MAC x Rihanna Collection Discussion (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleentje

i think the other thing is that the celebs have the resources and connections to allow them to venture into different fields. i think it's natural to want to experiment in other areas of work. i know if i had that kind of opportunity, i would act on it!

sometimes i do feel a bit miffed as a designer when someone is able to 'skip the line' so to speak, when they start 'designing' without training, but although design training certainly helps, it's not the only way to become good at it. some of the most successful designers or artists are not formally trained - they improve their skills by doing.

of course, a person who doesn't have the training may also produce total crap and often that's what happens....and it's kinda annoying when the celebs just stamp their autograph or label on stuff when they haven't necessarily much had involvement in the actual production...there's a big difference between being a spokesperson and being the designer.
werd.gif
Unfortunately so common. To be honest, if you dig deeper, how much of "designer" stuff that is being sold to general public is created by those designers themselves? And how can you tell what is the celebrity's own style these days, when there is a whole stylist/PR team behind them? That's why I don't really trust "celebrity" products. You simply cannot tell what is the true product of their creativity and what is merely a clever marketing ploy. This is not to say I will never buy such products, as they can still be good, regardless who created them.

Spectacular

A lot of those singers/actors etc also know they may need something else to back up their income in later life. A lot of them are not going to be as popular in 10, 15, 20 years as they are now.
Dare I say a lot of them won't have the money they make from these partnerships 5 years from the time they do them let alone 10, 15, and 20. :) That's the funny thing, the more celebrity collaborations they less worth they are in a sense. The products themselves aren't what the company is focusing on, it's the face to promote the product and hopefully boost profits. Look at Dior. They've gone through Lily Allen, Blake Lively, Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis and now Jennifer Lawrence in how many years? The funny thing is celebs spend so much money so they have to make as much as they can. The companies they work with however aren't interested in partnerships that last years (like it used to be) a few ads, a few products, and the celeb is old news. Pretty soon the celeb is being replaced by the new hot thing and then they need to find ANOTHER way to make even more money. Since the product was never the focus it's just about finding the next popular face.

Spectacular

:werd:   Unfortunately so common. To be honest, if you dig deeper, how much of "designer" stuff that is being sold to general public is created by those designers themselves? And how can you tell what is the celebrity's own style these days, when there is a whole stylist/PR team behind them? That's why I don't really trust "celebrity" products. You simply cannot tell what is the true product of their creativity and what is merely a clever marketing ploy. This is not to say I will never buy such products, as they can still be good, regardless who created them.
So true. Celebs and product lines are always weird for me. I definitely see the reason for it on multiple levels: it's a great opportunity, it's a way to show off creativity, it makes money, it expands the brand. On the other hand there's just so much fakeness that i generally distrust the whole thing. It's like when a celebrity designs clothing but never actually wears their own brand. If I made sometime and was proud of the quality then yeah I'd wear it but some celebs...you never see that. Which makes me feel like A. You had nothing to do with the design and B. You don't even believe in the quality. Hair dye I don't think you use, clothing you don't wear...perfume bottles that you don't even try not to copy off another designer.

MaitaiFluff

So true. Celebs and product lines are always weird for me. I definitely see the reason for it on multiple levels: it's a great opportunity, it's a way to show off creativity, it makes money, it expands the brand. On the other hand there's just so much fakeness that i generally distrust the whole thing. It's like when a celebrity designs clothing but never actually wears their own brand. If I made sometime and was proud of the quality then yeah I'd wear it but some celebs...you never see that. Which makes me feel like A. You had nothing to do with the design and B. You don't even believe in the quality. Hair dye I don't think you use, clothing you don't wear...perfume bottles that you don't even try not to copy off another designer.
Like anything from the multiple Kardashian lines.

Prettypackages

I tend to avoid celeb lines. Like Jessica Simpson and the Kardashians. Gwen Stefani had a pair of shoes I almost bought on sale. But I left them there.

