MakeUpAlley Boards...

SUMM3RxBABii

Wow, so I'm really glad Specktra is full of nice & understanding people but I was literally just insulted on the MUA boards for "believing" that my friend's MAC brush from the flea market was real and they were all being stuck-up with their wise-ass attitudes. I'm no expert at MAC everything but I felt it was unjustified. One of them even asked "Are You that stupid?"

Someone must be having their period today...
th_LMAO.gif

malvales

I am also on MUA but sometimes i found some people are snob ass with tons of strict swap rules and militant attitude. Also many times i found people with zero feedback stating they won't send their stuff first under any circumstances just because they have 1 LE item from MAC. Gimme a break.

vintageroses

haha i agreeeee! I haven't been there in ages! & everyone here is just so much nicer! It just feels more like place i wanna be in & will be able to make more friends
smiles.gif

abbyquack

MUA is definitely weird. I just use it for feedback when I sell on LJ, and I like that they have pretty comprehensive product reviews. But I love Specktra b/c everyone is so nice and welcoming.

I like Specktra a lot, there ain't all that drama and cyber bullying
I like how everyone is so friendly and takes the time out to show you around with tricks and tips =)

panda0410

I don't mind MUA, but it takes a bit of getting used to
winks.gif
Most of the people there are lovely, well at least IMO, and I swap there reasonably frequently. Choosing your swap partner is really important, but I don't post on the boards there often at all, I don't really have the time for another discussion group. But if you are sensible and careful on the swap list you'll find just as many wonderful, kind, and beautiful people there as here - I know I have
heart.gif

Temptasia

i only go there for specific product reviews...because the the design and navigation of their forum angers me.

Specktra on the other hand...
bigheart.gif

Nicala

Yeah the threads on MUA have an odd layout. I rarely post on there and only read it for reviews on products. I'm not much of a forum person, but Specktra is the only one I really hop on.
smiles.gif

Sojourner

Yep, I agree, the MUA boards are full of nasty people. There are a few nice ones but there is way too much meanness there generally.

I'm afraid I always see racist/sexist and generally prejudiced comments there, particularly in the cafe board. I only occasionally swap, where I have had good experiences but I've weaned myself off the boards. Especially since I found out about a horrible site called Beauty Bash - this site was set up by MUAers to talk about other members of MUA, someone told me about it and I checked it out once (I don't recommend that you do this) and it left me traumatised...it's full of vile hateful people, racism, misogyny etc. and they post member pictures from MUA and take the p*ss out of them, the way they look and so on. So more often than not, when you come across someone vile on MUA, they are probably also a member of Beauty Bash...it's so pathetic and cowardly. It's really just put me right off MUA, only the reviews section is invaluable to me.

The people here on Specktra are so much kinder, educated (I don't mean literally) and tolerant. It's a world of difference, I'm so glad to have stumbled across it - I just worry that it won't last! All good things sadly do seem to come to an end...

...but meanwhile, thank you to all the lovely women on here
smiles.gif

Boasorte

I honestly feel that the people on MUA are dumb as hell.

The swapping is even worse. Just the other day I saw someone put on Viva Glam GaGa for swap, saying she will only swap it for a HTF MAC item. I couldn't help myself, I had to message her to tell her that those l.s are available for a year, and that's not how MUA really works, she surely tried to "school" me. SMH

panda0410

^^Speak for yourself thank-you kindly.

I don't know, MUA is a bit tougher crowd, but the people there are really just as pleasant. Maybe the forums there aren't as well moderated here, tongues get wagging a tad more than usual at times, but you don't have immerse yourself in anything you don't wish to. Its like anything else, there are always aspects of any forum that can be displeasing, but I don't mind the people there, the swapping community for the most part is beautiful, a few people there to throw a spanner in the works, but that's life - it happens everywhere.

Sojourner - never been to BB, never intend to either. But again, its a choice, and there are thousands of members on MUA, they aren't all BB members.

I'm surprised to see such an awful stereotype of MUA members, my experiences have been really, really good. Most of the people are just as nice as specktra members!

lenchen

My first swapping experience at MUA wasn't very pleasant. A few members on there thought what happened to me was funny; I find that people tend to be rude to newbies, and they should make them feel welcomed instead of the "figure it out yourself" attitude. Here at specktra, everyone was really nice and welcoming, Plus the forums on specktra are so much easier to navigate. I've read the commentary on the boards at MUA a few times and it can definitely get rude and nasty in there so, I just don't participate in them, the cliques, and the rudeness on there can get annoying but I guess that's everywhere. There were some nice members on there, but the not so nice ones just take away the fun from it. With that being said, I do enjoy reading and sharing my reviews, with others on MUA and finding that HTF item in an occasional swap.

obscuria

I don't like the format of their forums, so I generally avoid it. But I do go there from time to time to peruse topics. In general, I think most people are fine, but there are some that can get a little catty and are not exactly helpful or nice in the way they speak to others. That's just something that comes with the anonymity of the internet though and perhaps the forums are not moderated as well as here, so people feel that they can get away with it there.

I've seen a girl post a haul on here and there and while everyone here was nice in their responses, on MUA things took a turn for the very very ugly.

I personally just stick to specktra, as I find in general the atmosphere here is more productive than there. The reviews are helpful, but that's about it.

cupcake_x

I agree with everyone else.. Specktra has a great, welcoming community and I have talked with so many wonderful people because of it. In addition, it's clean and laid out. MakeupAlley 's forum is incredibly fluttered and not attractive at all.

kaliraksha

I've perused MUA forums but I just didn't get the right vibe for me to feel like a part of it. I do head over there for a quick consensus of reviews sometimes. Honestly, I can't get over how friendly and civil everyone is on Specktra, so I choose to spend my time on this online community over others because I just have a more enjoyable experience no matter the subject.

Shadowy Lady

I joined both Specktra and MUA about the same time (Feb 2008). I obviously post on here much more than on MUA. I do prefer Specktra by far but MUA has its own uses. I personally have had great swapping experience and ppl have always been helpful to me on their boards, even when I was new.

I really think it depends on your indicidual experience with each community. Mine is positive at both Specktra and MUA.

User38

I never swap so this feature is not of any importance to me.

Spectra is by far the most informative place for swatches and info -- I love it for this.

MUA is good for reviews only -- many times there are products reviewed and no pics -- if it's a color product you are a gonner.

I love Spectra -- and I like MUA
smiles.gif

Simply Elegant

MUA is really not that bad IMO. I think it really depends which board you visit. Each section has their regulars and just about all are nice.

RedRibbon

I'm a member of both and I like Specktra more because it's easier to navigate around and the "boards" on MUA confuse me, I always think the links have more info when you click on them but that's not the case.

I haven't had any personal interaction with people on MUA like I have had on here so I can't judge what the people are like but some of the threads are a bit mean, there was one about who the most overrated beauty guru on youtube was and some of the comments just smacked of jealousy and people were being rude when they didn't need to be..

I like Specktra better because I find the reviews and swatches are VERY useful, however when I want a "mass" decision on something I read MUA because it is easier to see whether more people like it or not..if that makes sense? So I check Specktra first for swatches and what have you and then I got MUA to see how people have gotten on with it.