MAC x Vera Neumann Discussion

LMD84

[h=1]Do not link photos or reviews to other discussion forums or blogs without my explicit permission! If you obtain permission to (re)publish content and/or information obtained from this resource, please link & credit appropriately.
heart.gif
Stealing and/or plagiarism isn't cool, the content author appreciates it!
[/h]

... and for taupe lovers, this is a dream come true. I
heart.gif
how elegant these colors come out on my complexion!
very beautiful shades! i am really looking forward to this collection :)

liba

Using the right tool and the proper technique are crucial. I find them very easy to apply with a synthetic paddle brush, especially as the crushed metals are slightly tacky (= less fall-out than a piggie that has a dry texture). Use a flat paddle brush to pad on a thin layer which can then be spread out will give you a very even result. Using this technique also allows the blend the different colors together and create a rainbow or ombre effect. It is important to remember that a little product goes a long way with the crushed metals.
It definitely takes experimentation with the brushes in your collection to find the best application technique for these.

Can't stress it enough to USE THE RIGHT BASE underneath. This makes a huge difference in the staying power and the creasing prevention. I find those dastardly Big Bounce shadows to be the best base by a long shot for 2 main reasons:

1) They form a dry, almost rubbery skin on top of your own, without any oily or emollient quality (unlike paint pots). This is perfect for accentuating the smooth, glass-like surface you can get with the crushed metals and greatly enhances staying power and crease prevention. Also the very fine mica sparkles in it create a subtle gritty surface that gives great gripping power for the glitter chunks as well as the smoother pigment particles so it cuts down on fall out.

2) They're sheer, so it enhances the full effect of CMP - which is that beautiful water ripple quality that looks translucent from one angle and then completely opaque with dense metallic color from another. I find paint pots and greasepaint sticks compete too much and ruin this effect pretty drastically - you just get a scaly look, unless you're using one of the very sheer p/ps. If you want an opaque color, you get a much better result using opaque eye shadow underneath and putting CMP on top. You can get some really cool duochrome effects this way.

Also, don't use Fix+ or just mist it on really lightly afterwards - it's exactly like mixing oil and water and causes creasing, fading, patchiness and/or scaly flakes that fall right off.

Short Version: Find a base or primer that makes a smooth, rubbery second skin - perhaps something with silicon, but not something too greasy or wet. Extra points for something with a bit of grit, sparkle or sheen to provide extra gripping power!

romi79_2008

^ they look lstunning, but my lids look creepy with that much shimmer. This is the reason that makes my stay away from most pigments.

gracie90

I'm thinking of getting 1 or both of the Pearlmattes, and the Aloha and Butterfly Party pigment stacks :D

lyseD

PrettyKitty which Pearlmatte did you get? I am NW20 and trying to decide which would be best for me.

Thank you.

I just got my order, I'm so glad I bought the Pearlmatte powder! It gives a very soft glow, just like the shaping powders!

And the Blue Petrol pearlglide eyeliner is very pretty, but I find that I need to apply a couple of layers if I want it to be opaque. Is it just me? Also, I asked yesterday if these are waterline safe, but after seeing how glittery it is, I wouldn't even think about using it on the waterline. lol

Babylard

Has anyone ever pressed the crushed metal pigments into a pan using alcohol? I do it with the normal pigments (non-matte) and it works fine, but I wonder if it works the same with these ones. I am really liking the butterfly stack, but I hate lose powder :<

PrettyKitty

If you have the other purple pearlglide I'm thinking of, that one is nicer than Designer Purple - more complex color. I wish I had it myself! Petrol Blue is very lovely. I don't own it, but the only reason for that is I only like blue pencil liner I can use in the waterline - somehow if I don't have the blue in the waterline as well as under the eye, it doesn't look quite right with my eye color/skin tone. I'm holding off for Hyacinth Eye Kohl coming up in Reel Sexy.
Ohhhhhh Hyacinth eye khol? I'm gonna check this one!! :)

My purple Pearlglide is Rave!

patentg33k

I wonder if I need both Pearlmatte powders--I'm pale NC15 and prefer cooler toned cheek products because my skin tone is warm. Any last-minute advice before I press "buy"---just Sunday Afternoon or why not add Flower Fantasy too? Any advice?

Mac-Guy

I wonder if I need both Pearlmatte powders--I'm pale NC15 and prefer cooler toned cheek products because my skin tone is warm. Any last-minute advice before I press "buy"---just Sunday Afternoon or why not add Flower Fantasy too? Any advice?

If you think you will regret it later if you skip FF now, I'd get it to be on the safe side. There is not doubt that these babies will sell out.

patentg33k

If you think you will regret it later if you skip FF now, I'd get it to be on the safe side. There is not doubt that these babies will sell out.

So true! I threw it into the cart--thank you!! (also thanks for your reviews of the powders on this thread--your descriptions are sooooo helpful!!) :)

martiangurll

[h=1]Do not link photos or reviews to other discussion forums or blogs without my explicit permission! If you obtain permission to (re)publish content and/or information obtained from this resource, please link & credit appropriately.
heart.gif
Stealing and/or plagiarism isn't cool, the content author appreciates it!
[/h]

... and for taupe lovers, this is a dream come true. I
heart.gif
how elegant these colors come out on my complexion!
Is that the "dirty cocoa brown" pigment from Aloha? Its' gorgeous.....

duckrodeo

I gave in and ordered both pearlmattes. The idea was nagging me and I didn't want to approach the site with a dreaded OOS for them. I like the appeal of a shimmerless glow.

liba

Ohhhhhh Hyacinth eye khol? I'm gonna check this one!! :)
My purple Pearlglide is Rave!
Rave! That's the name I was trying to remember. I missed out on that one - but hey, now that they're making these perm, maybe they'll repromote some of the others here and there to keep the interest up.

That whole Reel Sexy collection sounds fantastic - Hyacinth isn't going to be the only thing I get from it $$$.