MAC Casual Colour discussion

Richelle83

I do wonder what this mystery smell is. I *might* get one or two, can't not try them! Just as long as they are not like the big bounce shadows, I should be good!

Audrey C

I do wonder what this mystery smell is. I *might* get one or two, can't not try them! Just as long as they are not like the big bounce shadows, I should be good!
Funny smells and putting it on my mouth are usually mutually exclusive propositions.

Nice idea, but I think I'll wait for fall powder blushes. I can only hope they'll be as nice as the TC and HS ones.

pemily

im going to attempt to limit myself...
but on the same note, these are a new product therefore i have nothing like them in my collex (cos they never existied lol) so i may need a few....

for ppl that have tried are they much smoother than the cremeblends?

MACadddict

Went in to see my Mac artist today and she set aside all the items I wanted from this collection and Beth ditto. At first I was hesitant about the cremeblends. I thought they would be much oily than they actually were. I ended up picking out all of them, even the purple color. They are so versatile and like pemily said I too have nothing like them in my collection. I suggest swatching them. Most counters and stores have them Out with the hey sailor collection :)

Genn

This and beth ditto are the collections I was hoping they wouldnt release early since they are so close to Hey Sailor. I'm trying to limit my budget for these collections and stick to it. I just made vib at sephora so i have a 10% code that I just have to use too! I feel like I have makeup ADD. lol

lilinah

I rushed down to my local MAC store today to check out Beth Ditto - my local MAC makeup enabler... err... artist had phoned me yesterday about it. Sadly that collection just didn't do much for me - well, ok, i did pre-sale the purple and the burgundy mascaras.

So i asked if Casual Color had come in - and it just had! So my friendly MAC MUA opened the box, unpacked it all, and set up the display in the back room.

O! M! G! These were SWEET! They were creamy but didn't feel greasy or oily to me (but i have dry-ish skin). On the cheeks the colors were quite flexible - i could put on a light coat and blend out for a hint of color or build it up for drama. They worked fine with my fingers and even better with a 130 brush - i don't own one and it's going on my wish list! - i do own a 188 which i love. I didn't test them on my lips, but i did give 'em a sniff test and i didn't smell anything unpleasant.

I tested:
-- Evening Stroll - Violet cream
-- Lazy Sunday - Baby pink
-- Relaxation - Warm pink
-- Keep It Loose - Warm peach
-- Have A Lovely Day! - Neutral nude

The other three were too dark for my preferred cheek look. I kept cleansing off my cheeks and reapplying foundation - and then Color creme - to get the full test. I didn't try them on my lips, but i'll be fine using them there.

I exerted a little self control and only pre-saled three: "Evening Stroll" (a foregone conclusion
eyelove.gif
), "Lazy Sunday" (that surprised me!), and "Have A Lovely Day!", but i really could have gotten more, they were >all< so lovely! It's 5 hours later and the colors still look fresh - Evening Stroll on one cheek and Relaxation on the other - they reflect the light a bit, but they don't feel greasy.

It would be SO NICE if this product became PERMANENT! These are really pure cheek love!

Oh, yeah, the nail lacquers were all really really pretty colors, but my nails are always peeling and cracking so i didn't test them.

lyseD

Thanks lilinah I was hoping this might be a skip but they just sound too beautiful.
I rushed down to my local MAC store today to check out Beth Ditto - my local MAC makeup enabler... err... artist had phoned me yesterday about it. Sadly that collection just didn't do much for me - well, ok, i did pre-sale the purple and the burgundy mascaras.

So i asked if Casual Color had come in - and it just had! So my friendly MAC MUA opened the box, unpacked it all, and set up the display in the back room.

O! M! G! These were SWEET! They were creamy but didn't feel greasy or oily to me (but i have dry-ish skin). On the cheeks the colors were quite flexible - i could put on a light coat and blend out for a hint of color or build it up for drama. They worked fine with my fingers and even better with a 130 brush - i don't own one and it's going on my wish list! - i do own a 188 which i love. I didn't test them on my lips, but i did give 'em a sniff test and i didn't smell anything unpleasant.

I tested:

The other three were too dark for my preferred cheek look. I kept cleansing off my cheeks and reapplying foundation - and then Color creme - to get the full test. I didn't try them on my lips, but i'll be fine using them there.

I exerted a little self control and only pre-saled three: "Evening Stroll" (a foregone conclusion
eyelove.gif
), "Lazy Sunday" (that surprised me!), and "Have A Lovely Day!", but i really could have gotten more, they were >all< so lovely! It's 5 hours later and the colors still look fresh - Evening Stroll on one cheek and Relaxation on the other - they reflect the light a bit, but they don't feel greasy.