MaitaiFluff

I tend to avoid celeb lines.  Like Jessica Simpson and the Kardashians.   Gwen Stefani  had a pair of shoes I almost bought on sale.  But I left them there. 
:lol: Her LAMB stuff has seemed to drop off the face of the earth. I had one of her hoodies back in high school. There are a few celebrity lines out there that I respect, but it could mostly be because they don't make such a huge deal about it being theirs and put more effort in working with other designers to create a really awesome collection.

shontay07108

I used to live for LAMB handbags. It's like she doesn't even make them anymore. I hate that. I don't care about a celeb being involved with any product. I don't care if they actually did the work or just slapped their name on it. If I don't dislike the celebrity and the product is worth my money, I'll buy it. I used to buy Jessica Simpson shoes and they were pretty good, but the quality went down and now I cannot stand her. So, there's that.

Lipstickdiva420

i think the other thing is that the celebs have the resources and connections to allow them to venture into different fields. i think it's natural to want to experiment in other areas of work. i know if i had that kind of opportunity, i would act on it!

sometimes i do feel a bit miffed as a designer when someone is able to 'skip the line' so to speak, when they start 'designing' without training, but although design training certainly helps, it's not the only way to become good at it. some of the most successful designers or artists are not formally trained - they improve their skills by doing.

of course, a person who doesn't have the training may also produce total crap and often that's what happens....and it's kinda annoying when the celebs just stamp their autograph or label on stuff when they haven't necessarily much had involvement in the actual production...there's a big difference between being a spokesperson and being the designer.
Agreed!!! I see what you mean, but if celebs don't have no involvement it will eventually show because some celeb designer stuff don't so well anyway. If I was a celeb too I would do other things as well,but I would want to be involved.

Lipstickdiva420

True, but in my opinion it isn't the primary reason for all those celebrity products/collaborations popping up. It has simply become an additional (and extremely popular) venue of profit, so why say no to it? I doubt that all those famous people who starred in all kinds of ridiculous Japanese ads (http://www.japander.com/ has a nice collection) did it because they were not making enough money.
I agree, but they know down the line that they're not going to be on top like they use to be and you have the option of not even buying their music or DVDs thanks to the Internet.

Lipstickdiva420

Since the product was never the focus it's just about finding the next popular face.
Exactly!!!! Companies use the popular people for their products like nicki minaj. She has no talent what so ever , but she's the hot thing right now. When her 10 mins of fame is up companies will use someone else. I believe that being the hot person for a period of time is one of the reasons why they have problems. Some can't cope with not getting the attention like they used to or make money like they use to.

Lipstickdiva420

I tend to avoid celeb lines. Like Jessica Simpson and the Kardashians. Gwen Stefani had a pair of shoes I almost bought on sale. But I left them there.
I avoid it to and don't bother to look. I didn't even know Gwen had a shoe line.. The only way I'll buy from a celeb is if I really like the product.

erine1881

Are there any info on Ri Ri Woo? 
We have all the info IIRC. Colour description, photos of RiRi wearing it, launch info, packaging...everything but cost (which will probably be the normal special packaging cost). What else is there?
Like anything from the multiple Kardashian lines.
:werd: They don't wear their sears line, or their makeup. Hell, they're never seen in photos/tv wearing stuff they sell at their dash stores. They probably don't even wear their own parfume.
:lol: Her LAMB stuff has seemed to drop off the face of the earth. I had one of her hoodies back in high school.
I really want one of her beanie hats, but she doesn't seem to make em anymore :( and when she first started making purses, they were really great! I was even considering buying one. Now there doesn't really seem to be much to her line anymore. She was actually the only celebrity designer whose line i really liked, when it first came out. Very rocker chic.

Prettypackages

There are a few celebrity lines out there that I respect, but it could mostly be because they don't make such a huge deal about it being theirs and put more effort in working with other designers to create a really awesome collection.
LOL this was a few years ago, they were a great pair of shoes, but I have knee issues, and I knew I wouldn't have worn them.

