MAC Tropical Taboo Collection (2013)

cr8zy4MAC

For those in Southern Cali I just called 3 stores....my pro store in Costa Mesa said it launches July 4th I then called one more store in Cerritos and a nordstrom counter in Santa Ana and both said the 27th...one of them said that it was because of a re-launch of "extreme dimension" collection. This sucks! now I cant spend as much as I planned
cry.gif
Could you possibly mean "In Extra Dimension" instead of "extreme dimension"???

Michelemu21

For those in Southern Cali I just called 3 stores....my pro store in Costa Mesa said it launches July 4th I then called one more store in Cerritos and a nordstrom counter in Santa Ana and both said the 27th...one of them said that it was because of a re-launch of "extreme dimension" collection. This sucks! now I cant spend as much as I planned 
cry.gif
what extreme dimension relaunch?

cr8zy4MAC

If all of you had to pick your very favorite highlighter (non-pore minimizing ... liquid, powder or cream) that MAC has ever made, what would it be?

Ana A

I had her on speaker and my bf and I clearly heard "re-launch" and "Extreme dimension" but she probably just mispronounced it and I didnt question because I was more focused on tropical taboo...judging from the background noise they were busy too so take it with a grain of salt. :)

cr8zy4MAC

I had a Superb Extra Dimension that was sitting there never used. I ended up selling it. Maybe I should have kept that one. I also have Whisper of Gilt that I have used several times. I also have Pearl and Luna, Perfect Topping (2), Soft and Gentle, Lightscapade (2), Refined, Northern Light, Light Year, Shimpagne (2) Gold Spill, Light Flush, Cheeky Bronze, Stereo Rose (original release - 2) , Redhead, Blonde, Refined, Star Wonder, Play It Proper, By Candlelight, Shell Pearl, So Ceylan and Gold Deposit. Most of these I hardly ever even use. The ones that have gotten the most attention from me lately would be Play It Proper, Shell Pearl, Pearl, Luna and Soft and Gentle. Here I am debating if there is something from this upcoming collection that is something that I will be kicking myself if I don't get, but after looking at my list, I highly doubt I'll need anything for quite a while!

brooklyn02

OK so a little more wrap-up on the MSFs before going on the blushes. Adored is going to be amazing on asian skin tones, and fair NC skin. It might be good for counteracting redness in a fair NW skin too, but the paler shade in it has an almost khaki beige element so there's green and yellow to it that could also seem a bit dull for some NW. The coral provides the sheen color and is very cute and adorable. Rio is very pink and is going to be good for the most people I think. Lust is more subtle but with this metallic thing going on, I don't know if anyone who loves subtle makeup is going to think of it as subtle enough. None of these are what I'd personally want to use as a blush, due to the extreme metallic thing - all of these MSFs go on dry the way the old MSFs would apply with Fix+. I hope I'm not making the MSFs sound too scary. I like extreme makeup looks and am really open to new ideas and even I was scratching my head a bit at first, but after wearing Adored for the rest of the day and getting to see it in full sun and sunset and indoor nighttime light, my final verdict is it's GORGEOUS and I am past the initial shock of the finish. If you're going to try these on at a store, try and check them in natural light or just figure that however extreme they may look in the florescent lights of a MAC counter, they're going to look much more flattering out in the daylight by far. Don't be afraid!!!!
Liba, thanks for your feedback. When it comes to some collection I feel it's best to wait till it launches in the store to get the true payoff of the products.

cr8zy4MAC

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but most people are going to see me wearing making in most florescent lighting. I can get away with more extreme makeup since I work at Sephora, but I don't want people looking at me thinking, "Wow, she really shouldn't be wearing that!". You guys know what I mean, right? I keep thinking about this metallic sheen going across the tops of my cheekbones bringing too much attention to old wrinkly eyes. I just don't know what to do with this collection!
th_confused_new.gif

erine1881

What highlighter from MAC has been your favorite so far?  Have you used the Luster Drops?  I haven't tried those yet.
Redhead and By Candlelight are my favorites, by far. The lustre drops work best with liquid foundation, and seeing as i don't wear foundation, i don't get a lot of use out of them personally. I much prefer powder highlighters.

cr8zy4MAC

Redhead and By Candlelight are my favorites, by far. The lustre drops work best with liquid foundation, and seeing as i don't wear foundation, i don't get a lot of use out of them personally. I much prefer powder highlighters.
Wow, you have beautiful skin, you lucky dog! I love it when people who don't need foundation, pass on it totally. No foundation is a match for naturally beautiful skin ever!

BTW, I want to thank you for recommending the MAC Strobe Liquid Lotion from the past collection. I picked up two of them, due to your glowing (pun intended) recommendation. I love them. I also have the Strobe Cream I put on after my moisturizer and before my primer. Then I add the Strobe Liquid Lotion in with my foundation to give a dewy appearance. I am always trying to keep my skin as dewy and hydrated as possible.

MACina

Thank you very much, liba!

