Milia

candlesxvi

Facial Milia

Is there anyone else who has this??
I've had these bumps underneath my eyes and even on and above my eyelids since I was going through puberty. My mom introduced me to beauty products at a young age, so I'm convinced that mine are from using too-heavy skincare products on that area of my already sensitive skin.
Has anyone had it treated? I want to go to a derm and have it looked at and see what I can do to get rid of them.
In case you don't know what Milia is-

Milia in Adults: Condition, Treatment and Pictures - Overview - VisualDxHealth® this one contains pictures

Milia this is a better explanation of the causes.

jilliandanica

Re: Facial Milia

Sadly I have milia. No cream, scrub, etc. can really get rid of them. I have had the most success by having my derm or esthetician extract them or burn them off. It's painful but the results last longer. I would normally have a chemical peel after they extract them to prevent any scaring that the extractions may cause. Doing this regularly really helped.

I also made changes to my skincare and makeup selections. I like to use oil-free cleansers that have AHA and BHA. Moisturizers and foundations had to be oil-free, even better if silicone free as well. My HG moisturizer has been Peter Thomas Roth's Oil-Free moisturizer. No oil or silicones. Foundation has been tougher but I have tried mmu such as SilkNaturals but have also gambled with oil-free but not silicone free foundations such as Chanel, Cargo, MAC, etc. You really just gotta find out what makes your skin produce more oils. And definitely stick with lighter eye and face creams.

There's no way of getting rid of them forever...but the above definitely helped me keep my milia at bay. HTH!

candlesxvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilliandanica
Foundation has been tougher but I have tried mmu such as SilkNaturals but have also gambled with oil-free but not silicone free foundations such as Chanel, Cargo, MAC, etc. You really just gotta find out what makes your skin produce more oils. And definitely stick with lighter eye and face creams.

There's no way of getting rid of them forever...but the above definitely helped me keep my milia at bay. HTH!

I use BE mineral veil and bisque, do you think mineral makeup is an okay thing to use?

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilliandanica
Sadly I have milia. No cream, scrub, etc. can really get rid of them. I have had the most success by having my derm or esthetician extract them or burn them off. It's painful but the results last longer. I would normally have a chemical peel after they extract them to prevent any scaring that the extractions may cause. Doing this regularly really helped.

I also made changes to my skincare and makeup selections. I like to use oil-free cleansers that have AHA and BHA. Moisturizers and foundations had to be oil-free, even better if silicone free as well. My HG moisturizer has been Peter Thomas Roth's Oil-Free moisturizer. No oil or silicones. Foundation has been tougher but I have tried mmu such as SilkNaturals but have also gambled with oil-free but not silicone free foundations such as Chanel, Cargo, MAC, etc. You really just gotta find out what makes your skin produce more oils. And definitely stick with lighter eye and face creams.

I'd love to switch to lighter creams but I get dry skin, and all the oil free creams I have tried don't give me enough lasting moisture. Especially at night I prefer heavier creams so my skin gets hydrated while I sleep.

I hate my milia, I want to get mine extracted but I have so many tiny bumps and they are not really that big so the extraction would be harder. It's really hard to find a permanent solution. I think genetics plays a big role as well, as what I've read up on the subject online, because my father has the same problem.

Exfoliating the area regular helps as well.

jilliandanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesxvi
I use BE mineral veil and bisque, do you think mineral makeup is an okay thing to use?

I think mineral makeup is probably better but it also just depends on how your skin reacts to it. I tried BE and my skin didn't like it very much...it actually made me feel oilier and gave me a few breakouts and small milias on my cheeks. I think it's the whole buffing the powders into my pores which clogs them and makes them unhappy. SilkNaturals worked a lil better for me and applying with my 187 helped too. The coverage was lighter but I didn't break out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Exfoliating the area regular helps as well.

Exfoliating 2-3x a week with a gentle scrub definitely helps but it isn't ever enough to get to the layer of skin where my milia's live. Nowadays I've just learned to live with the smaller more transparent ones, but the ones that are bigger/whiter I get extracted. They'll never go away but you just gotta make do.

kjaneb

I've gotten them on my eyes and mouth, however this was before I actually knew what they were and I extracted them myself. Thankfully it didn't scar!

karane

Ok this could be old but I learnt how to do extractions of milia in college...Its really not hard.

Milia is a build up of oil, but your pore isnt big enough for it to get out so it forms into a little ball of oil under the skin.

You cant extract new ones though otherwise it will bleed and hurrrtt so you have to wait a little while for it to soften.

