MakeUpAlley Boards...

marquise

I've been a member of MUA for much longer than Specktra but I never used the boards there. I find it excellent for reviews and I have swapped a couple of things but I really don't like the format of the boards over there.

Kragey

Let's be honest here: all forums have snotty people on them or people we don't mesh with me. Yeah, MUA is guilty, but so is Specktra.

Now, that being said.

What annoys me on MUA reguarly is that there seems to be this idea that if you don't walk around with a full face of makeup every day, there's something wrong with you. Today somebody actually made a comment to the effect of, "I just don't understand how you could NOT like makeup!" It's like, "Um, everybody likes different things, and even if you like it your world doesn't have to revolve around it?" Then there's another post where people are amazed that some women don't wear blush. Are these posters not aware of skin conditions that make the skin really red or sensitive, or are they just unaware that--once again--everybody likes different things?

SUMM3RxBABii

Wow, thank you all for your supportive comments! Some people on MUA are just so nasty, in ways I could never imagine, but I'm not saying all the people there are like that. I have met some real genuine people who have actually took the time to show me a tutorial and chat. but as far as swapping goes, it's okay. Some people I've swapped/invoiced with were flaky and "cheap". I don't understand! And some snotty member was arguing with me like how I was a drama queen for defending myself against those people, blah ,blah, blah, all these things against me. I bet they're a whole different person off the net.

and I've never heard of beautybash before..I mean, I think I did hear about sister-site of MUA before but I didn't think it could be that nasty. Seriously....all that effort to make a site just to bash people? Like, some of these women are in like their 30s, 40s and most teenagers and kids even know better. I really wished I've joined Specktra before MUA, because I hate the messaging there...people can say whatever they want and get away with it. Here, at least there's control. I remember a 12-year-old girl showing her FOTD there and she was getting these vile comments from much older adults, saying how she was ugly and this and that. I mean, are they for real? But MUA is only reliable for product reviews and swaps, but home is here
smiles.gif

meagannn

I have been a member of MUA for almost 10 years and been active on their boards on and off over alot of that time... but I because of some really FREAKY people, I quit going all together. I use it for product reviews now, and don't even go check the boards, even though i have some very very dear people to me there.
I didn't even share much personal information about myself, and my profile had my name and my last initial... and my state, Texas, which is pretty huge, and I assumed there were TONS of Meagan's here... I guess someone from BB decided it was my time to get bashed (not sure if they had done it before) but they posted my address ( i had never swapped through there so they had to have gone spying somehow) some mean things about 'my fat @ss' and found me on facebook sending me messages, and calling my work and just being really mean. I have NEVER done anything mean to ANYBODY there, and was always super nice and friendly. but i was active on the family board and I guess it was just my time to get effed with.
It freaked me out so bad- I am hesitant to admit they scared me because I am so paranoid that they might even be lurking here seeing me post. =(
especially since I never said where i lived or anything, Just that I lived in Texas - that I have been very leary to even get involved here =( even though I really want a new place to post!! and I love specktra to death and have lurked here for so long that I feel like I know alot of you!
Its so sad!!
=(
It just goes to show you that anyone on the net can be a creeper, and to be careful when sharing ANY personal information. =(

lenchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagannn
I have been a member of MUA for almost 10 years and been active on their boards on and off over alot of that time... but I because of some really FREAKY people, I quit going all together. I use it for product reviews now, and don't even go check the boards, even though i have some very very dear people to me there.
I didn't even share much personal information about myself, and my profile had my name and my last initial... and my state, Texas, which is pretty huge, and I assumed there were TONS of Meagan's here... I guess someone from BB decided it was my time to get bashed (not sure if they had done it before) but they posted my address ( i had never swapped through there so they had to have gone spying somehow) some mean things about 'my fat @ss' and found me on facebook sending me messages, and calling my work and just being really mean. I have NEVER done anything mean to ANYBODY there, and was always super nice and friendly. but i was active on the family board and I guess it was just my time to get effed with.
It freaked me out so bad- I am hesitant to admit they scared me because I am so paranoid that they might even be lurking here seeing me post. =(
especially since I never said where i lived or anything, Just that I lived in Texas - that I have been very leary to even get involved here =( even though I really want a new place to post!! and I love specktra to death and have lurked here for so long that I feel like I know alot of you!
Its so sad!!
=(
It just goes to show you that anyone on the net can be a creeper, and to be careful when sharing ANY personal information. =(

wow, that's crazy!

