MAC for Marilyn

lenamonster

How fabulous! Is this the Mall of Millenia in Orlando? Thank you so much for the video, as soon as I heard that Love Goddess was especially made for Christina Hendericks I knew I definitely wanted it. Ironically enough my SA from Mac just called to confirm my pre order, I got Scarlett Ibis, Deeply Adored, Love Goddess and the BP. Deeply Adored is already sold out at their store..

ChosenOne

Thank you for all the pics of the event and the swatches, Richelle!!! I had really wanted to see DA compared to Rocker, and they do in fact seem to be VERY close. If you don't mind my asking, since things usually look slightly different in pics than IRL, could you give me your opinion on if you believe Rocker is a dupe for DA? Obviously Rocker has the glitter in it, but is that the only difference? If so, I might skip DA... TIA!

MissTT

Wow. We have the exact same coloring. We can wear any kind of red, if I may say so myself. Never met a red I was afraid to try, but it's all about the finish for me personally. If you like, I can give you the names of my Mac and non-Mac favorites when it comes to red lipsticks.
I've realized we're the same coloring so I do stalk you a bit.
sneaky.gif
You own a lot of makeup so you're my muse of sorts. Right now I have MUFE Rouge Artist Natural N45 (easily flattering since it's sheer), MAC Eden Rouge (it looked pretty good, but off due to the rest of my makeup I think), MAC Rocker (haven't opened, but looks promising), and I had something from Sephora I had to buy in a hurry as I was out of state and wanted something to match my red dress, but it seemed a bit wrong for me so I gave it to my daughter. Sometimes I have a hard time being able to tell if a red is cool, neutral, or warm so then the rest of my makeup doesn't match it and I think it's the lipstick that's all wrong. I get confused about blushes, too.
blush-anim-cl.gif
In the package Hidden Treasure looks cool to me, but I think it may be warm. If you want to post your faves or PM me that would be awesome.

Prettypackages

liba, how does one know which is the "right" red? I have several and I don't know if the problem is they're not right for me or if I'm just not used to seeing the color on my lips. I'm MAC C7/NC45 & MUFE HD 173. I'm medium brown with yellow-olive undertones. I don't know if I should wear warm/neutral/cool reds. All I see is bright and I can't get past that to make a proper evaluation.
It will make your face pop. I'm not an expert, but that's what happened to me when I tried runaway red. I had been looking for the perfect red for ages. I read that b/c I'm Af-Am, I need to do berries,plums (which is why I think I shied away from plum/purple lippies) and orange/reds. I HATED, I mean HATE orange reds on me, and tend to go for blue toned reds or pinkish reds. Yellow reds seems to do ok too. But it was trial and error for me. I'm sure the experts have better advice. ;-)

shontay07108

OK. I just realized that I'm going to order online for just one item. I can't do that! It's seriously painful. I buy in bulk. Buying one item for me is like a normal person going outside without their shoes. What am I going to do? :eek:hboy:

BunnyHeffner

I'm going to an event on Tuesday and seeing everyone's swatches is making me very excited! I phoned the store where the event is (my store wasn't hosting one...BOO!) a few weeks ago and asked if I could preorder and pick up my items at the event and the SA chewed me out!
icon_eek.gif
"No one is supposed to presale. That's totally against the rules" Did I break some unspoken MAC rule? My store has done it for me before and I see that lots of you do it as well. Hell, Nordstroms was doing it. I was sort of shocked. It was cray...I wish my store was hosting an event.
Now seeing that Deeply Adored was sold out before Richelle's event I'm even more confused. How could something be sold out...before a pre event...if stuff didn't get preordered?!!
huh2.gif

I'm still excited to go to the event and I have quite an extensive list but I'm worried that what I want will be gone before they even open the doors? Do I just need to chill out or should I phone the store back and hope I speak to a different SA?

My list (Not sure if I shared already)

Love Goddess (x2)
Charmed I'm Sure (maybe - I have a lot of colors very similar to this, so I'm waiting until I see it in person)
Forever Marilyn B/P (1 for sure, maybe 2 if I love it)
How to Marry e/s (x1)
Preferred Blonde e/s (x1)
Silver Screen e/s (maybe)
Showgirl e/s (x1)

I feel like I may be the only one on Specktra who is stoked for the eye shadows! (hopefully not pressed pigments) They aren't anything show stopping but I think they all will get used quite a bit. Both How to Marry and Preferred Blonde look they will be lovely highlights to me.

I was going to try to cut things out since my Glamour Daze list is crazy long...but no luck. I guess I'm having 2 big hauls!
mac_atemywallet.gif

Prettypackages

I posted earlier that I have two BPs from last year and had been using them as a highlight. I liked them but didn't think they were anything special.

