MAC The Stylish Brow Collection Discussion (December 2012)

ChosenOne

You sound like me LOL I like natural looking brows so putting stuff on them feels like
graucho.gif
. My guy came home when I was trying to learn how to use it and he told me to take it off my brow b/c he couldn't hold a conversation with me. I looked cray. Was trying to follow some Youtube video, but a lot of people there have super prominent brows.
girlhaha.gif

califabulous

You sound like me LOL I like natural looking brows so putting stuff on them feels like
graucho.gif
. My guy came home when I was trying to learn how to use it and he told me to take it off my brow b/c he couldn't hold a conversation with me. I looked cray. Was trying to follow some Youtube video, but a lot of people there have super prominent brows.
LOL @
graucho.gif
HILARIOUS

Pinkdollface

So I got the Dirty Blonde fluidline and...I love it! Last week a MUA tried it on me and I didn't like it at all. It looked too defined and dark in my opinion. Still I couldn't get it out of my mind, because I really wanted to love it. I decided to take a chance and buy it and I was hoping the MUA had just put on too much and indeed I think that was the problem. I only need a tiny bit, but it really helps to give my brows a better shape. I used Fling brow pencil before this, but I can't get such a defined brow with that as I can with the fluidline. It isn't overly defined, just the right amount for me as long as I use it sparingly. I wasn't into brows until a couple of months ago, but now I see that it can really finish a look. I just needed to get used to it and Fling really helped with that. I don't think I would have liked the brow fluidline if I was not used to Fling already. I also got the 208 brush and the clear brow gel. The 208 works great with the brow fluidline and the brow gel keeps the hairs in place perfectly without giving them a gel like look.

Copperhead

So I got the Dirty Blonde fluidline and...I love it! Last week a MUA tried it on me and I didn't like it at all. It looked too defined and dark in my opinion. Still I couldn't get it out of my mind, because I really wanted to love it. I decided to take a chance and buy it and I was hoping the MUA had just put on too much and indeed I think that was the problem. I only need a tiny bit, but it really helps to give my brows a better shape. I used Fling brow pencil before this, but I can't get such a defined brow with that as I can with the fluidline. It isn't overly defined, just the right amount for me as long as I use it sparingly. I wasn't into brows until a couple of months ago, but now I see that it can really finish a look. I just needed to get used to it and Fling really helped with that. I don't think I would have liked the brow fluidline if I was not used to Fling already. I also got the 208 brush and the clear brow gel. The 208 works great with the brow fluidline and the brow gel keeps the hairs in place perfectly without giving them a gel like look.
thmbup.gif

honey on boost

I wish DB was still in stock here. The 208 is the perfect brush for brows.

MissTT

When I was in store Saturday the MUA recommended I use Spiked pencil and not DBB fluidline. Womp womp. Now I feel like I wasted money.

luvlydee

When I was in store Saturday the MUA recommended I use Spiked pencil and not DBB fluidline. Womp womp. Now I feel like I wasted money.
Dont feel that way unless u dont like how dbb looks on you. Just because a mua recommends it doesnt mean its something you have to live by lol.

MissTT

I know, I know. He was just talking more in terms of ease of use for a novice. He said he has to be very, very careful w/ the fluidlines and recommended the pencil as easiest method. I bought the pencil because I loved how he did my brows. Hopefully I can figure out both techniques. He was all about making things easy for me which I can appreciate.

luvlydee

I know, I know. He was just talking more in terms of ease of use for a novice. He said he has to be very, very careful w/ the fluidlines and recommended the pencil as easiest method. I bought the pencil because I loved how he did my brows. Hopefully I can figure out both techniques. He was all about making things easy for me which I can appreciate.
Oo definitely. I had to concentrate more with the fluidline. It was kind of annoying lol but i think i have officially found my HG eyebrow pencil. Anastasia brow wiz in medium ash. Woop woop. If u guys know of a cheaper alternative to that please let me know

honey on boost

Oo definitely. I had to concentrate more with the fluidline. It was kind of annoying lol but i think i have officially found my HG eyebrow pencil. Anastasia brow wiz in medium ash. Woop woop. If u guys know of a cheaper alternative to that please let me know
I love Anastasia. I've never tried their brow pencils though.. I'm going to place an order today since I'm low on powder.

lilinah

Well, an article in Allure said brow powders are too hard for average users, but that's what i've been using for quite a while. Previously i was using a fairly standard brow pencil (not the new MAC Veluxe Pearl brow pencils) and they give me a thick smudgy line even when they're sharp.

