Milia

Hawkeye

the best thing thats ever helped me is to stop putting stuff under my eye in general. :/ not much help I know
ssad.gif

talk2mesun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
the best thing thats ever helped me is to stop putting stuff under my eye in general. :/ not much help I know
ssad.gif

see thats the weird part for me, the ones i get on my upper cheeks will go away with time and are usually flat/not so raised so makeup can cover. however, i have this one on the ioutside of my nose, at the bridge, on the side so its near the inner corner of my left eye thats very noticeable and i never put makeup there, its probably the only place on my face that doesnt get any products on it because of the odd location. gah, just my luck ,lol

xbeatofangelx

Heh heh heh... I get them occassionally too, I just didn't know what they were called! what about a facial, and getting them extracted by hand?

lara

Your local GP can extract them, especially those inside the orbital arc. Don't do it yourself, and I'd be wary of letting a beautician extract too close to the eye.

Heavy eye creams are a prime culprit when it comes to milia, but they can also be genetic or just a totally random thing. They're not harmful, just irritating.

eastsidesunset

Milia are evil. It's basically a pore that doesn't exfoilate properly and gets clogged with stuff. They best way to get rid of them is 1. gently exfoliate 2. see a derm for an extraction and 3. get a script for differin, which speeds up the exfoliation process. I get them all the time, and they suck. The best you can do is get yourself to a derm, but for extractions they usually have to be big enough, so if they aren't the derm will tell you to leave it be and come back.

alaylam

I've heard of people with milia on their cheeks/chin that have had success using the "asprin mask". I don't know how helpful it would be to you though, seeing as yours are around your eye area. I wouldn't want to get aspirin in my eyes!! ouch.

NikkiHorror

I have a bunch too!
ssad.gif
When I was younger, I used to slather moisturizer all over my face, including under my eyes, and I guess it was just too thick n' rich for the delicate skin under my eyes. But now the damn things won't go away even though I've been so careful to avoid putting moisturizer under there! I have a few good eye creams now, but they don't get rid of the little bumps, and I'm wondering if they are making it worse.

(Milia are little pockets of protein and dead skin that have closed over themselves and become hard as rocks. As far as I know, those little bumps are trapped under the skin. So, to get them out, you’ll need to have a professional like a dermatologist or aesthetician extract them. You can do it yourself, but I wouldn't suggest it because it can result in scarring.)

*_*

I just read this as Milka .... I guess I need to go to bed...

MUST ... EAT ... CHOCOLATE ...ZzZzZzZzZzZz

girlsaidwhat

Not only do I have them under my eye...but I also get them on my /lips/. Mostly my top one. I'll be watching this thread and hoping someone has some answers, other than having them extracted. It's hard to believe there isn't /some/ kind of product out there for them.

frocher

^^ Alphahydroxy acids will help, but I don't think those would be safe to use around your eye and mouth. They are great for the milia on the arms. Perhaps you could speak to your dermatologist, they could prescribe a cream that would be eye and lip safe.

Dani

I had one under my eye from when I was 7 till about when I was 13.
The only reason it went away was..erm..well my ignorant 13 year old self...popped it..and it bled so then i put lemon juice on it (i was 13!! lol) and now it's gone. Hurt for awhile after that though lol.

jilliandanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by *_*
I just read this as Milka .... I guess I need to go to bed...

MUST ... EAT ... CHOCOLATE ...ZzZzZzZzZzZz

That's funny! I just tried Milka..my parents brought some back from Spain...SOOOO GOOOOODDD!

Anyway, back to Milia haha...I have them and I hate them. It seems that no matter what I do, they'll come back time and time again. I think for me its genetic or product use but I manage. I get them under my eyes and on my cheeks. My sister used to do accounting/insurance for a Derm in Beverly Hills so I used to go in and they'd work on me. For the bigger ones they would use a lancet and extract them out, on the smaller ones they'd do electro-something to burn it off. Then they'd do a peel or microderm. Painful and I'd look ugly for weeks but they'd all go away for like 6-7 months. She doesn't work for them anymore but I still go in once in a while. To help keep the icky Milias at bay, I do my best to use oil-free, silicone-free products. I exfoliate with an aspirin scrub and follow with an aspirin mask or a sulfur/mint mask. I don't think they'll ever go away permanently for me, but I'm managing and have come to accept it haha.

girlsaidwhat

Last night, I tried the now-infamous-on-specktra aspirin mask (8-10 uncoated aspirin in enough water to dissolve them, and then spread it and wait 20 minutes or so). This morning I definitely had LESS milia under my eyes. I was /really/ surprised at how much better it was.

I'm going to do it once or twice a week and see if they all go away.

user79

The aspirin mask has helped to reduce the creation of new milia around my eyes, but it doesn't get rid of the ones I already have. I've extracted a few myself using a disinfected needle but it's an irritating process and wouldn't recommend it on really deep ones or if you scar easily. I know that a dermatologist should be able to extract them professionally, but I just don't have the money for that every time I get some.

Basically it's caused by not enough exfoliation and use of heavy creams, so try to avoid putting cream around the area where you get it, and exfoliate regularly.

I hate them too. They make my makeup uneven around my eyes.

xsnowwhite

are these raised white bumps? i have one right by my nose sort of so when i wear sunglasses it hurts
ssad.gif
idk what it is though. guess i should see a derm pretty soon.

Sar

Ok this could be old but I learnt how to do extractions of milia in college...Its really not hard.

Milia is a build up of oil, but your pore isnt big enough for it to get out so it forms into a little ball of oil under the skin.

You cant extract new ones though otherwise it will bleed and hurrrtt so you have to wait a little while for it to soften.

Make sure all your skin is clear..cleansing twice would be gould enough...then exfoiliate. Get a sterilised needle, be carefull though it is not a difficult thing to do..you have to open the pore a little to get the oil ball out so use the needle on top of the milia an then squeeze with a tissue!
...it will come out in the form of a little yellow ball aswel. Its not dangerous atall, people often make a big deal out of it saying not to do it yourself etc but you really can, very easy.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar
Ok this could be old but I learnt how to do extractions of milia in college...Its really not hard.

Milia is a build up of oil, but your pore isnt big enough for it to get out so it forms into a little ball of oil under the skin.

You cant extract new ones though otherwise it will bleed and hurrrtt so you have to wait a little while for it to soften.

Make sure all your skin is clear..cleansing twice would be gould enough...then exfoiliate. Get a sterilised needle, be carefull though it is not a difficult thing to do..you have to open the pore a little to get the oil ball out so use the needle on top of the milia an then squeeze with a tissue!
...it will come out in the form of a little yellow ball aswel. Its not dangerous atall, people often make a big deal out of it saying not to do it yourself etc but you really can, very easy.

That's how I do it on myself, but depending on where the milia is, it can be difficult. I have some right around the eye and I don't think putting a needle anywhere near your eyeball is such a good idea. Also, some of them can be really deep-rooted and hard to extract at all.

user79

Ugh, I still hate mine! I've been to a few pharmacists and all of the people working there have been completely ignorant what I'm even talking about! I describe the problem and then state "milia" and they don't know.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of sloughing cream that can be applied? Sometimes with retin-a? Has anyone effectively used some kind of eye cream that absolutely prevents the creation of new milia spots?

I really can't afford to go to a dermatologist right now, and it would be for pure vanity reasons anyway as mine are small, but they still bother me...