

I initially planned on skipping the MBs (I do already have Gentle) but your comparison to FM makes me reconsider
at least AG.

Amber Glow is more of a nude to even out the skin tone, sort of like a Forever Marilyn for blush. It's not a sparkly or shimmery highlight, more of a "finishing" color for looks where you're not using a lot of cover-up products like foundation or heavy powder underneath. A little BB Cream or tinted moisturizer or just a bare face plus Amber Glow is how to think about it. It's quite a modern idea.

Meanwhile, Alpine Bronze is more versatile, because it's a great contour color that looks healthy, but not orange but is also light enough to use as a blush too. If you can only get one, I'd say Alpine Bronze, but the two together with AB in the contour and AG above to accentuate is a heck of a look….looked awesome on my NC15 skin without anything underneath.

Also, I think we're going to see more colors like these through the year, so if you can try first and aren't totally smitten with either, I think you could skip them and wait for something else, especially if you have a deeper skin tone or MBs break you out, etc.

annemariemakeup

So I'm a bit confused. I thought the PLW eye liners were permanent? T has them listed as LE??

Also - the Pressed Pigments - I thought they were permanent as well? Now I'm reading only some shades are permanent and some are LE? Can someone clear this up? Thanks!!

Does anyone else miss the days when MAC would release only 1-2 collections at a time? All this new stuff all at once is a bit overwhelming
icon_eek.gif