But i have naturally very thin brows, sadly now with some bare spots - i guess my brows are going bald with old age :) So powders are much better and give a softer look than pencils - i apply with a fairly standard angled (brow / eye) brush. And the (Dirty Blond) brow gel cream is much more controlled - i use a very fine pointed, slightly stiff, artist's brush, which is like a very fine eye liner brush.

I got one of Anastasia's brow gels - with a spoolie in the tube - and while the color is good, i just don't have enough brow - in terms of shape and the number of hairs - to make it work with the spoolie. I should experiment using a brush, since i like the golden taupe color.

Ultimately, I think what works best really varies with what look we each like for ourselves + our makeup skillz. I don't like dark heavy brows on me, so i use brow colors that are a little lighter than my hair.

MissTT

That's funny, lilnah, b/c I started out with a brow powder and wax kit from N.Y.C. I'd say it's easier and softer than a pencil. I'd still be using it if I hadn't lost it in one of our various moves in the last few years. I was hoping the fluidline would be similar, but it's so much more pigmented. I'll see if I can get it to work. The 208 is a great brush for it though I can tell that much.

Copperhead

Well, an article in Allure said brow powders are too hard for average users, but that's what i've been using for quite a while. Previously i was using a fairly standard brow pencil (not the new MAC Veluxe Pearl brow pencils) and they give me a thick smudgy line even when they're sharp.

But i have naturally very thin brows, sadly now with some bare spots - i guess my brows are going bald with old age :) So powders are much better and give a softer look than pencils - i apply with a fairly standard angled (brow / eye) brush. And the (Dirty Blond) brow gel cream is much more controlled - i use a very fine pointed, slightly stiff, artist's brush, which is like a very fine eye liner brush.

I got one of Anastasia's brow gels - with a spoolie in the tube - and while the color is good, i just don't have enough brow - in terms of shape and the number of hairs - to make it work with the spoolie. I should experiment using a brush, since i like the golden taupe color.

Ultimately, I think what works best really varies with what look we each like for ourselves + our makeup skillz. I don't like dark heavy brows on me, so i use brow colors that are a little lighter than my hair.
I like my brows a little lighter than my hair too. I've been coloring my hair black for a few years now (thinking about changing and softening up a bit with another color lately) and I WILL NOT walk around with black brows.

martiangurll

I cannot imagine how the powder would stay on the brows without gel or wax to keep it there, so I avoided using powder and don't think it is easy. A pencil seems the easiest to me to use, but you have to smudge it or to me it looks too obvious, unless I draw multiple, short lines going in the direction of the brow hairs. For quickness, I like the ease of a brow gel that is colored close to my hair color and I have to say that the Dior gel I got works well for that. I would love for MAC to make a brow gel that is similar to the Fling or Lingering pencil color.

Copperhead

I cannot imagine how the powder would stay on the brows without gel or wax to keep it there, so I avoided using powder and don't think it is easy. A pencil seems the easiest to me to use, but you have to smudge it or to me it looks too obvious, unless I draw multiple, short lines going in the direction of the brow hairs. For quickness, I like the ease of a brow gel that is colored close to my hair color and I have to say that the Dior gel I got works well for that. I would love for MAC to make a brow gel that is similar to the Fling or Lingering pencil color.
I thought that's the way to do it. I know there aren't any "rules" per se, but if using a pencil, to get the most natural look, short strokes going in the direction of the brow hairs should be done. No rules but it's what I do when using a pencil.

erine1881

I like my brows a little lighter than my hair too. I've been coloring my hair black for a few years now (thinking about changing and softening up a bit with another color lately) and I WILL NOT walk around with black brows. 
With hair that dark, you want your brows to be two shades lighter. Not to match it exactly. :nope: