MAC FAQ: PPID/MAC PRO Card

lilithbloody

Maybe a stupid question but..

I use to work on a local magazine as a photographer and graphic designer every summer. As I read at the membership application, photographers can also apply. Do you think I would qualify for a card?

TIA
smiles.gif

hello_kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilithbloody
Maybe a stupid question but..

I use to work on a local magazine as a photographer and graphic designer every summer. As I read at the membership application, photographers can also apply. Do you think I would qualify for a card?

TIA
smiles.gif

I got my card as a photographer... like you, I worked for a magazine. So here's what I did...

What I submitted was my personal business, my business card for the magazine, the masthead from one of the issues that lists me as a staff photographer (and credits me for cover shot with a model/car), and then for good measure I typed up a simple resume explaining the work I do with models. Since I do mostly automotive events and stuff, I decided I should explain that I do work with models in that particular industry and do a lot of studio shoots, since otherwise cars don't use makeup, haha.

Got my card in 3 weeks after I sent in my application
smiles.gif
I did call after 2 weeks, because I was getting antsy, and the guy on the phone looked up my information and told me that I did indeed get approved.

lilithbloody

My job at the magazine has nothing to do with models :S When an editor needs me for a report or an interview I go with them and take some photos, there are no models or studio, you'd say I'm like a photojournalist.

I would apply to MAC Pro Spain, and as I far as I know, the Pro program is very recent here. They ask me for two pieces of professional criteria, I think I could send them the editorial page of the magazine where they credited me (as a photographer and graphic designer) and since I don't have a business card as a photographer (I am mostly a graphic designer), I could make me a new one where I state I could also work as a photographer.

Maybe I'll apply because I have nothing to loose, but if there is no make-up involved in my work I guess I won't qualify
ssad.gif

hello_kitty

Yeah, I'm not sure how much they check into the publications and what not. I worked for a car magazine, so nothing to really do with makeup, and I got approved.

Worse that can happen is that they'll deny you, heh.

I have lurked on here for a while but out frustration here is my first post LOL.

I have been a freelance artist for 10 years now doing pageants, weddings any kind of events, recently my husband lost his job and out need and want, I applied for a MAC pro card. I mailed off my id, business card and contract on Dec 12, 2009 and today I received my denial letter. The letter states that I cannot use a contract as part of the credential part of the app.

I have spent thousands of dollars over the years at MAC and just needed the discount now to restock my kit for upcoming events. So what else can I use? I have letters of recommendation but they are from clients who don't have official letterheads. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time for any recs!!!

purplerinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmakeupjunkie
I have lurked on here for a while but out frustration here is my first post LOL.

I have been a freelance artist for 10 years now doing pageants, weddings any kind of events, recently my husband lost his job and out need and want, I applied for a MAC pro card. I mailed off my id, business card and contract on Dec 12, 2009 and today I received my denial letter. The letter states that I cannot use a contract as part of the credential part of the app.

I have spent thousands of dollars over the years at MAC and just needed the discount now to restock my kit for upcoming events. So what else can I use? I have letters of recommendation but they are from clients who don't have official letterheads. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was just reading the info online and it said contract on production company letterhead. So that may be the reason it got rejected.

sorry
ssad.gif

photogeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmakeupjunkie
---

1) I hope you keep posting now that you've de-lurked
winks.gif
and sorry about your DH's job, that's rough! Stick around though, you sound like you have some great experience to bring to the boards!

2) You could pretty easily make some sort of promo/comp card for yourself and submit that along with your business card, I think that would probably work.

I'm thinking you could make some sort of mailer (like a big postcard, or even a small fold-out brochure) that you would use for advertising or giving to prospective clients. That way, you'd be able to include some photos of your work, and some combination of: list of your specialties, qualifications (ex: 10 years experience!), you could even put a few short client quotes/recommendations on there from pleased customers (testimonials! that's the word I was looking for, lol), and of course your contact info/website (?).

That kind of card/mailer/ad would probably be a great thing for you to have on hand anyway
winks.gif

I have to get going (making myself late, whoops!) but I'll try to come back with suggestions of where you could find templates/examples of what I'm talking about to base yours off of if you were interested. It's a little work, but you could just get a couple printed at kinkos for right now (and then have the option to order a more bulk-print from an online printer later on if you wanted to actually use them for your business)-- it would only run you a couple of bucks to get a nice double-sided print on some heavy postcard-quality card stock.

*poof* instant resume-in-disguise
sneaky.gif
to submit to MAC

Now, I would hate to suggest this and then have it not work, so if anyone with more experience wants to chime in and say if they think this would work or not, please do so!

