MAC Early Buzz - News for Upcoming Collections in 2016

Mac-Guy

My thoughts exactly. I used to buy a lot of Mac, like, 2 years ago, and I really liked the excitement in the Scoop. I still check the threads for new info on upcoming products, but I'm not as overwhelmed as back then. At the moment, I do still post in the Low-Buy thread (truly wish there were more posts there), and I think a lot of users have become over-saturated with all the new releases, which often seem to me like the same old products and colors in new packaging/with new names. Don't get me wrong, I still love Mac and most of my stash consists of Mac products, but my approach towards makeup/hauling has changed so that I don't get super excited when new collections are released. I don't have easy access to a lot of fun brands like Too Faced, Bite, KvD, Nars, most Anastasia stuff, since they aren't officially sold in Germany, and Mac has been my main makeup source.
But, of course, it's sad that there are less people around here.

I've never seen Specktra so quiet. It is really sad.

What happened to the mods. Do we still have moderators?

Miss Dynamite

Same. The excitement is just not there anymore and I don't quite know how a forum conversion could've done this?

Idk what happened. Nothing has changed really except there is no picture preview on the side and no like button. Not sure if any mods have been around, but there's a lot of threads where the collections came out months ago and the threads still haven't been moved.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Sadly, the forum is dead. It is really sad. I stopped leaking infos a long time ago for a variety of reasons. However, I hope that Specktra will come alive again.

Agreed. :mecry:MAC needs to save Specktra. I truly think the forum conversion has resulted in less traffic, swatches, enabling and interest.

My thoughts exactly. I used to buy a lot of Mac, like, 2 years ago, and I really liked the excitement in the Scoop. I still check the threads for new info on upcoming products, but I'm not as overwhelmed as back then. At the moment, I do still post in the Low-Buy thread (truly wish there were more posts there), and I think a lot of users have become over-saturated with all the new releases, which often seem to me like the same old products and colors in new packaging/with new names. Don't get me wrong, I still love Mac and most of my stash consists of Mac products, but my approach towards makeup/hauling has changed so that I don't get super excited when new collections are released. I don't have easy access to a lot of fun brands like Too Faced, Bite, KvD, Nars, most Anastasia stuff, since they aren't officially sold in Germany, and Mac has been my main makeup source.

I've never seen Specktra so quiet. It is really sad.

What happened to the mods. Do we still have moderators?

I was recently promoted to Veteran Moderator, and I'm on here every day, even if I don't always make a post. Dolly seems to be more prolific on our Instagram these days, though she still posts here on occasion. Jennifae doesn't come on very often, though I think she also posts to Specktra's Instagram sometimes? Nay is still a mod but is super busy so can't be here as often. PeachTwist hasn't been around in ages, as she's been battling a chronic illness for the last while. Other mods (e.g., guildedangel) seem to have disappeared, too.

I think it's a combination of things. Message boards/forums and email lists (remember those? ;)) have been on life support for YEARS; it's not just Specktra. The internet has changed a lot since the mid-2000s when Specktra opened; people have migrated to Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter to get their product launch information and swatches, and to interact with other beauty junkies. More brands are also embracing Snapchat as a way to promote themselves/products. And, of course, there's the proliferation of beauty blogs and Youtube channels. Plus, various Youtubers also have Snapchat and use that to show unboxings of PR samples and swatches.

The transition of Specktra itself from its old software/host to vBulletin hasn't helped matters. We've had to adjust to different forum software, and there have been the various kinks in the iron (as it were) in the process, so it's kept various people away.

And, of course, there's the usual ebb and flow of life and stuff -- changing interests, real-life stuff getting in the way.

Anneri

Buffy, Anastasia is now sold at Douglas online!

B

Buffy89

Buffy, Anastasia is now sold at Douglas online!

I know, but I appreciate that you are telling me. Unfortunately, they don't have "the fun stuff" for lips and eyes, just the brow products and the contour stuff. I hope they'll get the whole collection one day. I really like the new eye palette (New Romance or whatever the name is).

leonah

I know, but I appreciate that you are telling me. Unfortunately, they don't have "the fun stuff" for lips and eyes, just the brow products and the contour stuff. I hope they'll get the whole collection one day. I really like the new eye palette (New Romance or whatever the name is).

they might get the whole collection later? we (in Sweden) will get the whole collection around august/september with the liquid lippies, single shadows, lipglosses etc (although we already have the contour, brow stuff, glow kits and eyeshadow palettes.

stirfryedshana

The Little MAC collection is up on the MAC site. I hope there's some swatches of the new lipglasses soon.

