Makeup Books

..kels*

definitely any Kevyn Aucoin book that you can get ahold of - Making Faces & Face Forward.
A few others to check out:
5 Minute Face - Carmindy
Sephora The Ulitmate Guide To...
Makeup Your Mind - Francois Nars

****i just discovered a really AMAZING book that came out this year:
it's by Australian Makeup Artist, Rae Morris. she has won the "Australian Makeup Artist of the Year" award 4 times. her book is called Makeup The Ultimate Guide.

crissy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbentz21
I loved Face Forward by Kevyn Aucion.. anything he's touched actually is golden..

That's like the bible!!!

aeni

Corson, some different anatomy and sculpting books. My favorite though was yard sale finds of old makeup look-books.

dominicana90

I just bought the makeup artist handbook by gretchen davis and mindy hall. It has lighting and color stuff that I hfound realy helpful for photography. I agree on the Nars book. I looked through it once then I couldn't find it again. I'm going to try and order it online soon. I also checked out eye candy bylinda mason. I really like that the pictures are not photoshop. i want to get face foward too I hear alot of good things about it. i thought I had it but i have making faces

SwtSolace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbentz21
I loved Face Forward by Kevyn Aucion.. anything he's touched actually is golden..

So right about Face Forward... my bible though is "make up your mind" by Francois Nars.. This book is so priceless! I think you can find it at most Borders and Barnes & Nobles.. OMG
th_worship.gif
the book is unbelievable.. you just have to see it...

I also recommend IMAN's "The beauty of color" it help with a wider range of skin tones.. =D

uh_oh_disco

Make-up artistry by Julia Conway has been recommended to me many a time, my course tutors always put it in the "reasearch materials" sections of our assignment briefs too. It should be available in most large city libraries.

I've gotten a couple of makeup books and I've been disappointed because while they have pics of makeovers, they don't have any detail on the steps taken to achieve the look, or product recommendations. I'll definitely have to take a look at these and see if they help me.

hwilson18

Robert Jones is an author I've loved...I have the book Makeup Makeovers and its great...I was having a hard time finding good makeup books until this post (all the ones I can find are dated 1999 or before...which is really no help outside of basics).

GLAMORandGORE

ANYTHING by Kevyn Aucion is seriously AMAZING. so so so so soooooo helpful. also, ultiate makeovers by robert jones, and bobbi brown's new book..i forget what it's called >__< sorry!

metal_romantic

I love Eve Pearl's book, "Plastic Surgery Without the Surgery". It focuses on fixing "flaws" with makeup and the results are amazing! She's the artist from the Be-You_Tified episodes on youtube with "EnKore".
Robert Jones' book, "Makeup Makeovers" is also great. He has a bridal book too, which I am looking forward to checking out.

naijapretty

I have Kevyn aucoin's "making faces" and that is a great book, you really need to check out Way Bandy's "Designing your face". Its awesome, it was written in the 70's and there are no photos in it, only illustrations and concise instructions. The info in there is still used by the top MUAs today. Its also really cheap and you can get it on Amazon.

User38

Best books: Kevin Aucoyn Making Faces as well as his others.. also Way Bandy.. these guys were the masters!

mae13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAbY_cHiCkEn01
Second Rae Morris - Makeup, The Ultimate Guide. Its frickin' AWESOME!!!

I really liked the final shots and some of the advice in the book, but the 'progress' shots made me NUTS. The author is of the do-eyes-first-to-clean-up-fallout-before-base school of application, which is fine. But OMG, the pictures showed so much fallout it was like she was throwing the pigment at her models, like those painters that fling paint at a canvas. I don't know if it was a deliberate aesthetic choice to make the photos look more interesting, but the result was so distracting - I couldn't help thinking that no matter how pretty the final shot was, this artist was just inept.

metal_romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae13
I really liked the final shots and some of the advice in the book, but the 'progress' shots made me NUTS. The author is of the do-eyes-first-to-clean-up-fallout-before-base school of application, which is fine. But OMG, the pictures showed so much fallout it was like she was throwing the pigment at her models, like those painters that fling paint at a canvas. I don't know if it was a deliberate aesthetic choice to make the photos look more interesting, but the result was so distracting - I couldn't help thinking that no matter how pretty the final shot was, this artist was just inept.

I agree. I have the book, and while there is some really useful information in there, I found the book to be... so-so overall.