It would be SO NICE if this product became PERMANENT! These are really pure cheek love!

Oh, yeah, the nail lacquers were all really really pretty colors, but my nails are always peeling and cracking so i didn't test them.

lilinah

BTW, i never worn Cremeblend blushes or blushes from Big Bounce, so i can't compare these Colour Cremes to them. Well, i did test a Cremeblend briefly in the shop once, but it was kinda stiff - perhaps the tester had been open too long.

martiangurll

I tested:

eyelove.gif

Well, 5 hours of wear sounds really decent for a cream cheek product. My intention to skip is wavering--considering Evening stroll versus Have a Lovely Day (versus both).

What brushes could one use to apply these cheek products???

liba

O! M! G! These were SWEET!
I checked out both collections today too and YES, I totally agree!

I DID actually try a bunch of them on my lips. Wow! They're so incredibly pigmented. You just need a tiny amount - like the size of a sesame seed or a lentil, I'm not kidding - and you get full coverage on both lips. These are not sheer at all, not even the lightest colors. The texture and how it works on the lips are actually very much like the Kissable Lip Colours. It's creamy like a thin gel, but it turns into a slightly creamier version of the KLC texture as soon as you spread it on your lips. It's so spreadable and non-streaky, I actually applied them all with the plastic spatulas I picked the product up with - even some crappy thing like a spatula is fine for getting it spread smoothly and evenly, no blotting, smooshing or patting into the skin is necessary.

Once it's applied, it works just like my beloved Kissables - it forms a second skin over your lip texture that is totally smooth and forgiving of all chapped bits and lip lines. It looks a teeny touch thicker and moister than the way the KLCs do once they dry down, but that's a good thing! You can get the same more satin finish of the KLCs by merely patting the product a smidge into the lips. You can drink a glass of water and have very minimal transfer too, just like the KLCs. I remember HerGreyness talking about how the Kissables formula was still in transition into something better and I wonder if this is it. It's certainly in the same family.

As for the cheeks, again these colors are pigmented and even the very lightest color showed up well in ways very light powder blushes don't on my skin. They melt into the skin with more moistness than the Cremeblend blushes, which are stiffer and harder to spread, but all the moisture sinks right into the skin and you are left with a wonderful satin finish that isn't glossy or noticeably dewy. If you think the Cremeblend finish is too heavy for your taste or too hard to control when applying, you will be much happier with these. I asked what brush MAC was recommending for them and I guess they're being told to encourage just rubbing it in with your fingers. Fingers worked just fine for me, again because they are so nice and spreadable - like high end moisturizer where a pea size covers your whole face. If you've ever felt frustrated doing contouring with a brush, you will finally be able to get the exact look you want with these with just your fingers easily. Also, they are very buildable, so if you want more, you can have more without a hassle, and the dry down time on the cheeks is instantaneous, again reminding me of very high end moisturizer. They aren't sheer at all though, even when applying just a tiny amount, just very natural looking and merging beautifully with your skin. If you have oily skin, don't worry - these won't cause you any problems at all. In fact, I think that they will help minimize pores a bit, for the same reason it smooths out the lips so well - that sort of second skin effect.

The colors are all beautiful, but you probably won't need to get them all - for example, there are 2 light pinks, one a little cooler & whiter and one a little less bright & more neutral - they're close enough that you can get the one that looks better on you, because they're very similar, just slightly different cast. Same thing for 2 nudes and 2 corals (although the corals you may want to consider both of, since those two are different enough to stand on their own - one is exactly like Exxxhibitionist, which is my #1 most used Kissable and an incredibly handy and cute color). The reddish wine and rose colors are totally gorgeous, like I thought they'd be. Also, Evening Stroll - YES. This is definitely the second coming of Go For It - it's BLUE based by far, but a shade lighter than Go For It - it's still mid-tone, not pastel though, which is awesome. On the cheeks, this takes on a beautiful plum color, not unlike a softer, cooler Vintage Grape.

Considering the minute amount you need when applying these on lips or cheeks, the size of the jar is very generous. You could easily get months of daily use out of these, especially if you take the product out with a spatula. The formula in the pot is quite stable looking - not waxy or oily - so I think it ought not to get all weird, crusty, dry or separated if you take care and just lightly smooth a little product out, rather than digging around inside. I don't much care for pots, but in this case, a tube with an applicator would be pretty wasteful in comparison to a tiny scrape off the top with a spatula. If you buy one, just ask for a handful of those plastic disposable spatulas and clean them off with a little rubbing alcohol or soap and water. All in all, a good value for the price.