Do you think they'll release some of those repromo'd lipglasses in full size? I have all the ones from Playland but I think they went bad by now and I've wanted Clear Water since it came out with AA!

Miss Dynamite

Do you think they'll release some of those repromo'd lipglasses in full size? I have all the ones from Playland but I think they went bad by now and I've wanted Clear Water since it came out with AA!

Who knows. I wish they were all full sized though, especially the purple ones.

Miss Dynamite

Swatches of the Little MAC lipglasses in Temptalia's gallery, They have some really cute colors!

And in case anybody missed out on them, I did a comparison Raring To Go is pretty close to Red Blazer from The Simpsons, Love You Big Time is pretty close to Itchy & Scratchy & Sexy.

Last edited:
B

Buffy89

they might get the whole collection later? we (in Sweden) will get the whole collection around august/september with the liquid lippies, single shadows, lipglosses etc (although we already have the contour, brow stuff, glow kits and eyeshadow palettes.

Really? Oh I hope it'll be the same in Germany. The eyeshadows seem to be great, and I always admire the swatches of their warm toned colors.

lyseD

Swatches of the Little MAC lipglasses in Temptalia's gallery, They have some really cute colors!

And in case anybody missed out on them, I did a comparison Raring To Go is pretty close to Red Blazer from The Simpsons, Love You Big Time is pretty close to Itchy & Scratchy & Sexy.

Thanks, I've been waiting on swatches.

alexisweaver

I was recently promoted to Veteran Moderator, and I'm on here every day, even if I don't always make a post. Dolly seems to be more prolific on our Instagram these days, though she still posts here on occasion. Jennifae doesn't come on very often, though I think she also posts to Specktra's Instagram sometimes? Nay is still a mod but is super busy so can't be here as often. PeachTwist hasn't been around in ages, as she's been battling a chronic illness for the last while. Other mods (e.g., guildedangel) seem to have disappeared, too.

I think it's a combination of things. Message boards/forums and email lists (remember those? ;)) have been on life support for YEARS; it's not just Specktra. The internet has changed a lot since the mid-2000s when Specktra opened; people have migrated to Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter to get their product launch information and swatches, and to interact with other beauty junkies. More brands are also embracing Snapchat as a way to promote themselves/products. And, of course, there's the proliferation of beauty blogs and Youtube channels. Plus, various Youtubers also have Snapchat and use that to show unboxings of PR samples and swatches.

The transition of Specktra itself from its old software/host to vBulletin hasn't helped matters. We've had to adjust to different forum software, and there have been the various kinks in the iron (as it were) in the process, so it's kept various people away.

And, of course, there's the usual ebb and flow of life and stuff -- changing interests, real-life stuff getting in the way.

Congrats on getting promoted!

I think the forum software switch was a huge change for people. For some reason, everything loads ridiculously slow for me, and it gets frustrating because I've exhausted every option (different computers, locations, et cetera). Besides that, my personal reason for not being here is just being busy with college. It's been kicking my butt, but making Dean's list all year made it worth it!

I miss the old Specktra with the late-night stalk parties....and soup!!!! Haha. I think it will become lively again, eventually.

leonah

Really? Oh I hope it'll be the same in Germany. The eyeshadows seem to be great, and I always admire the swatches of their warm toned colors.

yes I heard good stuff about them. and if little Sweden can get her whole makeup line so hopefully you guys will get it too!

leonah

Congrats on getting promoted!

I think the forum software switch was a huge change for people. For some reason, everything loads ridiculously slow for me, and it gets frustrating because I've exhausted every option (different computers, locations, et cetera). Besides that, my personal reason for not being here is just being busy with college. It's been kicking my butt, but making Dean's list all year made it worth it!

I miss the old Specktra with the late-night stalk parties....and soup!!!! Haha. I think it will become lively again, eventually.

congrats!! I know the university struggle and at the same time having a makeup addiction is not cool lol