meagannn

its so creepy, scary, and that happened to ALOT of people. It happened to two or three of my close buddies on there and they deleted their accounts, never to be heard from again.
ssad.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenchen
wow, that's crazy!

hawaii02

I don't post on MUA, only browse around for product reviews. I'd rather get helpful feedback and swatches from here, than to put up with others' dislike for each other there.

Kragey

Quote:
its so creepy, scary, and that happened to ALOT of people. It happened to two or three of my close buddies on there and they deleted their accounts, never to be heard from again.
ssad.gif

Part of it may be the fact that swapping requires you to give out your address. Eek.

user79

I looooove the Nail forum there, super informative and up to date on upcoming collections, someone always has preview pics of not yet released collections. People there are hardcore into their polish and they are very friendly.

The other boards, especially the makeup board, are so catty. There's pretty much a thread there daily trashing someone or something.

I like the Product Reviews and Gallery too.

meagannn

I agree with you 100%! For me, personally, it had been about 7 years since i had swapped with anybody there!

It just goes to show you that even though you feel comfortable someplace online, there are still weirdos around. You never ever know who is watching! Its so big-brother-creepy-esque! *shudders*

You guys are so friendly here. I am thankful for that!
<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragey
Part of it may be the fact that swapping requires you to give out your address. Eek.

BEA2LS

i have been a member of both for about the same time.. maybe MUA longer.. i love MUA, but i use them mainly for product reviews.. i love to research before i buy and they are spot on for that.
i never bothered with their boards because the format drives me crazy and i am happy here so i guess i never ventured out.
but i think both places serve their purposes.

Senoj

Sorry for the negative experience. I used to post on Makeup Alley but only to ask questions. I like Specktra better because of the layout is easier and more informative. Some of the answers I got on Makeup Alley were vague. I mostly go on Makeup Alley to enter purchases in to the makeup diary on there.

iaisha26

There's nasty people everywhere, including this site as well. Once someone yelled at someone for not using the search function, I felt the need to jump in because what the member said to the other was out of line. Don't take offense to the nasty things said by nasty people. I truly believe ugly people do ugly things...its all they know. Lol

I'm on both Specktra & MUA. I love to talk makeup here; I use MUA for product reviews and swapping, I don't post on the boards becuase its not user friendly to me (the layout).

Sojourner

Quote:
I agree with you 100%! For me, personally, it had been about 7 years since i had swapped with anybody there!

It just goes to show you that even though you feel comfortable someplace online, there are still weirdos around. You never ever know who is watching! Its so big-brother-creepy-esque! *shudders*

<3

I'm so sorry that happened to you meagannn.

I've heard about peoples addresses being posted and stuff (people who don't swap), it's just too much, makes you crazy scared to give any info about yourself...that's why I wouldn't post any pics of myself anywhere and now I'm hyper-weary of swapping too.

I really am saddened by human beings that do these things, if you want to hate, fine, but posting addresses calling people etc, it's straight up psycho...honestly those people are guilty of harassment or stalking or something.

At some point I thought I shouldn't even discuss this for fear of becoming a target but obviously that's what these bullies depend on and I want my fellow Specktra members to be careful and cautious when using MUA (and any other social site for that matter).

xFlossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragey
Then there's another post where people are amazed that some women don't wear blush. Are these posters not aware of skin conditions that make the skin really red or sensitive, or are they just unaware that--once again--everybody likes different things?

Yeah I saw that post and what was said made my jaw drop at the total ignorance of those People. *SMH*

The MUA Forum itself does my Head in so I tend to avoid it all together. I usually only go there to swap, or read reviews of things I am lemming.

Specktra on the other hand, has become my fave Beauty Forum. You lot made me feel welcome from my first post and have been so helpful with all my questions, so thanks to everyone
smiles.gif