After reading a few posts here I thought I would try using them all over my face -- UNBELIEVABLE -- my skin looked so gorgeous and glowy. My daughter commented as soon as I came out of my bedroom!
do they work the same on darker skin tones?

shontay07108

It will make your face pop.  I'm not an expert, but that's what happened to me when I tried runaway red.  I had been looking for the perfect red for ages.  I read that b/c I'm Af-Am, I need to do berries,plums (which is why I think I shied away from plum/purple lippies) and orange/reds.  I HATED, I mean HATE orange reds on me, and tend to go for blue toned reds or pinkish reds.  Yellow reds seems to do ok too.   But it was trial and error for me.  I'm sure the experts have better advice. ;-) 
I'm so tired of the experts and what they think is best for African-American skin. If they really think we need to stick to berries and plums, just take me out of my misery now. It's all about experimentation and seeing what you think looks best on you. I'm not a fan of saying THIS is best for this complexion or whatever. If I stuck to the rules people set out for my coloring I'd probably have only 10% of my current collection and I think I look damn good. Not a rant against you Prettypackages, but against these so-called experts. They're the reason why so many women are afraid of trying new things. It's makeup, not a face tattoo. Let's have fun.

Liz2012

I'm going to an event on Tuesday and seeing everyone's swatches is making me very excited! I phoned the store where the event is (my store wasn't hosting one...BOO!) a few weeks ago and asked if I could preorder and pick up my items at the event and the SA chewed me out!
icon_eek.gif
"No one is supposed to presale. That's totally against the rules" Did I break some unspoken MAC rule? My store has done it for me before and I see that lots of you do it as well. Hell, Nordstroms was doing it. I was sort of shocked. It was cray...I wish my store was hosting an event.
Now seeing that Deeply Adored was sold out before Richelle's event I'm even more confused. How could something be sold out...before a pre event...if stuff didn't get preordered?!!
huh2.gif

I'm still excited to go to the event and I have quite an extensive list but I'm worried that what I want will be gone before they even open the doors? Do I just need to chill out or should I phone the store back and hope I speak to a different SA?

My list (Not sure if I shared already)

Love Goddess (x2)
Charmed I'm Sure (maybe - I have a lot of colors very similar to this, so I'm waiting until I see it in person)
Forever Marilyn B/P (1 for sure, maybe 2 if I love it)
How to Marry e/s (x1)
Preferred Blonde e/s (x1)
Silver Screen e/s (maybe)
Showgirl e/s (x1)

I feel like I may be the only one on Specktra who is stoked for the eye shadows! (hopefully not pressed pigments) They aren't anything show stopping but I think they all will get used quite a bit. Both How to Marry and Preferred Blonde look they will be lovely highlights to me.

I was going to try to cut things out since my Glamour Daze list is crazy long...but no luck. I guess I'm having 2 big hauls!
mac_atemywallet.gif
I'm really confused by this as well .. I asked at the store where i usually go to for a presale, they said they couldn't do it. Then i called the pro store (i only go there once in a while, like 4 times a year) and they absolutely made no problem out of this at all. So i guess it just depends from store to store.

Mizani

Thanks to the swatches by Breakfastinrome and Richelle for pics of the red lipsticks. Deeply Adored is freaking gorgeous! I cannot wait to get it. In the swatches, especially Breakfastinrome's, DA reminds me of NARS' Pure Matte Lipstick in color Mascate. Having said that, I am HIGHLY disappointed with Charmed, I'm Sure. It looks so subdued and muted, nothing like the rich vividness of last year's Such Flare. Where is the va-va-voom? Oh well, more savings for me. Deeply Adored it is! And glad we are finding out the selling trends of these lipsticks and that Deeply Adored currently appears to be the 'it' lipstick. I better make sure I make it to Nordstroms early!

BunnyHeffner

Thanks to the swatches by Breakfastinrome and Richelle for pics of the red lipsticks. Deeply Adored is freaking gorgeous! I cannot wait to get it. In the swatches, especially Breakfastinrome's, DA reminds me of NARS' Pure Matte Lipstick in color Mascate. Having said that, I am HIGHLY disappointed with Charmed, I'm Sure. It looks so subdued and muted, nothing like the rich vividness of last year's Such Flare. Where is the va-va-voom? Oh well, more savings for me. Deeply Adored it is! And glad we are finding out the selling trends of these lipsticks and that Deeply Adored currently appears to be the 'it' lipstick. I better make sure I make it to Nordstroms early!
Makes me wonder if maybe I should pick up a couple at the event in case others miss out?