KMQE716

It seems like no one makes as much money as years ago and everything costs more.   I've noticed trends where companies require you to buy more. Sheer shirts: you have to buy cami, movies: come a sereis of 3 instead of the full story in one, scent layering: buy more if you want a more complex scent. Makeup: limted edition or releases in series. Everything seems geared to make you buy more.
Yeah musicians lose out a lot bc before you had to buy the CD to get the music now you got illegal downloading, you have websites like spotify and pandora where you can play the music without having to buy, so it sucks for the artists. bc I remember when back in the day when artists was selling millions and millions, and it was an honor. Now they do what they did in a year in a few years.

MaitaiFluff

They don't wear their sears line, or their makeup. Hell, they're never seen in photos/tv wearing stuff they sell at their dash stores. They probably don't even wear their own perfume.
Plus, it's so obvious too that they don't wear what they put their name on.
I really want one of her beanie hats, but she doesn't seem to make em anymore :( and when she first started making purses, they were really great! I was even considering buying one. Now there doesn't really seem to be much to her line anymore. She was actually the only celebrity designer whose line i really liked, when it first came out. Very rocker chic.
I sold handbags for years and I totally forgot about her LAMB bags. I wanted the large clutch so bad with the Pan-African colouring, but it was gone before my measly paycheck could justify something so fun. But then a while later, her line was producing blatant knock offs of another designer and it stopped being that awesome. I still wish I had gotten that bag, skippers remorse.
LOL  this was a few years ago,  they were a great pair of shoes, but I have knee issues, and I knew I wouldn't have worn them. 
The store I was at didn't carry them, but would occasionally get a few returns and stuff them in the back. They were nice shoes, but from what I remember, they were also really tall.

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by Anneri
I'm quite disappointed with the level of creativity we get from mac lately. First the return of MM, and now FOUR Rihanna collections? Are the people at the creative department at Mac headquarters asleep? Did the whole department retire?! For me this shows a concentration on profit instead on the creative and edgy makeup Mac was famous for. Seems to me other brands are stepping up in that department - like illamasqua for example.

Well, it's about marketing. Gotta stay in business. Keep that bottom line up.
Extracted from the write-ups:
Four RiRi [Hearts] MAC collections in 2013, with a total of 31 units.
1. May 4th & 5th -- sold online and at Rihanna concerts -- 1 product only - MAC RiRi Woo lipstick – inspired by Ruby Woo only bluer.
2. summer -- sold on-line -- 5 products - RiRi Woo lipstick, two additional lipsticks, Lustre Drops, and a blush duo.
3. fall -- in stores -- 16 products - including RiRi Woo lipstick, additional lipsticks, RiRi Woo Lipglass, two eyeshadow palettes, and false lashes.
4. holidays -- in stores -- 10 products - including nail polish, makeup bag, RiRi Woo lipstick, and more lipsticks.

I will wait to see how they look. I look like Bozo the Clown crossed with a bag lady when i wear red lipstick, so i doubt RiRi Woo will work for me, but there are 30 other products...

I am, however, kicking myself for missing Prince in concert when he came through here in 2011. I know it won't happen, but i can imagine a Prince makeup collection...

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by sss215
Ugh side note, I can't stand celebrity created perfumes. UGH!!! The only exception to that for is Liz Taylor. She was the first one to do a celebrity created scent and she did it right!

Well, most of the time the celebrity doesn't create the perfume. The company may ask them what scents they like (vanilla! musk!) or what existing perfumes they like. And company may bring the final product to the celebrity for approval. But celebrities are not in there mixing the essences. There are professional "noses" for that.

And then there's the marketing. There is often something in the name and the packaging to make the potential purchasers think of the celeb. - although one of the J. Bieber scents has a bottle topper that looks way too much like a Marc Jacobs package.

Ultimately it's about the marketing. I'm on fragrance boards, and some great, complex, classic fragrances that have been around since close to 1920, for example, and survived because they are complex and classic are called "old lady" (the perfume is old, sure, but exactly what does an old lady smell like?), while the complainers extol simplistic celeb fragrances that are guaranteed to disappear when the celebs are no longer good for marketing.

Back in the way old days, a cosmetics company made around 5 or 7 shades of lipstick, and 3 of rouge (i.e., blush), and 5 shades of foundation (and forget about WoC). Even MAC has some classic lipstick colors that have been around a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.