MAC Strength Collection Discussion (December 2012)

kimbunney

I think I pretty much have my list for this collection depending on how the blushes swatch for WOC those two, Strong woman (since I skipped TT lippies), Pink Pigeon, and Party Parrot.

martiangurll

Thanks for the swatches ladies! Strong Woman is an absolute must-have for me. I think it's perfectly named, too, because it's such a bold, stand-alone colour.

Absolute Power is really nice, but it'll just be a question of comparing it to what I already have. So many reds already at my disposal and some of them aren't getting enough love as is...
iagree.gif

lilinah

So, i went to my local MAC shop today. "My" MUA was there, and she said, No Problem pre-ordering from Strength and from Apres Chic! Whew! Since i had tested pretty much everything yesterday, she could put back most of what she had been holding for me from the two collections, because i had narrowed down what i wanted.

AND i got to do that CP for a Specktralite, so I feel so much better now.

My MUA said that shop got lots of Pink Pigeon and Party Parrot. It was the Taste Temptation collection they couldn't pre-sell because they'd only gotten 4 each of item.

The two lip pencils being promoted: Embrace Me (vivid pinkish fuchsia) goes nicely with PiPi and Lasting Sensation (bright coral) with PaPa.

To answer a question i had - and some other folks - Strong Woman and Seductive Intent (in the TT coll.) are VERY VERY different from each other.

Of the two, Seductive Intent (TT coll.) is brighter, a bit lighter, and significantly bluer. I forgot to bring Violetta with me to compare, but i'd say it's in the same camp as Heroine from Reel Sexy (matte) and Violetta (Amplified), even if they aren't all exactly the same. Since SI is a mattene it has a different finish that the other two and that could make a difference in how it looks on and how it wears.

Strong Woman (Strength coll.) is darker and a tad warmer / redder. It's not plum, maybe more of a true purple. It's perhaps a more sophisticated color than SI - i'm not saying that's necessarily better, just know your own style and choose accordingly. And yet it seems to me to be the more unusual color of the two. Let me note that while it's warmer and redder than SI, it is still definitely a cool color, purple, not red.

Firm Form was less golden in the swatch on my arm than i had hoped. It is a little sheer, as we already know, and seems to have a slight plummy undertone. I didn't put on my lips, so i'm not sure how it will wear. But I'm still excited for the opportunity to get to wear it.

I don't do red, so i didn't test Absolute Power.

Taupe Shape blush looks light beige-taupe in the pan, but it makes a nice contour; it is like having a portable shadow. The MUA said it was best for contouring; but, me, being me, i'll play with it for more than just that.

Poised blush is quite nice, a light neutral peach color, very pretty, not for me, but definitely a good everyday warm-colored blush.

Sorry, i didn't even check out the E/S Quads, since they really didn't interest me.

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by Baby1black
Oh they don't so probably they do not care much if u spend $15 or $500.

"My" MUA calls me to let me know when they get in a new collection to test and pre-order. It was amusing getting a call from her last summer when i was about 3,000 miles east...

Hopefully they will have enough stock online. I think mostly people would be going for PIPI or party parrot and ofcourse the purple lippie . I do like party parrot but prefer moxie to it so not sure if I would back up that one even if I got the chance.

Well, as i just posted, apparently my shop got plenty of Pink Pigeon and Party Parrot, so perhaps MAC is prepared for the onslaught this time. They are not colors for me, but i can certainly see why they're sought after.

I did not get any of the marlin lippies so maybe get absolute power and Defintely firm form. And ofcourse there are still the après chic lippies and the nicki Mina's 2 lippie and the lovely collection lippies that I have none of from previous collection.

I got no lipsticks from Marilyn either, since i don't do red. Firm Form is definitely unusual so i got it. The lipsticks in Apres Chic are a whole different animal. And i am SO THERE for Viva Glam Nicki2. Don't get me started on all the MAC lipsticks i have. I'll never ever use them up!

Will I ever use up at least one tube of a mac lipstick. I am the kind of person that does not use the same lipstick three days in a row. Sigh!

