Makeup is killing my skin

Sushi.

So i have really bad skin, my face is constantly broke out, but i finally found a solution, skinlogics treatment, (even proactiv did'nt work for me) so i finally got the courage to start wearing my makeup again (yes ive been hiding in my house without foundation on for quite awhile) i wore foundation 3 days in a row, (quite happy cause i found an amazing one meant for dry skin) while i was still doing my skinlogics treatment twice a day (cleanser, toner and medicated moisturizer) and now once again my face has completely broke out. It seems like i cant wear makeup without it breaking out now. Is it hopeless? and I know some people say well if you let your face clear you wont need to wear foundation, but i really do need to cause i have ALOT of scars from the acne and its horirbly red in spots and just looks plain bad.

One thing i know will help is getting a foundation brush, currently i use sponges and ive heard thats a big no no, so i will be buying one very soon. But will it make that big of a difference to clear my skin?

MACATTAK

Have you ever tried mineral makeup? I have acne-prone skin too, and mineral makeup used with a kabuki brush has definitely helped a lot. Sponges do carry a lot of bacteria, so I only use brushes.

Kalico

I second the mineral make-up. Maybe it's just the foundation that you're using right now.

Sushi.

Well i bought some "mineral makeup" (the " are in place cause who knows what your getting when you buy off of ebay) off of ebay and it was really bad, just looked really dusty on my face and nasty all together lol. It makes me sad to think that its possibly the specific foundation doing it cause i finally found one i like!

Maybe on top of cleansing my face twice a day if i used a facial scrub as well. I have a scrub but was told it was only needed twice a week, but i could try doing it everyday for awhile and see what happens. If it does'nt work i will probably have to do as you ladies have advised me and find a new foundation.

mae13

Don't scrub your skin every day - that's way too abrasive, especially if your skin is already breaking out.

The thing with mineral make-up is that it takes some practice to apply it. It's really easy to over-apply if you don't have the right technique, and you end up looking like you've dipped your face in flour. You swirl your brush in a small amount, tap it back and then buff lightly onto the skin, repeating as needed. Unless you're allergic to one of the ingredients, MMU is the best thing for very reactive skin, as there is a lot less in there that could make your skin go haywire (no emollients or fillers).

MACATTAK

Don't give up on mineral makeup! Like the above said, it's all about your technique. Use a primer, use the above technique, and finish with Fix+. This will really help with the powdery look.

Hikaru-chan

First of all do not scrub your face everyday, it will cause your skin to produce more oil which could lead to more breakouts.
In fact I would reccomend you only use an abrasive scrub once a week.
Clarins Gentle Exfoliating Refiner is awsome, for something a little bit more intensive you could go for a Microdermabrasion scrub.

I used to have awful skin, constantly broken out but flaky in certain areas and I had dreadful scar tissue on my cheekbones, my skin now looks almost perfect and I credit that to using a gentle routine as opposed to what I was using before.

A lot of people will use acne clearing products which will dry out your skin even more, make you produce more oil, which will then make you use even more drying product to get it in control.

Cleanse your skin with a gentle wash like Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser for dry and sensitive skin.
Follow with a toner as it restores your PH balance immidiately I use Origins United State.
Moisturise even if you have super oily skin, it's important but make sure you use one for your skintype, I love Clarins Hydra Matte lotion, Origins Have a Nice Day lotion and if my skin is going trough a dry spell I'll use MAC Moisturelush cream.

For my nightime routine I use a glycolic based product because what this will do is exfoliate chemically and gently. Alpha H make this liquid lotion called Liquid Harmony that you put on at night and it's a miracle product, you will wake up with the most wonderful glowing skin. I use that 3 times a week and on the other nights I will use Origins Nightamins.

Make-up wise you can't go wrong with Chanel foundation, I know it's expensive but I've never broken out while using it, I've never broken out with mineral make up either but it makes me itch and I find it doesn't look as natural as liquid.

adela88

you could try using a treatment foundation,i know la mer does one and i think skII does too(they might be more gentle on the skin).chanel foundation has never broken me out but atm im using a tinted balm by bobbi brown and it hasnt either.

i find that teatree oil clears up the redness left on my face (you have to dilute it though otherwise it burns real bad)

as hikaru-chan said, dont use those generic drug store achne clearing things (clean and clear..ect) most of them contain alot of alcahol which is bad for your skin long term too

elegant-one

I switched to all Chanel except for my mineral mu & mac color. Chanel is expensive, but it also last for a long time - large containers. At this point in my life, i don't care how expensive it is as long as it WORKS!