I'm getting Evening Stroll (perhaps 2, although I'm trying to cut down on BUs), Have a Lovely Day! - which was the perfect pale contouring color that Strada wasn't for me at all and also looks great on the lips (Keep It Loose is very similar but peachier and not quite as nice for me on the lips, but very nice on the cheeks), Relaxation - which will be more useful overall than Lazy Sunday (although Lazy Sunday really looked great on my lips, unlike 99% of cool, pale baby pinks out there), Weekend Getaway (gorgeous), Keep It Casual (gorgeous), and probably Out For Fun, which is the Exxxhibitionist looking one. You WILL find a MLBB color in this collection, no matter your skin tone although I felt the collection could have stood to have one or two deeper colors for the darkest complexions. Still, I do think the texture is nice enough and the pigmentation is high enough that most of the colors will be acceptable all the way up to fantastic on the cheeks for even dark skin.

Color me impressed! Very high quality new product and I am not sorry I've passed on Crew and the HS blushes in favor of these.
party.gif

As for Beth Ditto.....the less said, the better
cry.gif

liba

^^^^^^^ you had me at "they are like kissables." I just converted from I might skip to OMGWTFBBQ, Team ALL of them.
You probably don't need ALL of them, because some are VERY similar to each other and meant more for getting the perfect MLBB shade going on and/or the perfect color on the cheeks naturally. Believe me, I thought maybe I'd have to get them all, but it honestly felt redundant. That doesn't mean I'm not gonna be Team Five or Six, though!
mac_atemywallet.gif

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
liba, I know I was gonna be enabled by what you wrote before I even read the whole post, LOL. Argh, I really want to skip the whole thing, because I need to do a big skin and hair care haul next month, but now I'm back to wanting at least Have a lovely day!. I have no self-restraint whatsoever... I'll wait for lip swatches to make a final decision.
Also, I'll probably need a new brush if I want to use it on the cheeks, but there's no way I can afford a new face brush any time soon.

Which brush would be the best to apply them on the cheeks?

liba

I know I was gonna be enabled by what you wrote before I even read the whole post, LOL. Argh, I really want to skip the whole thing, because I need to do a big skin and hair care haul next month, but now I'm back to wanting at least Have a lovely day!. I have no self-restraint whatsoever... I'll wait for lip swatches to make a final decision.
I'll probably need a new brush if I want to use it on the cheeks, but there's no way I can afford a new face brush any time soon.

I'd say 130, but honestly, this is one of those new-fangled formulas where for once, it is honestly true that fingers will be better than most brushes, due to the way the product spreads and melts into the skin at the touch of your body heat. One tiny scrape with a spatula was enough to apply a full coat on my lips and dot the remainder on my cheeks and get perfect, natural coverage with a quick rub of the fingertips. If you use a brush to apply moisturizer, I would say you could probably use that same brush here, but trust me, this product doesn't behave like other MAC cream blushes at all - it really handles more like a moisturizer.

Another thing about using a brush - a brush will probably pick up WAAAY too much product out of the jar. Use a spatula for that, dot on cheeks, then spread. I didn't find it looked streaky on my lips even when I put a little too much on, but if you put too much in one go on your cheeks, perhaps it could get streaky? I don't know this for sure, because just a little dab was all I needed out of all of them.

rockin

liba, I know I was gonna be enabled by what you wrote before I even read the whole post, LOL. Argh, I really want to skip the whole thing, because I need to do a big skin and hair care haul next month, but now I'm back to wanting at least Have a lovely day!. I have no self-restraint whatsoever... I'll wait for lip swatches to make a final decision.
Also, I'll probably need a new brush if I want to use it on the cheeks, but there's no way I can afford a new face brush any time soon.

I believe the 187 is being repromoted with this collection. However, I don't know whether it's for the cheek/lip pots or the MSFN, or both

Piarpreet

I found swatches of the Beth Ditto and Casual Colour collections on this website.

http://www.hellocotton.com/to/bEo6#http://icefrostdiary.com/upcoming-previews-with-swatches-mac-casual-color-collection/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=upcoming-previews-with-swatches-mac-casual-color-collection

You have to click on the link where it says "For swatches, please refer to: Yuki’s Lazy Channel (HERE)"
weve seen these before.... again again no swirl!!!!

liba

I believe the 187 is being repromoted with this collection. However, I don't know whether it's for the cheek/lip pots or the MSFN, or both
It's for the MSFN, although you could probably dab a dot in the middle of each cheek, then swirl with the 187 once or twice on each cheek and get a naturally all-over flushed look instantly - that's how well they spread.