Matte Eyeshadows

kayluv

I noticed that alot of folks do not use matte eyeshadows or if they do, it is rare. Is there a particular reason?

BinkysBaby

I find them extremely difficult to blend and they look dry and chalky. I mostly use mattes to define my crease (when I use them).

MAC_Pixie04

I love matte shadows. I think they give depth and sophistication to a look. If I'm doing an eye, I use at least one matte shadow, if not more, because too much shimmer just looks really flat and there's no texture to it. Shimmer shadows are pretty, but I think matte shadows are gorgeous because they're so unexpected. I think a lot of people find them to be hard to blend and that's why they're not as common as shimmery colors, but i think they're the smoothest to blend and when there's fall out, it's not as easily detected unless it's a darker color.

Love Always Ivy

i like matte shadows because sometimes its just not appropriate to be all glittery and shimmery like a disco ball in the workplace.

kayluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
i like matte shadows because sometimes its just not appropriate to be all glittery and shimmery like a disco ball in the workplace.

I agree that glitter and shimmer can be overkill in the workplace. I hardly ever see any tutorials featuring just matte shadows. I have a few matte shadows but I use them to accent only. I like matte colors but I have to learn how to blend them correctly.

yummy411

i love matte shadows and second many of the opinions macpixie gave. i think when you see colors in the pot, matte shadows don't jump out at you like shinier ones (not as attractive).. imo, the color payoff of many mac matte shadows can be seen better than sparkly ones, especially in pics.

vica

i love matte shadows cuz when theyre blended properly, it looks really soft and pretty.. too much shimmer isnt that flattering on my oily skin

madamepink78

Many are afraid to use them because of blending isssues....I say practice makes perfect...just keep using until you get it right...I so love matte shadows because they do balance out the shimmery ones...

MACa6325xi

I really love matte shadows. I've mentioned in another post that I'm waiting for Matte2 to come out in September. I also like some shimmer and I frequently mix matte with shimmer. I do have days where I wear all matte shadows and blushes. I do have oily skin and matte can work better for me.

aziajs

I agee with the above posters. Mattes can be harder to blend, which turns people off. I also think they don't have the same "wow" factor that alot of frosted/sparkling shadows have. But, matte shadows do add dimension to eyeshadow combos and are great because they can give you a very refined and dignified look. The othre thing is that alot of MAC mattes are kinda boring. Most of them are neutrals and not bold colors. Makeup Forever has some incredible mattes. They have one that look like a matte version of Stars N' Rockets (to me). It's beautiful.

LatinaRose

I love matte eyeshadows. I second the rec for MUFE, they have beautiful matte shadows. They are harder to blend, but I feel they give a more sophisticated look.

Here's a pic of my MUFE quad:

makeup55.jpg

frocher

I think that mattes, if applied properly, can produce a more sophisticated and beautiful result than a shimmery look. They can be hard to apply. BB makes some buttery textured mattes, that are pretty user friendly.

silverbelle282

i only have a few matte shadows- rule, nehru, mink pink, and showstopper (from the smokin eyes quad) and i actually use them all the time, paired with other frosty/shimmered shadows and i love the look. like rule and paradisco. i cannot wait for matte2 to come out!!!
eyelove.gif
eyelove.gif
eyelove.gif

lilchocolatema

I wear Swiss Chocolate every day in my crease! Matte squared is going to be an awesome collection for us matte lovers! The colors are perfect, and we are all going to need some empty quads or a whole new 15 palette. I plan to buy each of them!!

mello

I only ever use mattes in my crease. I think I might buy a few more neutral mattes from MAC soon so I can experiment with them, as I agree that they look much more sophisticated than the shimmery or frosted shadows.

Twinkle_Twinkle

You can get MUFE shadows in a quad?!?!?! Where? How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaRose
I love matte eyeshadows. I second the rec for MUFE, they have beautiful matte shadows. They are harder to blend, but I feel they give a more sophisticated look.

Here's a pic of my MUFE quad:

makeup55.jpg

IvyTrini

I don't use matte shadows only because I don't like the texture. Some of MAC's colours actually get hard and have to be scraped out of the pot. Then it ends up being too chalky. But I just went to the MAC Pro store and swatched some of the new colours in PRO line and THEY ARE AMAZING! They colours are intense and heavily pigmented and best of all they are butter smooth! They literally melt on the skin. The texture is completely different. I can't wait for the new matte colours to come out in the regular stores.

Latest posts