Hope this helps!
meg

PS- I'm crazy-busy shooting right now (photo major, last semester
th_DANCE.gif
) but if you wanted some help making this, I'd be more than happy to throw something together in photoshop or indesign for you if you sent me some of your photos and stuff. PM me if you want help! Whoops, really *am* late now, haha, I'll check back later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogeek
1) I hope you keep posting now that you've de-lurked
winks.gif
and sorry about your DH's job, that's rough! Stick around though, you sound like you have some great experience to bring to the boards!

2) You could pretty easily make some sort of promo/comp card for yourself and submit that along with your business card, I think that would probably work.

I'm thinking you could make some sort of mailer (like a big postcard, or even a small fold-out brochure) that you would use for advertising or giving to prospective clients. That way, you'd be able to include some photos of your work, and some combination of: list of your specialties, qualifications (ex: 10 years experience!), you could even put a few short client quotes/recommendations on there from pleased customers (testimonials! that's the word I was looking for, lol), and of course your contact info/website (?).

That kind of card/mailer/ad would probably be a great thing for you to have on hand anyway
winks.gif

I have to get going (making myself late, whoops!) but I'll try to come back with suggestions of where you could find templates/examples of what I'm talking about to base yours off of if you were interested. It's a little work, but you could just get a couple printed at kinkos for right now (and then have the option to order a more bulk-print from an online printer later on if you wanted to actually use them for your business)-- it would only run you a couple of bucks to get a nice double-sided print on some heavy postcard-quality card stock.

*poof* instant resume-in-disguise
sneaky.gif
to submit to MAC

Now, I would hate to suggest this and then have it not work, so if anyone with more experience wants to chime in and say if they think this would work or not, please do so!

Hope this helps!
meg

PS- I'm crazy-busy shooting right now (photo major, last semester
th_DANCE.gif
) but if you wanted some help making this, I'd be more than happy to throw something together in photoshop or indesign for you if you sent me some of your photos and stuff. PM me if you want help! Whoops, really *am* late now, haha, I'll check back later.

Thank You VERY Much for the ideas!!! This truely a great idea I wish I had thought of it LOL. I will work on the comp card this weekend and I mght take you up in your help!! This would also be wonderful for my future clients as well. Good Luck with school, I work and have reentered school myself so I know how busy it is! Thanks so much once again!!

KimP827

To my surprise, my card came today!!!
yahoo.gif
I sent in two letters on company letterhead (one from JIVE label group) and another from a managed care company I worked an event for. I also sent in my business card as well as a personal recommendation (they don't accept those though. I received a call saying so).

Good luck to those who has tried. I sent it in on Jan 15, 2010 if you were wondering.

Kim
Makeup by Kim Porter

KimP827

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogeek
congrats! that's great
greengrin.gif

mind if I ask if you sent it into the CA office or the NY office?

m

I faxed it in. 905-944-6400

melzie2121

I'm so excited! I got my card today! It took about two weeks after I sent it. I got the email before I saw a charge or the card but that was two days ago and my card was in the mail today
yahoo.gif
choochoo.gif
yahoo.gif

iadorepretty

so i faxed in my application today. i sent a copy of my ID, my business card, and two letters of reference. One from a private club that I've done tons of weddings for and the other from a local music label that i've done fashion shows, photo shoots and videos for.

hope i get approved!

iadorepretty

found out yesterday that i was APPROVED for the PRO card!!!
th_DANCE.gif

i was surprised at how quickly the process moved, i was expecting to be waiting at least 2 weeks for a decision. here's my timeline for anyone who's wondering how long it took:

• faxed in my application on the 3rd
  • got a phone call on the 5th asking me to resend my ID because it was to dark
  • called later in the afternoon on the 5th to make sure they had received my fax & was told i was approved
  • they told me i should be receiving my card next week...now i'm just waiting

abbyquack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2dbeauty07
I work as a cam girl I fall under the performer catagory but what 2 proofs could I use. My name isnt states on the website or advertisement material I use an alias.

You could try calling the Pro number and checking with them to see what your options are, in such extenuating circumstances. It's kind of hard if you don't have any proof, but is your photo on the advertisement material? Or on your site? Because then I'm thinking maybe you could send them your ID, plus the flyer or business card or whatever with your photo on it, they may accept it. But again, the best idea is probably to give them a shout.

Tat2dbeauty07

Thanks Abbey I freelance makeup but I don't od it often I see other people applied that way I think thats my best bet I do a few weddings a year and Im pretty busy during the prom season.

Tat2dbeauty07

Ok they wont take the letter of refferance they said they would take a flyer though which I have rack cards basically flyers that my friend use to keep in her business and pass out for me so Im going to send in business card. flyer and even though they wont exept it a copy of my bridal contracts on professional letter head along with my ID.