Since I switched to Chanel's Purifying line...i don't hardly ever get a breakout!

athena123

Mineral makeup is one of the best things I've ever done for my skin; at least I know makeup is no longer a contributing factor to clogged pores. I agree it can be tricky and look dry. Be sure to moisturize before MMU - if you're oily and acne prone, try a very light oil like camellia or jojoba oil and let it penetrate for 5 minutes before applying MMU.

And yes, get 2 brushes for MMU application so you can clean it right after using it and allow it to dry while you're using your backup. This is really critical if you have any open breakouts. The last thing you need is to move bacteria all over your face.

After applying MMU, mist your face very lightly with a hydrosol or gentle toner. I use chamomile hydrosol. This "sets" powdered MMU and makes your skin look more dewey without going shiny.

I had to try a few different shades of mineral makeup from a couple different companies before I found my perfect match. The search is well worth it.

During the winter, my skin gets more dry and combo now. No matter what I do, powdered MMU looks cakey so I use liquid mineral makeup that has a ton of fantastic, beneficial ingredients in it that won't cause any additional harm. Coverage is sheer, however, but I can use powdered MMU as a spot concealer. There is tons of information on the Mineral Makeup board where you're certain to get a lot of great advice.

Good luck,

Athena

magg0rz

I noticed a few posters mentioned cleaning your makeup brushes. It's a super important step. I have breakouts, but I feel that they'd be more often if I didn't clean my brushes every couple of days. Just remember that you have to be patient when trying something new. Dermatologists recommend giving treatments 6 weeks to work. If you're trying something new, it's more likely than not that new pimples will form because your skin is getting used to whatever you're putting on it.

aimerbijoux

this post is really helpful to me now... since I think its makeup that is also breaking me out really badly. I use MAC and i'm thinking of making the switch to Bare Escentuals. I haven't worn make up in the past few days and I haven't gotten a new zit yet so i'm thinking makeup is the cause. However if my skin still breaks out with MMU then I guess it has to do with other things, like something internal right?

3jane

My sister had a similar problem... she switched to Physician's Formula mineral makeup-- the kind that's pressed in a compact, and her skin is tons better for it. So that's an option if you want to start off w/ something cheaper, and it's available practically everywhere.

Kayteuk

Try using studio Moisture fix and then putting on Prep n Prime skin! I dot hat and it seems to stop any problems caused by makeup!

MzzRach

I totally agree with using mineral makeup - it can be a godsend for skin that is sensitive and/or acne-prone. There are so many available now, try some samples and see what works best for you.

You have already received some great recs - good luck! I know how stressful skin issues can be. *hugs*

xxManBeaterxx

For mineral makeup reccomendations i would try Everyday minerals or Alima, they both have websites, just search for their name on google
smiles.gif
Decent prices, and great quality, with excellent coverage

aleksis210

Def. switch to Mineral Makeup ....'Crow Cosmetics' is the one I use and it is seriously making my skin better and better everyday that I wear it. Unfortunately it is local and the lady who makes it (by hand) has yet to put up a website
ssad.gif

Ruby_Woo

Its weird because actually women who wear makeup have better skin then women who don't. They have that layer of protection from the pollution and free radicals in the air.

Make sure that you are washing your brushes (as mentioned) also completly remove your makeup w/ an adequate makeup remover. I know some women use cream or lotion but that contains mineral oil and that will clog your pores.

Constantly wash/ sanitize your hands because if you don't, sometimes you'll rub your face or something and all those germs are what cause breakouts.

HTH.

Simply Elegant

If your wear lots of product in your hair that could be it too and if you don't wash it out at night it could be getting on your pillowcase and all over your face.

I'd also suggest checking out this list to see if any of these ingredients are in the foundations/powders you use. It lists a bunch of acne causing ingredients and how likely they are to clog your pores.
Become an Acne Detective

It might just be that you touch your face a lot without realizing it too.

I'd suggest going to the doctor and getting a prescription topical cream and then get a good moisturizer and use it day and night and a very gentle cleanser.