magnets on depotted shadows- necessary?

invadersads

i read the little page on depotting, and i know it says that adding the magnet is an option. my question is, are they meant to have magnets added? do the pro pans have a magnet already attached (all i've ever owned were regular pots) or is the magnet just to keep them more stable? i'm just wondering if it's something that was meant to be done, or just a neat thing that someone thought would help hold them in place? i did a search but didn't really find anything specifically about this. tia

damsel

i believe the palette has a metal base and that is why you need a magnet on the back of the e/s

gigglegirl

pro palette refills already have a magnet on them

but when you depot you have to put a magnet on the back so that it doesn't fall out of the palette. unless you wanted to glue them in but thats not a good idea at all

hr44

Funny you posted this... I just placed magnets on the back of all my depotted shadows. The reason I did this is because it stays more stable and it's a big relief to do so. I didn't have magnets on them before in the palette and it was fine, they stayed in place but if you shook it you can hear them rattle.

It started to bug me so I went out bought the strips, cut, and stuck them to the pots and now no more rattling! I like the stability factor of it.

TDoll

If you depot shadows yourself, you need to put magnets on the back or else they will not stay in the palette. The palettes DO NOT have magnets in them. They simply have a metal, magnetic base. Otherwise, it would just be metal on metal.
I like the little thin round magnets you can find in the craft stores. They are exactly like the ones they put on the back of the MAC refill pans. They're hard to find though. Just make sure that whatever magnets you get, they are really thin.

invadersads

thanks everyone. i knew there was some sort of metal in the palette, for some reason i thought it was a magnet! i bought some magnet tape but i think its too thick so i'll probably be heading out tomorrow to buy something thinner. thanks again!

spectrolite

I went out and bought a large sheet of soft magnet that you can cut up from a craft store and it wasn't really that good..In fact it royally sucked. So I ended up just using some double sided tape to keep my shadows in. It's working out just fine so far!

Lizzie

If you don't want to get some magnets at craft stores you can always use those free magnets from business places (like pizza places) and cut them and glue them on to the pans. They're thin enough and best of all they're free!

xxManBeaterxx

Hey, half of my eyeshadows i have are self depotted, and since i was too lazy to make the magnets i just popped them in my 15 pan pallette no glue or tape necessary and never touched it since. I mean unless you drop it, they will all come falling out while open, but other than that they never fall out since its always on some kind of counter 24/7. And if you drop it while closed, the eyeshadows arent going to shuffle, its stays where it is in my experience.

If you carry it around in your purse in the smaller quad pallette then i would say you need the magnet in the back or it will spell for disaster.

Dianora

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxManBeaterxx
Hey, half of my eyeshadows i have are self depotted, and since i was too lazy to make the magnets i just popped them in my 15 pan pallette no glue or tape necessary and never touched it since.

Me too. I've had my un-magneted 15-pan palette for over two years now and I've never had an incident.

pratbc

I found thin magnet sheets in the craft section at Wal-Mart and cut them to fit the back of the pans. I have moved and travelled with my makeup sooo many times that, for me, its necessary for my "little babies" to be anchored in!
If you don't really plan on moving your palette around too much, I guess you don't really need the magnets. But, I still would not risk it.
HTH

Lucky13mjo

It does take extra time to add the magnets, but I personally think it's worth it. It's very convenient for travel (or taking your makeup to work everyday beacuse you too lazy to do it before you leave the house in the morning!). I have all of my shadows depoted and organized into several 15 pan palettes; I like the option to transfer a couple of colors to a 4 pan palette to take to work. Or, customizing a 15 pan palette to take on vacation w/o having to hual excessive amounts of stuff. It was a lot of work, but I actually get more use out of my colors now
smiles.gif

DixieHellcat

I did my first depot yesterday!
smiles.gif
Well, my first one that worked. I tried a second & the e/s broke.
ssad.gif
Anyway, I had a roll of magnet tape, that comes in a dispenser like regular tape & is already sticky on one side. Came from a craft store, but not sure where. I put a teeny piece of that on the back of the pan & it works great.

fidelistoh

the pro palette refills already have magnets on them!
You can glue it onto your palette if you don't intend to move the colours around.

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnn
Will it work if I put the magnet inside the pallet & then stick the pan in there? Like stila pallets?

In a word? No.

DirtyPlum

Ive depotted around 50 eyeshadows and havent used a single magent. The pans are quite sticky due to the glue used to stick the pans to the plastic. So mine have stuck down well. Even when I have had to move them about, I have used tweezers to slowly pry them up.

The pro pan you get are already magnetised (as is the actual palette) so extra magnets are not necessary IMO.

brownsuga lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPlum
Ive depotted around 50 eyeshadows and havent used a single magent. The pans are quite sticky due to the glue used to stick the pans to the plastic. So mine have stuck down well. Even when I have had to move them about, I have used tweezers to slowly pry them up.

The pro pan you get are already magnetised (as is the actual palette) so extra magnets are not necessary IMO.

Okay see...I thought I was the only one. I've depotted almost all of my eyeshadows (40+) and have never used a single magnet. My shadows don't raddle or move and its quite a pain to get them up if I want to move them myself. Once I depot the bottom of the eyeshadow pan is still sticky so I just place them down in my palette firmly and they don't budge at all. I've traveled with them and never had a problem.

Odette

To pro palettes are magnetized and pro pans have magnets on them;however, the depotted ones need a magnet on the base in order to stick to the palettes since, the pan itself is not magnetized.

TISH1124

If you depot....and put them immediately in the palette I have found you do not need magnets because the glue is still warm on the back and it sticks instantly...I do use magnets for the ones that I depot and fill at a later time because the glue has dried & there is nothing to adhere them to the palette. You can buy magnets actually off Ebay...Can't hardly get a counterfit magnet! They are so cheap on there..I bought a bag of 100 pre-cut magnets with labels for less than $10.00 HTH