I am in the same boat
sigh.gif

GlamQueen21

I'm starting to want it too! I've all the reds you have minus Kanga Rouge and plus Scarlet Ibis, Ruffian Red, Love Goddess, Rocker, Legerdary mattene (it falls in the red category for me) and Chanel Dragon and Famous. Do I really need this? Liba what do you think, is it really that unique?
I forgot to include Ruffian Red that I have! That one is the most gorgeous red ever! I have heard so much about the infamous Chanel Dragon.

martiangurll

So, i went to my local MAC shop today. "My" MUA was there, and she said, No Problem pre-ordering from Strength and from Apres Chic! Whew! Since i had tested pretty much everything yesterday, she could put back most of what she had been holding for me from the two collections, because i had narrowed down what i wanted.

My MUA said that shop got lots of Pink Pigeon and Party Parrot. It was the Taste Temptation collection they couldn't pre-sell because they'd only gotten 4 each of item.

The two lip pencils being promoted: Embrace Me (vivid pinkish fuchsia) goes nicely with PiPi and Lasting Sensation (bright coral) with PaPa.

To answer a question i had - and some other folks - Strong Woman and Seductive Intent (in the TT coll.) are VERY VERY different from each other.

Of the two, Seductive Intent (TT coll.) is brighter, a bit lighter, and significantly bluer. I forgot to bring Violetta with me to compare, but i'd say it's in the same camp as Heroine from Reel Sexy (matte) and Violetta (Amplified), even if they aren't all exactly the same. Since SI is a mattene it has a different finish that the other two and that could make a difference in how it looks on and how it wears.

Strong Woman (Strength coll.) is darker and a tad warmer / redder. It's not plum, maybe more of a true purple. It's perhaps a more sophisticated color than SI - i'm not saying that's necessarily better, just know your own style and choose accordingly. And yet it seems to me to be the more unusual color of the two. Let me note that while it's warmer and redder than SI, it is still definitely a cool color, purple, not red.

Firm Form was less golden in the swatch on my arm than i had hoped. It is a little sheer, as we already know, and seems to have a slight plummy undertone. I didn't put on my lips, so i'm not sure how it will wear. But I'm still excited for the opportunity to get to wear it.

Taupe Shape blush looks light beige-taupe in the pan, but it makes a nice contour; it is like having a portable shadow. The MUA said it was best for contouring; but, me, being me, i'll play with it for more than just that.

Poised blush is quite nice, a light neutral peach color, very pretty, not for me, but definitely a good everyday warm-colored blush.

Sorry, i didn't even check out the E/S Quads, since they really didn't interest me.
Love your review. Unfortunately, I am now enabled for both the purple lippies...

Baby1black

So, i went to my local MAC shop today. "My" MUA was there, and she said, No Problem pre-ordering from Strength and from Apres Chic! Whew! Since i had tested pretty much everything yesterday, she could put back most of what she had been holding for me from the two collections, because i had narrowed down what i wanted. AND i got to do that CP for a Specktralite, so I feel so much better now. My MUA said that shop got lots of Pink Pigeon and Party Parrot. It was the Taste Temptation collection they couldn't pre-sell because they'd only gotten 4 each of item. The two lip pencils being promoted: Embrace Me (vivid pinkish fuchsia) goes nicely with PiPi and Lasting Sensation (bright coral) with PaPa. To answer a question i had - and some other folks - Strong Woman and Seductive Intent (in the TT coll.) are VERY VERY different from each other.  
Of the two, Seductive Intent (TT coll.) is brighter, a bit lighter, and significantly bluer. I forgot to bring Violetta with me to compare, but i'd say it's in the same camp as Heroine from Reel Sexy (matte) and Violetta (Amplified), even if they aren't all exactly the same. Since SI is a mattene it has a different finish that the other two and that could make a difference in how it looks on and how it wears.

Strong Woman (Strength coll.) is darker and a tad warmer / redder. It's not plum, maybe more of a true purple. It's perhaps a more sophisticated color than SI - i'm not saying that's necessarily better, just know your own style and choose accordingly. And yet it seems to me to be the more unusual color of the two. Let me note that while it's warmer and redder than SI, it is still definitely a cool color, purple, not red.

