MAC x Carine Roitfeld (Fall 2012)

xasperadastra

ok, we have had the price increase in these days... around 50 cents of euro more on almost every product and around 2 euro on some brushes :/

martiangurll

news flash: inflation will continue and the prices are just beginning to take off.. plus the added feature that collections are getting smaller, so the profit margins have to be higher on each item per category..
hatsoff.gif
Can't they just shave off product around the sides or something.

Chrissy

Sugar & Spice

Well I've decided I'm no longer buying MAC. I really didn't buy a lot of it anyway, so the price increase just makes it easier to not buy it at all.

NinaE

*tear*

$15 for lipstick
$15.50 for an eyeshadow
$20 cremesheen glass (wahhh)
$20.50 mes? or $21 now?

I dunno.. do those sound right?
The last lipstick (from the regular line) I bought "in shop" in Norway did cost me $24 - it´s the normal price :(

ladyarwen

Stupid inflation...UGH. Before you know it, eyeshadows and lippies will be $20 a pop, and I'll have to say good bye to MAC altogether.

Yazmin

Stupid inflation...UGH. Before you know it, eyeshadows and lippies will be $20 a pop, and I'll have to say good bye to MAC altogether.
If it ever gets to that point, a MAC lippie would have to be very special to make me shell out that much for it. Benefit is that I'd be forced to shop my own stash and finally start using the ones that are still in their boxes! MW2 is the only collection so far where I have spent that much for a lipstick, but that also had special packaging.

Mac-Guy

Sadly enough, we are not that far from that price point (especially considering that all the larger e/s are already 20 bucks).

Audrey C

It feels like MAC is trying to move upmarket. Inflation alone doesn't explain the increases we've seen. Mineralize blush have gone to $28 in Canada and MSF are $34. Those are recent hefty increases. Her Greyness mentioned that the current launches have fewer items; I'm not seeing how that would decrease MAC's profits, particularly if they're focusing on items that their data shows consistently sell out.

I'm glad I've built up the base of products that I have; I won't pay Chanel type prices for MAC, as much as I like them. The current MSF and Cremesheen gloss prices are about as high as I'm willing to go for those products. There are other good glosses to be had under $22.50.

baghdad81

It feels like MAC is trying to move upmarket. Inflation alone doesn't explain the increases we've seen. Mineralize blush have gone to $28 in Canada and MSF are $34. Those are recent hefty increases. Her Greyness mentioned that the current launches have fewer items; I'm not seeing how that would decrease MAC's profits, particularly if they're focusing on items that their data shows consistently sell out. I'm glad I've built up the base of products that I have; I won't pay Chanel type prices for MAC, as much as I like them. The current MSF and Cremesheen gloss prices are about as high as I'm willing to go for those products. There are other good glosses to be had under $22.50.
I just saw the price increases as well. Paint pots are now 21 as are concealers and ccb. Eyeshadows are now 18 (used to be 17.5), propans are 14$ (13.50), the propalette powder blush is now 21$ (used to be 18$!!!!!), and the regular is 24$ (I think it was 20$ or 22$). bottom line: it's becoming ridiculous.

Dominique33

A permanent M.A.C lipstick is 18 € here... A Marcel Wanders costs 26 €, well it's less than a Chanel lipstick and the formulas are great. For my Heavenly Creature makeup I payed 84 € ( 2 MES, Supernova and 1 lipstick ), prices in the US are lower !

Audrey C

A permanent M.A.C lipstick is 18 € here... A Marcel Wanders costs 26 €, well it's less than a Chanel lipstick and the formulas are great. For my Heavenly Creature makeup I payed 84 € ( 2 MES, Supernova and 1 lipstick ), prices in the US are lower !
Agreed - Canadian prices are almost 20% higher than the US (at least for the products I've looked at). MAC isn't alone in that; I find the same thing with Clinique and NARS. I have a business trip next week in the US so I'll pick up a few more staples while I can take advantage of lower prices.

I personally won't pay the extra for the couture collections - I like makeup but they're past what I'm willing to spend. I don't buy Chanel lipsticks due to price, so when MAC pricing approaches it I don't buy them either.

katred

Specktra Bestie
Agreed - Canadian prices are almost 20% higher than the US (at least for the products I've looked at). MAC isn't alone in that; I find the same thing with Clinique and NARS. I have a business trip next week in the US so I'll pick up a few more staples while I can take advantage of lower prices.

I personally won't pay the extra for the couture collections - I like makeup but they're past what I'm willing to spend. I don't buy Chanel lipsticks due to price, so when MAC pricing approaches it I don't buy them either.
This makes my blood boil when I see it, probably more so with Mac because they're a Canadian company. A lot of companies grossly exaggerate the differences between countries, having established those differences when the Canadian currency was valued at well less than the US. Since we've been right around the same for about 5 years now (with one temporary dip), I think they need to revisit those prices. It's true that taxes and duty can be higher here than in the US, but it doesn't account for the huge percentage difference.

Virtually all cosmetics companies are terrible about this. Guerlain would be a noticeable exception- their price (while high) are less than 10% more in Canada than in the US. Lush charges the same price to both countries last time I checked. Nars are higher, but not grossly so for the most part. Mac, Chanel, Nars, Armani, YSL (especially bad) and Bobbi Brown are all horrible gougers- companies that build in extra margin by claiming the exchange and import fees are higher than they actually are- as are a lot of brands available through Sephora. It's infuriating.

baghdad81

This makes my blood boil when I see it, probably more so with Mac because they're a Canadian company. A lot of companies grossly exaggerate the differences between countries, having established those differences when the Canadian currency was valued at well less than the US. Since we've been right around the same for about 5 years now (with one temporary dip), I think they need to revisit those prices. It's true that taxes and duty can be higher here than in the US, but it doesn't account for the huge percentage difference. Virtually all cosmetics companies are terrible about this. Guerlain would be a noticeable exception- their price (while high) are less than 10% more in Canada than in the US. Lush charges the same price to both countries last time I checked. Nars are higher, but not grossly so for the most part. Mac, Chanel, Nars, Armani, YSL (especially bad) and Bobbi Brown are all horrible gougers- companies that build in extra margin by claiming the exchange and import fees are higher than they actually are- as are a lot of brands available through Sephora. It's infuriating.
AMEN!

martiangurll

This makes my blood boil when I see it, probably more so with Mac because they're a Canadian company. A lot of companies grossly exaggerate the differences between countries, having established those differences when the Canadian currency was valued at well less than the US. Since we've been right around the same for about 5 years now (with one temporary dip), I think they need to revisit those prices. It's true that taxes and duty can be higher here than in the US, but it doesn't account for the huge percentage difference.

Virtually all cosmetics companies are terrible about this. Guerlain would be a noticeable exception- their price (while high) are less than 10% more in Canada than in the US. Lush charges the same price to both countries last time I checked. Nars are higher, but not grossly so for the most part. Mac, Chanel, Nars, Armani, YSL (especially bad) and Bobbi Brown are all horrible gougers- companies that build in extra margin by claiming the exchange and import fees are higher than they actually are- as are a lot of brands available through Sephora. It's infuriating.
That has never made sense to me either!

Latest posts