"MAC foundations suck!"

Mizz.Yasmine

I LOOOOOVE MAC but I have to agree with the sucking as far as foundations go. They are too thick and clog my pores. However for a one time use they are nice becuz I think the coverage/shades are REALLY good. But I would never use any as an everyday product.
smiles.gif

Karen_B

I have only tried Hyper Real foundation and I really really like it. It is a bit thick in its consistency but I mix it with tinted mositurizer and it goes on perfectly. Gives me such a flawless, airbrushed look!

fingie

I am not a fan of MACs foundations...I have tried and tried to make it work, between SFF & Select SP 15 (in varying shades from NC/NW15-NC/NW20) and I just give up. They turn super orange and get splotchy on me, so the only time I can use them without many problems is if I've been mystic tanning lately and am kinda orange anyway lol
winks.gif
I've gone back to L'Oreal True Match foundation and have found it to be much better. (and cheaper!)

Ruby Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide.Candy
The main reason for this is that I find their lightest shades like NW15 and NC15 too yellow on me so I usually go to Lancome, or Laura Mercier for foundation.

I could see NC15 being too yellow, but NW is a warm undertone and is has a pink undertone, not a yellow one. Try NW.

Ruby Lou

Most people that come into my counter that say they hate our foundations have only every tried maybe one or two (and it's mainly Studio Fix they don't like). The reason MAC makes so many foundations is because ONE kind of foundation is never great for everyone. The same way I can't stand that the entire country is loving Bare Minerals when powder just isn't the best for all skin types.

If you'd like to try MAC foundations, but have had trouble with them in the past, go to a counter when it isn't as busy and explain this to your local MA. They will go through the foundations and which will probably work best on your skin and more than likely give you a few samples to find the right fit for you.

Another thing probably best to mention here is that anything MAC makes with the words 'STUDIO' before it was made for film, photography, and stage. Those formulations will be heavier. If you'd like to try something lighter, avoid those products.

nursie

i've heard the 'mac foundations suck' quite a bit too, and i avoided them for the longest time until i finally tried a pressed stuido fix that i got from a cco.....i have problematic skin (ummm, you name it: sun damage, now occasional pimples but when i was younger acne, fine lines, dry areas, oily areas, red blotchy areas)....my skin is just fine with using the studio fix and it really work well to cover all the crap on my craptastic face that needs to be covered! i like stuido fix fluid too. i did try the stuido stick and studio tech and those just werent for me.....i really think foundation isnt something you can go by other people's recommendations too much because each person's skin is unique

noahlowryfan

not all MAC foundation sucks. you just have to find the right one for you. also everyone's skin is different so whatever might work for someone might not work for you. you just have to try every foundation there is until you find the perfect one.

i really like Studio Fix Fluid but I'm going to try the other foundations MAC has and the other brands there is.

adela88

nah shes right
NW- is also very yellow.i use bobbi brown in alabaster and this white chanel primer which lightens it

i know the studio fix liquid is popular, but it is VERY matte and that doesn't look good on me. i like the satinfinish okay, but its not my HG.

heart

i've been using mac foundations for years and i have to say that it's just not for me. not only do the mua's keep giving me different shades (i've given up on letting them pick out my shade...), but even the oil-free stuff makes me look nasty. i've used just about every foundation they offer, including the mineralized one... (except the face & body) and i recently started trying different brands. i actually like mufe hd's and chanel's foundation way more! my next test is going to be on nars'. i don't have a problem so far.

Rania88

I'm currently living overseas in Qatar and it's very hard to find foundation color for women of color. The make up forever in the sephora here doesn't even carry anything higher than 173 in mufe hd. Mac is one of the few shops that carrying darker colors. Before coming to Qatar I used revlon colorstay which I loved but since trying mac I found you have to find the foundation that is right for you. It's very important to sample a few Mac foundations before buying. I have found that pro longwear( I'm a nc50) foundation suits my skin best color and texture wise. People tend to lump all mac foundations into one which you cannot do because each Mac foundation has a different formula. And I agree with Ruby Lou about powder foundations not being for everyone. Powder foundations make me look awful. And especially since I have dry skin powder foundation just magnify my dry patches. Ive tried powder and cream foundations. And I still found liquid foundations to be the best for me.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I've never used any of MAC's foundations, but it seems to me that it's Studio Fix Fluid that gets the worst reputation of all their foundations. Meanwhile, Face and Body is the most raved, while the other foundations don't get a ton of attention for whatever reason.

sampantha7

I've never used any of MAC's foundations, but it seems to me that it's Studio Fix Fluid that gets the worst reputation of all their foundations. Meanwhile, Face and Body is the most raved, while the other foundations don't get a ton of attention for whatever reason.[/quote So so true; SFF isn't the greatest foundation out there!

NATlar

I actually don't mind Studio Fix Fluid, it did break me out once but i stopped using it and went to Estee Lauder than went back to the Studio Fix and it didn't break me out again but at the moment am loving Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua over it, it's gorgeous with Chanel illuminating base.

Babylard

Foundation is very personal. MAC has so many different foundations and I doubt that people have tried most of them before writing them off. I've tried many MUFE foundations and NARS. Many of them didn't suit my taste and so goes for MAC. After all the testing, I've found that I like MUFE Face and Body and MAC Pro Longwear. I've been through many bottles of the Pro Longwear concealer. It also depends on how you apply your foundation. Just because a formula is very thick and heavy doesn't mean it has to be that way on the skin.

thebunnykid

The same way I can't stand that the entire country is loving Bare Minerals when powder just isn't the best for all skin types.
That's because Bare Minerals formulation works great for majority of skin types. I still use it even though I have 4 types of MAC foundations. The only downfall of their foundation is if you're allergic to Bismuth.

Back to topic. I have the SF Fluid, Powder, Face and Body and Full Coverage Foundation. These products worked great on me even though I have very sensitive oily skin. I think people try one type of the MAC foundations and they based everything on that if it doesn't work and it's total nonsense.

I do agree that majority of the foundations tend to be yellowish... which really doesn't affect me since I'm naturally cool toned.

Jen25

I've used Studio Fix fluid for a few years and never had any issues. Picking the right foundation can be difficult, especially getting just the right color. I think the somewhat confusing MAC color system may be partially to blame.

martiangurll

I love Matchmaster foundation, although I sometimes have to add a little Strobe cream or mix with another foundation because it is just so matte. But what I like about MAC foundations is that they put adequate SPF in their products. I do wonder that they don't borrow a page from the mother company (Estee Lauder) who make great foundations and add their spin on them. Another thing I really love about the MAC foundations is that their system of describing the tone is consistent no matter what the product, so it is way easier to match the color across all their products. They are not the best foundations out there but I would not say that they suck.

Working for MAC, i come across this issue alot, hearing what people think of our foundations. In all honesty, our foundations I LOVE! It really is about investigating your foundation. What would you like out of your foundation, find one suitable for your skin, and most importantly, priming the skin and how you are applying the foundations really make a difference. In all honesty, you should contact the counter manager where they refused to give you a sample, because that refusal is not really ok. You can also talk to a MAC artist at your local retail location, ask questions, and even try on the foundation. Wear it and see how it works for you. MAC's credo is all ages, all races, all sexes. I truly believe in this. I personally have never had a problem finding a foundation to match someones skin or even find a product in general that someone doesnt like. I highly recommend you try the foundations, as I KNOW you will find something you like. If you have questions about specific formulations or products in general I am more than welcome to answer them. :)