Firm Form was less golden in the swatch on my arm than i had hoped. It is a little sheer, as we already know, and seems to have a slight plummy undertone. I didn't put on my lips, so i'm not sure how it will wear. But I'm still excited for the opportunity to get to wear it.
  I don't do red, so i didn't test Absolute Power.

Taupe Shape blush looks light beige-taupe in the pan, but it makes a nice contour; it is like having a portable shadow. The MUA said it was best for contouring; but, me, being me, i'll play with it for more than just that.
  Poised blush is quite nice, a light neutral peach color, very pretty, not for me, but definitely a good everyday warm-colored blush. Sorry, i didn't even check out the E/S Quads, since they really didn't interest me.
Did they have enough taupe shape? That is the only blush I am interested in this collection and ofcourse firm form. I will get strong women because I did not get SI and probably absolute power because I only have 2 reds in my collection. I do not wear reds as much. I hope I ill be there when it launches online.

Mac-Guy

I don't know about the Pro shops, but i have been told multiple times by multiple SAs at my local stand-alone MAC store that they do not get commission.
They don't get commission, but they have to meet their sales targets. Otherwise, they will be in trouble.

peachsuns

I would say both Charmed I'm Sure and Red Racer. They are amazing!
I forgot to include Ruffian Red that I have! That one is the most gorgeous red ever! I have heard so much about the infamous Chanel Dragon.
Great, I have both Charmed I'm Sure and Red Racer! LOL I have heard so much about Chanel Dragon as well. Hope I'll get to see it in person someday. Haha.

My list haven't changed. I would love to get Pink Pigeon, Party Parrot, and Taupe Shape.
Hope to see some swatches of Taupe Shape soon!
amuse.gif

CartoonChic

MAC should just make Embrace Me permanent. Hasn't it come out 3-4 times this year?

Pinkdollface

I would say both Charmed I'm Sure and Red Racer. They are amazing! I forgot to include Ruffian Red that I have! That one is the most gorgeous red ever! I have heard so much about the infamous Chanel Dragon.
Dragon is a beautiful colour, but since it's a liquid lipstick hair can get stuck easier. It dries down after an hour, but I still need to be more careful. It is worth it though! I love Ruffian Red too.

Liz2012

Have we already seen promo pics of this collection?
hmm.gif
I really wanna get one of the two quads but i have no idea which one to get (i'll be getting my goodies through a CP).

martiangurll

Ok, thanks! :) Based on the descriptions i'm liking the All Woman quad a bit more, so i guess i'll stick with that one
peace2.gif
One of the quads is more warm toned & the other cool toned (but I don't recall which is which) if that helps narrow it down for you. I cannot decide, which means probably skipping some lippies so I can get both quads.

Liz2012

I am with ya! I will even take a beating from that model with all the muscles if I have to for that purple.
One of the quads is more warm toned & the other cool toned (but I don't recall which is which) if that helps narrow it down for you. I cannot decide, which means probably skipping some lippies so I can get both quads.
I believe Liba said the All Woman quad is the warm toned one, being NC it would probably look best on me. Would love to get both quads as well but with the damage i've done lately i'm obligating myself to get only one
angelic.gif

linainoz

Would anyone in the US be willing to do a CP for 3 lippies for me - I'm in Australia. We won't be getting the collection til Feb apparently, and I'm not sure where it will be available. And even if we do get them, the lipsticks will be $36 AUD (which is $37 USD) - the markup is ridiculous! If I only wanted one colour, I'd wait and get it here, but for 3 the savings are worth trying to get a CP

TIA

Lina

liba

I believe Liba said the All Woman quad is the warm toned one, being NC it would probably look best on me. Would love to get both quads as well but with the damage i've done lately i'm obligating myself to get only one
angelic.gif
All Woman is neutral more than obviously warm, Inner Strength is definitely for NW people, but if you're not strongly NC and are pretty pale, I think you could get away with it too. Personally, I think I could only wear All Woman, but that's because I've got some darker very NC skin around my eyes.

Latest posts