MAC Interviews & Hiring Process

pleasantmacabre

Hi all..im in the same boat... its been ovee a week and I haven't heard back from the recruite to see if I even made it to thr demo interview. .. Pleasantmacabre: Keep in mind the recruiter who interviewed us said they can teach anyone how to do makeup..its about passion and commitment to MAC maybe u will get hired its just they r super slow to get back to everyone
Nah I called and asked for feedback and they said they don't give feedback for interviews unless you already work for mac.. Also was told they already hired .. Only had a few spots and had to be diligent about choosing.. There were probably 10 people that did the demo (2 groups) She said they keep resume on file and i can apply at other stores as well. But honestly I'm kinda discouraged now... I spent hours reading here so it kinda sucks :(

Cali1luv

Hey everyone! I went to Mac interview on Monday, and just like everyone I had to go through a 3 steps process, formal interview, verbal interview and a makeup demo. I got a called back the next day offering me a on call position at nordstrom Mac and a freelance at Mac. I haven't met up with anyone yet, I was told they didn't have any part time of full time. And that on call was what they had, I accepted it because it was my way in. In curious about how that works I know we get called in for events and stuff, but I work for tmobile and tmobile is known for the weird and not so stable shifts
Hi.. when I was interviewed by the recruiter she said freelance is like on-call.. they will call you when someone calls in sick or they are having events... and she mentioned that you can call the counters and say that you are available and the more you call and work the more they will probably request you... they won't invest in training because its just freelance work, they expect the freelancers to have a "set skill level" when it comes to make-up application

Cali1luv

She said they keep resume on file and i can apply at other stores as well. But honestly I'm kinda discouraged now... I spent hours reading here so it kinda sucks
ssad.gif
damn.. my bad I just realized I had hella typos... i was using my cell phone lol...

Anyways... at least you went that far and who knows you still might get called... I've seen youtube videos where girls have waited 9 plus months or minimum 3.. if I were you I would practice your make up even more to build confidence (not saying ur lacking it) that way you are prepared and have improved... that's what I'm gonna do... I haven't even been called back for a demo interview... I had sent her a handwritten note to the recruiter in Emeryville.. I have no idea if she even got it or got delivered to her... it sucks but hell I gotta keep trying...

Here is an idea I'm throwing out here... I'm gonna "hire" a MAC artist to help me get better on certain things I need to improve on and teach me (I kinda know but I forget) about sanitation.. IF I get called back I will be ready and my skills are gonna be waay better... :) pay her for 2 hours .. around what 50 bucks per hour = $100? EVEN if I don't get called back I don't lose anything.. I have gotten great tips and feedback from a "legit" person

vanessas82

So I noticed one of the other girls from my interview had a facebook status today saying she got hired ... No call yet ;( I sent an email but I'm pretty discouraged at this point and sad.. Because honestly I read so much up about it and I used all the sanitizing techniques that I saw other mac girls use plus what was mentioned here. And the one girl whom was hired .. Her makeup wasn't that nice at her interview.. And I just somehow doubt she knew to teach about all the products and continuously talk to her model Etc ontop of the sanitizing stuff. So I guess knowing everything doesn't always pay off. Boo .
Ah man I'm sorry. Just a question because they also if not for the most part look for somebody with retail experience. Do you have? They want a MUA that has some skills + retail exp cuz well I've read that they like to mold you into the "MAC" way. I don't know...I can't believe that they couldn't give you info BUT if they said that they still have a few spots available ya never know girl. Keep you head up and your hopes high. I have my 3rd interview on Monday after 2 weeks of hearing nothing. It's not the end...

pleasantmacabre

Ah man I'm sorry. Just a question because they also if not for the most part look for somebody with retail experience. Do you have? They want a MUA that has some skills + retail exp cuz well I've read that they like to mold you into the "MAC" way. I don't know...I can't believe that they couldn't give you info BUT if they said that they still have a few spots available ya never know girl. Keep you head up and your hopes high. I have my 3rd interview on Monday after 2 weeks of hearing nothing. It's not the end...
I have some retail experience but not in cosmetics. The girl they hired I don't think had any, either . So .. Whatevvvv over it at this point I wasted soo much of my time and money going to those interviews and skipping out of my other job to do so, etc/ not sure what it was they wanted but I guess that's what happens when there's a group of 10 to choose from on hiring :/

Cali1luv

Hey all.. not that anyone has asked me or something lol ... i havent heard from the recruiter at all... i sent her an email to check in on Friday.. nothing yet... I did the group (5 girls total) interview on the 30th then I sent her a Thank You card in the mail... nada!! lets see if anything happens...

thenightlook

Specktra really helped me get hired for MAC.. My advice for those hoping to work for MAC: in the interview, be extremely confident, energetic and most importantly - yourself. Also, try to secure a makeup demo interview date at the first interview by asking "so what's the next step from here?" when they ask if you have any questions.. Don't be pushy but it worked for me

thenightlook

Also, whenever you go out whether it's going to the grocery store, library, mall, whatever - wear amazing make-up that shows off your skills and features. And have your resume on you - You never know when you will see a MAC recruiter or manager

thenightlook

At the demo, MAKE SURE you "show and teach" by handing your model the handheld mirror and talk to them how you would want to be spoken to regarding make-up application

thenightlook

I forgot to also add this: bring a model that can positively interact with you - that is really important. The exchange between the model and applicant has to seem effortless and fun, like a real conversation - not just "I'm putting the paint pot on your lids.. Now the eyeshadow... So how's your day going?.. Okay." And bring someone that can remind you if you forget to sanitize an eyeshadow or something bc you're so nervous!! ;]

thenightlook

& other thoughts: -be at the store like 15-20 min before the demo to get an idea of what testers are available for you to use today bc that definitely changes depending on the store esp regarding eyeshadow and blush -don't be rude, snobby, cold (you can't be shy!) towards the other applicants in a group interview even if you think the managers aren't watching you - the employees and managers are always watching you -investigate your client's needs & make a plan so you don't just grab 10 eyeshadows and bring them over to the station - separate products and brushes on tissues by eye, face, lips, etc

thenightlook

& wear something that shows your own personal style and makes you stand out - ex: if you love harem pants and headwraps, wear them! It seems that heels are expected for the first interview & flats/smaller heels for the demo

Cali1luv

Ladies..the recruiter called me but I missed her call. .I have called her several times n left her 2 v-m's... I don't want to annoy her either... any tips or suggestions? I just truly want to know if I'm moving on to the demo interview or not...

vanessas82

I just got told last night that I am officially a MAC girl! I am just waiting to see what position I will be getting. I'm really hoping I pass the freelance stage but either way I'm in and I'm for very happy and beyond grateful. I can't wait to start working for a wonderful company

chelsealeier

I got my offer letter via email yesterday (took exactly two weeks from the call saying I got the job) signed it and faxed it back within the hour. The email said I should also be expecting a new hire package via FedEx, I'm so excited! I keep checking for it like a crazy person, haha.

thenightlook

Ladies..the recruiter called me but I missed her call. .I have called her several times n left her 2 v-m's... I don't want to annoy her either... any tips or suggestions? I just truly want to know if I'm moving on to the demo interview or not...
What did she say in her voicemail or she didn't leave you one? I would ask the manager of where you're applying if that position is still available and let them know you're definitely still interested but you can't get ahold of the recruiter

Cali1luv

In all honesty the recruiter didn't mention any locations..she just asked us where we lived and if we were willing to commute... I left her 2 vm's, 1 email, several calls and nothing... I don't want her to forget about me
What did she say in her voicemail or she didn't leave you one? I would ask the manager of where you're applying if that position is still available and let them know you're definitely still interested but you can't get ahold of the recruiter

thenightlook

In all honesty the recruiter didn't mention any locations..she just asked us where we lived and if we were willing to commute... I left her 2 vm's, 1 email, several calls and nothing... I don't want her to forget about me
Hmmm.. I would still go around locally where you want to work and talk to the manager about what positions (if any) are available now... B/c if they were interested in you then they could get some feedback from the recruiter and tell you what she said about you? That's frustrating though =\ maybe they're just on vacation...

Cali1luv

It sucks... I'm going to email her on Monday and call her as well...if I'm not moving on to the demo interview just let me know and I can stop bugging the hell outta her..lol... u know what I mean?...
Hmmm.. I would still go around locally where you want to work and talk to the manager about what positions (if any) are available now... B/c if they were interested in you then they could get some feedback from the recruiter and tell you what she said about you? That's frustrating though =\ maybe they're just on vacation...

Latest posts