Prettypackages

Not a rant againt you Prettypackages, but against these so-called experts. They're the reason why so many women are afraid of trying new things. It's makeup, not a face tattoo. Let's have fun.
I totally agree. Which is why I don't listen to bloggers, or experts, or shied away from MUA from doing my makeup. Trial and error for me. I'll never be afraid to try something again, and I would've missed out on SOOO much had I listened to others.
I refused to wear berries/plums b/c I refuse to buy into the idea that's all we can wear. I even got tired of pinks. Oh and lets not get into how many of us were sold chestnut and oh baby. ~roll eyes~ I learned for me, lipstick not only depends on my color, and undertone, but my lip color as well. They are pink, so of course colors are going to pull differently.
Rant on!! I understand!!!

but in my post, I wasn't referring to those experts. Oh and don't forget to put together that red lipstick post. I follow your product purchases too. i think we are the same coloring, you might be a hair darker, and I think you have different undertones. Some stuff looks fab on you (tabla), looks like complete ish on me. LOL

shontay07108

I totally agree.  Which is why I don't listen to bloggers, or experts, or shied away from MUA from doing my makeup. Trial and error for me.  I'll never be afraid to try something again, and I would've missed out on SOOO much had I listened to others.  I refused to wear berries/plums b/c I refuse to buy into the idea that's all we can wear.  I even got tired of pinks.  Oh and lets not get into how many of us were sold chestnut and oh baby.  ~roll eyes~  I learned for me, lipstick not only depends on my color, and undertone, but my lip color as well.  They are pink, so of course colors are going to pull differently.   Rant on!!  I understand!!! but in my post, I wasn't referring to those experts.   Oh and don't forget to put together that red lipstick post.   I follow your product purchases too.  i think we are the same coloring, you might be a hair darker, and I think you have different undertones.  Some stuff looks fab on you (tabla), looks like complete ish on me. LOL 
I'll send you a pm of my faves. I will never, EVER forget being sold Oh Baby and Chestnut on my first ever trip to Mac when I decided I wanted to try makeup. I was so ready thinking they'd show me reds and pinks or things I've never even imagined and then they gave me that. True horror story and unfortunately, some of us never break out of the experience of having some salesperson hand us browns or plums to see that we can wear many other things.

Audrey C

I will never, EVER forget being sold Oh Baby and Chestnut on my first ever trip to Mac when I decided I wanted to try makeup. I was so ready thinking they'd show me reds and pinks or things I've never even imagined and then they gave me that. True horror story and unfortunately, some of us never break out of the experience of having some salesperson hand us browns or plums to see that we can wear many other things.
Maybe it's a 'grass is greener' thing, but I personally think darker skin tones can wear a much wider range of colours than I can. There are so many pics here of WOC wearing everything from CYY to warm reds and browns and looking gorgeous in every shot. I'm envious!

shontay07108

Maybe it's a 'grass is greener' thing, but I personally think darker skin tones can wear a much wider range of colours than I can. There are so many pics here of WOC wearing everything from CYY to warm reds and browns and looking gorgeous in every shot. I'm envious!
I've always felt that WOC were made to wear color. Oranges, reds, purples all across the board. I get super jealous when I see a pretty baby pic or pale nude that only the fair can really pull off or WOC that have pale lips. My lips are on the browner side so shades like that either look ashy or look like nothing at all. However, I can still find shades that suit me and give me a similar effect. So, yeah the 'grass is greener' thing comes into play there.

Richelle83

To answer everyone's questions and a little story about the event. Here we go!

I went to Orlando, about 1hr and change drive. The Pro store at the Mall of Millenia got the collection first from what I was told. In the store they had the display available for anyone to see and swatch like normal, which is what I had to do once I finished with my appt. VG1 was probably the closest to Deeply Adored in the current line of lipsticks, I don't have it to compare though. I was being helped by a runner and another SA very close to my complexion said oh no sorry Deeply is all sold out but let me go in the back and see if there is a stash. Apparently SA's were hoarding them lol. So that's how they were sold out before the event started today. I called on Tuesday or something to see if I could pre order, the SA told me to call on Friday(first day of the event) no problem, but I forgot. Well Ms. super sleuth said nope we weren't doing pre orders at all. Smh!

The event was held downstairs, they had the whole section blocked off, with sound and camera crew. Total stations was about 24, my lady did a great job. Most of them looked to be wearing SI for some reason-no matter the skintone. At 11am it wasn't really that crowded but once 12 hit, whole different story! I don't remember who the speaker is in the video but he is well known to the MAC world. I do wonder what the event will be like with Glamour Daze, should be cute.

I tried to take close up pics of the eye look, but I'm horrible at that! Oh and the shadows are very nice, way prettier than I thought they would be. Didn't swatch anything else.