Make sure all your skin is clear..cleansing twice would be gould enough...then exfoiliate. Get a sterilised needle, be carefull though it is not a difficult thing to do..you have to open the pore a little to get the oil ball out so use the needle on top of the milia an then squeeze with a tissue!
...it will come out in the form of a little yellow ball aswel. Its not dangerous atall, people often make a big deal out of it saying not to do it yourself etc but you really can, very easy.[/QUOTE

I read this last week and decided to try it as I tried apple cider vinegar which did not work and squeezing them hurt lots and it wouldn't budge! I had 2 on the inner corners of my eyes for about a year. The first one I pricked the skin gently so it didn't hurt with the needle and then squeezed the white ball out! The second one was a bit tough and took 7 gentle pricks to get three white balls out! Yes I squeezed and a white ball came out, then I looked in the mirror and saw another in the same place and again after that another! That one kind of stung like a paper cut for 2 days and was a bit pink. Now you would never know they were there totally clear!
Thank you so much for the advise Sars, I am so happy with the outcome!
th_DANCE.gif

oasis77

Hi everyone!
th_hello2.gif
I am new to this forum. I actually found a way that will get rid of milia under the eye area, which has been bugging me forever! I mean when the skin under your eyes has a bunch of clustered bumps, your makeup looks crappy..well at least mine does!
th_dunno.gif

I basically had a prescription of benzoyl peroxide (BP) ointment for treating acne breakouts. Although you are not supposed to get the BP under the delicate eye area, I had accidentally spread it close to it
th_wallbash.gif
and then my under eye dried out in a few days, and I had trouble applying concealer there, no matter how much I moisturized the area. Then a few days later it began to sting, got red and really irritated...not a pretty sight!
eeksign.gif
My family kept asking me what in the world happened to me?! I told them (as well as my doctor) and they got upset with me!
rants.gif
Later, I figured A&D ointment would calm down the irritation and it did!
bigstar.gif
It took about a couple weeks and my under eye area started to look good and feel smoother, AND surprisingly... NO MORE MILIA!
th_thstars.gif
So basically, the milia had dried up and shriveled off, and all I was left with was smooth skin. Now, I don't recommend this be done because the eyes and the skin underneath is so sensitive and delicate, but if you ask your dermatologist first, are careful and don't mind having your under eye skin looking all dried out, flaky, irritated, and red for a couple weeks, then it may work for you too. I am actually planning to do this again so i can get my other under eye area to be rid of milia too, I just need to make sure that I don't have any special occasions, job interviews etc to attend in the meantime!
Good Luck!!
peace2.gif

P.S. These emoticons are such a riot!
girlhaha.gif

PeachTwist

Personally, I just go and have them extracted. Yes, it hurts, but the results are immediate and within 24hrs I'm good to wear make-up again and my skin is back to being nice and smooth. :)

PeachTwist

Hi everyone!
th_hello2.gif
I am new to this forum. I actually found a way that will get rid of milia under the eye area, which has been bugging me forever! I mean when the skin under your eyes has a bunch of clustered bumps, your makeup looks crappy..well at least mine does!
th_dunno.gif

I basically had a prescription of benzoyl peroxide (BP) ointment for treating acne breakouts. Although you are not supposed to get the BP under the delicate eye area, I had accidentally spread it close to it
th_wallbash.gif
and then my under eye dried out in a few days, and I had trouble applying concealer there, no matter how much I moisturized the area. Then a few days later it began to sting, got red and really irritated...not a pretty sight!
eeksign.gif
My family kept asking me what in the world happened to me?! I told them (as well as my doctor) and they got upset with me!
rants.gif
Later, I figured A&D ointment would calm down the irritation and it did!
bigstar.gif
It took about a couple weeks and my under eye area started to look good and feel smoother, AND surprisingly... NO MORE MILIA!
th_thstars.gif
So basically, the milia had dried up and shriveled off, and all I was left with was smooth skin. Now, I don't recommend this be done because the eyes and the skin underneath is so sensitive and delicate, but if you ask your dermatologist first, are careful and don't mind having your under eye skin looking all dried out, flaky, irritated, and red for a couple weeks, then it may work for you too. I am actually planning to do this again so i can get my other under eye area to be rid of milia too, I just need to make sure that I don't have any special occasions, job interviews etc to attend in the meantime!
Good Luck!!
peace2.gif

P.S. These emoticons are such a riot!
girlhaha.gif
Welcome to Specktra! :)