Makeup books recommendations ...

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamaris
I just bought Rae Morris' "Makeup – the ultimate guide" and looked through it. It's hard for any makeup-book to include really new information to many of us, but I like the looks discussed (great photos!) because they are colorful and she uses interesting techniques
smiles.gif
. And it also has some nice (new) tips.

I agree! I just bought this last night. It's quite a refreshing addition to my makeup book collection
smiles.gif
The photoos are beautiful (and according to Morris, not retouched).

addictedtomac85

I was wondering if anyone has the book "Makeup Makeovers: Weddings: Stunning Looks for the Entire Bridal Party". And if they like it or not. I am getting married next summer and am thinking of buying it.

User49

I highly reccomend all of Kevyn Aucoin's books. Also I find the magazine "On Make Up Magazine" by the Powder group very interesting/on trend/current and an invaluable source of information! ;0) The Body Shop make up book didn't really do it for me as it was a little bit 'neat and tidy'. I like more outlandish make up and strong looks and I felt it was playing it on the safe side. I don't really rate Bobby Brow's beauty books either, I think they are a bit dated now. I wish Terry Barber would make a book!! ;0)

I also found this link to some great make up books while looking for a subscription to make up artist magazine...
Make-Up Books

xx

metal_romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtomac85
I was wondering if anyone has the book "Makeup Makeovers: Weddings: Stunning Looks for the Entire Bridal Party". And if they like it or not. I am getting married next summer and am thinking of buying it.

Congratulations!

I am hoping to buy it soon as I want to freelance. Do you have his other book, Makeup Makeovers? (I don't own it but have borrowed it from the library.) It's apparently a very similar book.

Reading through the reviews on amazon might help you decide (if you haven't already! I know you posted a few months ago):
Amazon.com: Makeup Makeovers: Weddings: Stunning Looks for the Entire Bridal Party: Robert Jones: Books

If I buy it soon, I'll let you all know what I think of it.

pink_reaper

Books?

I'm new here! I was wondering if anyone knew any great book recommendations for makeup? I am somewhat new to the online makeup community but have learned a TON from YouTube in the last six months and am interested in branching out more. I don't plan to be a makeup artist, I just have a real love for makeup! I am going to school in the fall to be a funeral director so I will use cosmetics in my job but in a different way!
winkiss.gif

dietcokeg

Re: Books?

I think the best book out there for makeup would be by kevyn aucoin titled 'Making Faces'

obscuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcokeg
I think the best book out there for makeup would be by kevyn aucoin titled 'Making Faces'

I second this.

Nepenthe

Co-signing on Making Faces.

Also.. Bobbi Brown's Makeup Manual is good. I also enjoy the visuals in Scott Barnes' About Face.

makeupbysarab

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_reaper
I'm new here! I was wondering if anyone knew any great book recommendations for makeup? I am somewhat new to the online makeup community but have learned a TON from YouTube in the last six months and am interested in branching out more. I don't plan to be a makeup artist, I just have a real love for makeup! I am going to school in the fall to be a funeral director so I will use cosmetics in my job but in a different way!
winkiss.gif

By Kevin Aucoin is also good Face Forward. I have the Making Faces and Face Forward and I love both of them.
thmbup.gif

BabyGirlB

I was wondering if anybody had read the professional make-up artist volume 1 by joe Blasco and Vincent Kehoe? I'm interested in buying it but see as it's so pricey I was wondering if it was worth it? If it most SFX or is there makeup related content in there as well. I did a search for reviews here on Spektra ans well as google but so far nothing. Sorry if I missed something!

tacobelle88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamaris
I just bought Rae Morris' "Makeup – the ultimate guide" and looked through it. It's hard for any makeup-book to include really new information to many of us, but I like the looks discussed (great photos!) because they are colorful and she uses interesting techniques
smiles.gif
. And it also has some nice (new) tips.

triple agreed, one of the better and current makeup books ive read
yes.gif

imthebeesknees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanza
I warmly recommend you the "Bobbi Brown Beauty" book, it is a staple in my makeup book collection! It's a 240 p. book full of useful tips & tricks, details on the skin & body basics, etc... It's a good reference book that you can keep going back to, I bought it 4 years ago and I'm re-reading it at the moment
smiles.gif

I swear by this book as well! It`s amaz`n.
smiles.gif

kimmae17

I would suggest any other Kevyn Aucoin book, or the Nars one, or bobbi brown. they are all great!

jazmatazz

Has anyone read Scott Barnes 'About Face' and recommend it?

I loooove makeup books. The transformations and photos are breathtaking.

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazmatazz
Has anyone read Scott Barnes 'About Face' and recommend it?

I loooove makeup books. The transformations and photos are breathtaking.

I have it. I like it, but he has a different technique from others I've read. He uses red & yellow to get that "glow" contour ppl know him for. It's advanced, is all. I love all the pics tho, so for that I'd recommend it.