MAC Grey Friday Collection Discussion (November 2012)

mac_aiken

Quick note before I head out the door. Tried this on this morning over Magenta liner. Not sure what I would call the resulting color but it is kind of pretty. Sets off some of that minute teal micro-shimmer in GF. So far I like it but I am not loving how it makes my teeth (which I am already self conscious about) look a bit dull. I will wear this for awhile and see if it grows on me. May try it with one of the Style Black lip glasses and see how that looks.

MACina

This is a great idea mac_aiken!!!

Please let us know how you like this combo
smiles.gif

Quick note before I head out the door. Tried this on this morning over Magenta liner. Not sure what I would call the resulting color but it is kind of pretty. Sets off some of that minute teal micro-shimmer in GF. So far I like it but I am not loving how it makes my teeth (which I am already self conscious about) look a bit dull. I will wear this for awhile and see if it grows on me. May try it with one of the Style Black lip glasses and see how that looks.

CartoonChic

It's here! I kinda like Grey Friday alone, but I'm not sure I'll wear it that way. It looks more like a dark grey-plum color on my lips. I like how it's sheer so the color can be buildable. It seems to add a dark grey tint when layered with other lipsticks.

I tried it with the NYX Black Berry lip pencil and the color really came out! It's like an opaque, frosty gunmetal grey. It looks like liquid graphite. I outlined my lips and filled them in with the pencil. With MAC Stone lip pencil, the color is more like a silver grey or a shark grey.

OctoberViolet

eyelove.gif
Sounds heavenly. I'm hoping my lippie and BB powder will be at my door when I get home tonight. Believe it or not. My Lime Crime still hasn't been delivered. I requested a redelivery from my PO and they aren't doing what they are suppose to. I would LOVE if my Grey Friday, Lime Crime lippies and BB powder are all waiting for me tonight. Will keep everyone posted.

It's here! I kinda like Grey Friday alone, but I'm not sure I'll wear it that way. It looks more like a dark grey-plum color on my lips. I like how it's sheer so the color can be buildable. It seems to add a dark grey tint when layered with other lipsticks.

I tried it with the NYX Black Berry lip pencil and the color really came out! It's like an opaque, frosty gunmetal grey. It looks like liquid graphite. I outlined my lips and filled them in with the pencil. With MAC Stone lip pencil, the color is more like a silver grey or a shark grey.

Teggy

Eeehhhh....my lippie should arrive tonight, but I won't be home until late to try it. I'm a little concerned at the sheerness, but then again, that could be very pretty. I used to layer the Style Black gloss over pink lipstick for a muted look and it was quite pretty. Plus I can probably build it up to show more color. We'll see.

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by CartoonChic
MAC has a grey lip pencil called Stone if you can find it.

Sadly this has been discontinued - in the US at least - and checking evilBay it's going for around $40, so it's not on my shopping list. I'll see if my local MAC has any... sometimes a discontinued product lingers on in stock.

And it has been said that NYX 1000 Years is very close to MAC Stone. I haven't seen it, but it's probably worth checking out.

CartoonChic

Sadly this has been discontinued - in the US at least - and checking evilBay it's going for around $40, so it's not on my shopping list. I'll see if my local MAC has any... sometimes a discontinued product lingers on in stock.

And it has been said that NYX 1000 Years is very close to MAC Stone. I haven't seen it, but it's probably worth checking out.
I picked mine up at a MAC freestanding store recently, so you may have luck there. I was planning to order NYX 1000 Years and some other NYX pencil colors from Ulta during their sale, but they don't have it. I'm going to make a trip out to a beauty supply store where they sell the pencils at a decent price. I hope they have the colors I want.

liba

Got my set today.

Grey Friday is MUCH more opaque than EL Gunmetal. If you are looking for just a sheer veil, Gunmetal will be a much better bet, if you can get used to that EL fig scent (I kind of hate it, it's so strong). Gunmetal is also a lot more glossy than Grey Friday, which is about the same glossiness as a Satin - it's definitely a frost, but not very obviously metallic.

My red lips definitely come through with Grey Friday, but not so much that a second coat pretty much deals with it. I think just outlining the lips lightly in a nude pencil would be plenty to keep it reading grey, since the color mostly peeks through around the edges of the lips where there's volume. For my skin color (NC15), I'd say it will look best with a very even foundation application. This isn't one you can do the raw look with, at least if you don't have a very cool toned complexion. For comparison, I wear Black Knight without foundation sometimes, but this one, I'm going to say no. I think it'll be a great look with some strong black, grey or navy blue eye looks.

I haven't sampled the polish yet, but it's definitely that new sand/suede texture - it looks great in the bottle. I'll be doing a manicure with it as soon as my current one starts going to hell. China Glaze is going to be doing a whole collection in this texture, but only with spring/summer colors, so Grey Friday is definitely more sophisticated.

martiangurll

Can anybody compare Grey Friday to UD Oil Slick? I am trying to squash a lemming but the teal microshimmers report has me wanting to hunt...

OctoberViolet

I received my Grey Friday lippie and BB powder this evening. Grey Friday looks amazing when swatched. I haven't tried it on my lips because they are dry. I am hoping to wear my GF tomorrow at my work holiday party.
th_partytime.gif