Your review confirms my list....Time to Tango, Tropica and Cha-Cha-Cha.
I just cannot resist a color like Cha-Cha-Cha....I have JF and Water but I NEED to get CCC too.
Tropica and TTT sound just divine
eyelove.gif

Initially I planned on getting DTB too but I' d rather stick to a cream colored powder eyeshadow instead.
No need for golden glitter anyway....

Bossa Blue was a skip from the beginning and the chunky glitter of Caribbean is a total no-go for me.

So on to the eye shadows….

Mixed bag here, people. Be aware!
th_rolleye0014.gif

Some of these are much more glittery than others. The glittery ones aren't going to magically get un-glittery if you pick the right swirls, so if you like the color, you will have to live with the glitter. Not all of them are like this, at least and ALSO, I tested the glittery ones with the duo-fiber brush that's being re-promoted with the collection and that brush does help cut down on excess glitter and fallout really well - so well that I think I'm going to grab one to deal with my more glittery MES just in general.

My favorite from the shadows is Tropica. Not only is the color really lovely - sort of a purplish light blue with a pink cast and a very duo-chrome effect as the light hits it - but it's shimmery but not glittery. I don't have another MES with quite this color. It's a cool tone but has enough pink in it that it's very wearable even on me, who doesn't do well with every cool blue shadow by a long shot. It's going to look great with some purple liner.

Next best is Bossa Blue, but this one can be a little fussy. Trying to swirl the two colors together didn't work very well. The brown in this one is quite matte, surprisingly. There isn't any shimmer in it at all. We haven't seen this texture in an MES for a long while. The blue is more shimmery, but not glittery, and is a very rich blue with a touch of teal. Swirling them together though, the two colors don't mix well and it goes on patchy and hard to blend. You'll do best to find one where there's mostly a blue side and a brown side so that you can avoid most swirling. The brown is a rather unusual brown - sort of flat and cool, but very flattering. It's not going to show up on the darkest skin, though the blue ought to just fine. I'd say the brown is closest to Twilight Falls, but it doesn't have any shimmer in it.

Third place for me goes to Time to Tango. The description is a little deceptive. It's sort of a dusky cornflower blue/purple with burnished pewter veining. This pewter color is NOT cool - it looks like a very pale bronze or khaki gold, not silver. Applied dry, it looks quite similar to Tropica, but somewhat darker and warmer, due to the pewter. The only thing is - this one has glitter in the pewter bits. I found that applying with the duo fiber brush helped keep the glitter under control and I didn't have fall-out - maybe just one glitter piece or two max. It's a dreamy, subtle color when swirled together - just what the MES does best, so I really like it, but your mileage may vary if you don't like glitter in your MES at all.

Other people may really love Carribean, but here's the thing. MAC's been putting out variations of this shade in collection after collection of MES. This one is the LEAST glittery and sparkly of them all - it's very smooth with a satin sheen. So, it's tempting, but I personally am not going to allow myself to get it, because I have tons of In The Sun and Quartz Fusion and just can't justify a purchase, even if this is the smoothest version out there. I don't mind the glitter, though, so it's easier for me to be satisfied with what I already have. For other people who love this shade but hate the glitter, you're going to want to give Carribean a look.

The same thing goes for Cha-Cha-Cha. We've gotten this color in multiple collections but this time, the chartreuse color is extra pigmented, even applied dry and the deep blue comes nice and separate in chunks so that you aren't forced to swirl them together, so yes, new and improved, but it is the exact same color we have seen before in Jade's Fortune and Water. I'm passing, but if you love that bright chartreuse color and love MES, you will be happier with this one than the previous versions by a lot.

Dare To Bare we've also seen a bunch of times. It's cream! It goes on very smoothly and the one I tried only had a tiny touch of glitter. It's a high quality MES, but I bet everyone has something like this already.

One thing to note: All these MES work really well dry - I didn't even bother to use Fix+ with any of them and got plenty of pigmentation on all of them. Using them wet might make a few of them more opaque, but most of them are fine the way they are dry and might even run into problems if applied wet and get streaky or clumpy - I don't think that brown in Bossa Blue could handle too much moisture when applied, for example, but it's plenty pigmented on its own. Cha-Cha-Cha is quite bright applied totally dry without a base, but you could get it very dense with a little extra effort too.

erine1881

Wow, you have beautiful skin, you lucky dog!  I love it when people who don't need foundation, pass on it totally.  No foundation is a match for naturally beautiful skin ever! BTW, I want to thank you for recommending the MAC Strobe Liquid Lotion from the past collection.  I picked up two of them, due to your glowing (pun intended) recommendation.  I love them.  I also have the Strobe Cream I put on after my moisturizer and before my primer.  Then I add the Strobe Liquid Lotion in with my foundation to give a dewy appearance.  I am always trying to keep my skin as dewy and hydrated as possible.
Awww thank you :blush: just a bit of MSFN and I'm good to go! And you're very welcome! It's all about the skin!