MAC shadows: put in palette or leave in pots?

mac-me-up

Which do you prefer/recommend and why? I am slowly building my MAC collection and am trying to decide if using the palettes is a good idea or if its better to leave them in their individual pots. What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks for your thoughts!

pahblov

If you live near a pro store, than getting pro pans for palettes is less expensive than getting eyeshadows in pots. And if you depot your shadows, you can use them for B2M. However, some places no longer accept the pot without a pan inside of it...

KittyLuv

The pro to depotting for me is space ways it is better for me since I have a pretty good size collection having 100 pots around is just not feasible. I have been able to take back all my depots but I hear some do not take them back anymore but I took back both blush and eyeshadow depots last week to get stuff from Moonbathe.HTH

chipmunkvoice

im planning to depot my shadows into a palette so i can B2M for some lippy. i think palettes are great space savers and its more convenient and easier to find shadows and other shadows to match it with. my plan is to have all the permanent shadows in the palettes and leave the LE shadows in pots... coz they come in pretty pots
winks.gif
haha but yeah... my collection is growing slowly so i'll see how i go.

mac-me-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunkvoice
im planning to depot my shadows into a palette so i can B2M for some lippy. i think palettes are great space savers and its more convenient and easier to find shadows and other shadows to match it with. my plan is to have all the permanent shadows in the palettes and leave the LE shadows in pots... coz they come in pretty pots
winks.gif
haha but yeah... my collection is growing slowly so i'll see how i go.

hmmmmm I like the idea of leave LE in their cute pots....let me know how it goes and whether it's easy to depot. I'm also worried about breaking my shadows, etc.

jenii

I usually depot permanent e/s (except lustres, because I don't want the glitter getting all over the other e/s). LE ones I keep in the pot.

Problem is I have SO MANY LE ones because of MAC's insistence upon making every damn thing LE in the past couple of years.

I'd depot them, but honestly I'm afraid of ruining them. I ruined a Velvet Moss e/s the first time I depotted eyeshadows. Granted, I depotted like 10 others that day without screwing up, but still... I don't wanna risk any of my lovely LE shadows, since I only buy LE shadows that I REALLY love the look of. I'd be heartbroken if my Parrot or Swan Lake were ruined.
ssad.gif

BinkysBaby

I just started depotting and depanning (maybe 5 months) ago and it's the best thing that I've ever done. I had e/s for years that I have never used because they were out of sight, out of mind. Now that I have them depotted/depanned and with their color spectrum, I get so much more use out of them. And you can appreciate their color more when they are next to a similar color. And you save tons and tons of space like the other girls did. A pot is just a pot to me now.

Amaranth

For the record ladies, I depotted some shadows last week and tried to take them back to MAC today. At first, they did not accept them, but apparently I'm persuasive, because they said they'd make an exception this one time, and I got two free shadows. However, I asked if store policies varied from location to location, and the store manager said that the whole not acceptin pots without pans intact thing was being handed down straight from MAC and is now universal. She even called MAC HQ to confirm...no more panless pots for B2M, at any location.

...However, claim you e-mailed a MAC artist and they said you could bring them back, or something like that, and maybe they'll still do it for you. Just make sure you do it really soon!

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranth
For the record ladies, I depotted some shadows last week and tried to take them back to MAC today. At first, they did not accept them, but apparently I'm persuasive, because they said they'd make an exception this one time, and I got two free shadows. However, I asked if store policies varied from location to location, and the store manager said that the whole not acceptin pots without pans intact thing was being handed down straight from MAC and is now universal. She even called MAC HQ to confirm...no more panless pots for B2M, at any location.

...However, claim you e-mailed a MAC artist and they said you could bring them back, or something like that, and maybe they'll still do it for you. Just make sure you do it really soon!

WHAT!!!! That is insanity. I was just planning on depoting all of my non-LE special packaging eye shadows (Lure, Moonebate, etc). I will see what the people at my local stores say before giving it a try.

Ashleybubbles83

i don't know how to depot, and i don't own pallettes, but i have to say that, having my shadows remain in their pots is easier for me to transport them if i can't do my makeup at home or i'm pressed for time or something. i don't think i could do that and carry around a big palette with shadows that i didn't need to use that day or something. but if you know how to depot, then i say the palette's the way to go...maybe one day i'll learn.

*Luna*

I loooove my single pots. My only problem now is that with a growing kit and collection I am running out of room rather quickly. I am thinking that I am going to have to break down and start depotting *sigh* that whole process does not appeal to me one bit!

missBOMBcheLLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Luna*
I loooove my single pots. My only problem now is that with a growing kit and collection I am running out of room rather quickly. I am thinking that I am going to have to break down and start depotting *sigh* that whole process does not appeal to me one bit!

once yOo do one pot yOu'LL get hOoked 'n won't want to stop!!! it's so fun
greengrin.gif
give it a try
heart.gif

clamster

Palettes you can see all the colors at one and you can line them up so you have a look in rows(3 shadows). Also takes up less space. However I think pots are easier to travel with. But overall I think palettes are just more convenient.

Randy Rose

It's all about the palettes. They're way cheaper, you get the instant gratification with B2M, and they're great space savers. I constantly used to lose my most used e/s (whites, blacks, the neutrals I use on almost every eye) but no more.

Even if they won't take panless plastic, you can always save your plastics in a bag and put the depotted pans back in them when you finish the eyeshadow. It doesn't take any more time than it would working just from pots.

As far as portability goes, I actually think palettes are the total best. What I do is this: I keep enough 15 palettes to hold all my shadows, and I have one empty 4 palette in case I need to go somewhere with a specific look. Then I just pop out the shadows I need and go! (usually I do this when I have to do stage makeup, I just stick Gesso, Brule, Swiss Chocolate, and Print in a quad) Believe me, a quad is MUCH easier to handle than 4 pots!

Although I must admit I have been holding off depotting my Moonbathe e/s and blushes. They're just SO GORGEOUS!

lara

Palettes. Pots are a pain, not even special packaging prevents me from whipping them out.

Robin

I totally want to do palettes, but apparently I'm a huge klutz when it comes to depotting. I tried it on two of my eyeshadows and ruined both (well, not completely ruined, but close). I tried the method where you heat the pot up with a hairdryer to melt the glue. Maybe I didn't get it hot enough?? The pan should pop out pretty easily, right? I really had to pry mine out...which is why I think I ruined them. :confused:

Anyway, now when I buy new eyeshadows, I've been getting them in the pro pans. I'm kinda scared to depot my other shadows now that I've ruined two.
ssad.gif

EDIT: I just tried the wonderful flat iron method of depotting posted here: http://www.specktra.net/showthread.php?t=40895

It worked great!! So...even a klutz like me can depot. I'm off to buy palettes tomorrow.

Twinkle_Twinkle

I started depotting today, and it was going well until I sliced my thumb with the xacto knife and nearly ruined my Sushi Flower (it is just kind of chalked up, the majority if still there, but I am sad) so I am done for a little while. I think I will do a couple more just so I can have a multiple of 6 empties for B2M, but then I am done, and I am def NOT touching my C-Shock shadows.

A question for you all who depot and buy pro pans (I buy pro pans when I can) - How do you organize your colors?