Makeup books recommendations ...

Ode to Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazmatazz
Has anyone read Scott Barnes 'About Face' and recommend it?

Here's a short review that I think might be helpful:

Quote:
Scott Barnes - About Face Book Review

I purchased 'About Face' by Scott Barnes quite recently and after reading it, I realise that my way of applying make up is changing. The book is so influential, as it's well written and examples are demonstrated with perfect visuals. Scott Barnes has been make up artist to Jennifer Lopez over the years and is famous for making her 'glow'!

The 240 page book contains a variety of makeovers on various skin tones and facial features with step by step information and expert tips. Skin care has also not been missed, there is a nice section dedicated on the subject.

scott-barnes-about-face-1_JPG.jpg

Scott Barnes' approach to makeup is very different to the most make up artists. His emphasis is mainly on the skin, trying to bring light to the face. He firstly applies a lighter shade of concealer to highlight the face, he then contours with a darker shade, and finishes off with a foundation closer to the natural skin tone to neutralise the base. Yes, this kind of technique has been used by others, but not to this level of artistic creativity.

trans_edited-1.jpg

He uses yellow or red tones depending on the skin tone and what he wants to achieve.

trans2_edited-1.jpg

He recommends yellow based concealers for people with warm skin tones for women with dark or Mediterranean skin tones: Indian, Brazilian, African American, Hispanic, Italian or Greek.

014.JPG

The way he applies eye make up is also quite striking, he always applies the crease colour slightly above the crease.

This is a before and after of Sonia's eye, you can see what a difference it makes to the eye shape. It makes it seem less hooded and more sunken in.

sonia+eye.jpg

Nadiya's transformation...

010.JPG

Danielle's transformation...

For me, this is the most striking makeover as her face shape looks totally different.

Untitled-1.jpg

Obviously, it looks like a lot of make up, and I'm not sure what woman can commit to doing that everyday but, there are a few tips that can be picked up and manipulated to suit your needs.

The only downside to the book for me, is that he doesn't mention what brands or products he uses specifically for the makeover, he just talks about the colour. But, there is a snapshot of some products from his kit which I have included below.

003.JPG

(...)

Source: B U B B L E G A R M: Scott Barnes - About Face Book Review

jazmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektra513
I have it. I like it, but he has a different technique from others I've read. He uses red & yellow to get that "glow" contour ppl know him for. It's advanced, is all. I love all the pics tho, so for that I'd recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode to Joy
Here's a short review that I think might be helpful:

Thanks ladies! I'm definitely going to order the book now, sounds like something I will really like
smiles.gif