Moisturizer recommendations for acne-prone dry skin

bjorne_again

Hi everyone! I have weird skin: very oily nose, but it peels frequently and is totally covered in blackheads, and relatively dry cheeks and chin - they sometimes feel tight, but rarely peel, and tend to get zits easily(I'm 24!!!). My skin is also somewhat sensitive - it gets red easily and I can't exfoliate often because of that.

In the last year I started using 2 different moisturizers - La Roche Posay Nutritic for my nose(it hasn't peeled since), and to control the acne on the rest of my face @mosphere's tea tree oil moisturizer. I have loved this combo as it made my skin look great(almost no zits), if i go off the tea tree oil moisturizer for even a day or two I break out. The one crappy thing is it leaves my skin just a bit tighter than i'd like it to. I tried the much more expensive The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil moisturizer, but it was quite a bit more drying than that which I use now.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a light-medium moisturizer that I can use on my cheeks/chin that won't make me break out but is still moisturizing enough for dry winter air? Even a recommendation for a good light-medium moistuizer for sensitive skin would work, too, and maybe I could just add pure tea tree oil to it to stave off zits. Any help would be much appreciated! TIA!

Hilly

Clinique makes an Acne Solutions moisturizer that is da bomb. It has salycilic acid yet it is pretty gentle.

pr1nces583

dermalogica do a moisturiser called active moist that is specially designed for combination and spot prone skin. its light and very good. however, i dont find it quite moisturising enough for winter and i switch to skin smoothing cream which is a bit thicker, but not really for combo skin.

although, i think active moist would probably be ok, as long as it is enough for your facial areas affected by winter.

MariahGem

Oh man, I really want to know what people say about this, because I have the exact same problem!!

Flaky, dry nose, but blackheads that drive me crazy.

I'm currently using the Clinique 3 step system, but the toner/exfoliator has been drying me out recently. But when I skip that step, and just cleanse and moisturize, then I get even flakier!!!
th_dunno.gif

greentwig

Try The Body Shop's Grapeseed Extra Rich Night Cream, the day cream is not enough moisturizing trust me, my skin is very similar to yours. I know what you mean about their tea tree oil stuff, it does the same thing to me.

Here's the link: The Body Shop: Grapeseed Extra Rich Night Cream, face cream, moisturizer, face moisturizer, lotion, face treatment, grapeseed, night, cream, moisturizer, lotion, skin care

I would really like to know how much that cream you use one your nose is... what's the website you get it from too? Thank You!
winkiss.gif

bjorne_again

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentwig
Try The Body Shop's Grapeseed Extra Rich Night Cream, the day cream is not enough moisturizing trust me, my skin is very similar to yours. I know what you mean about their tea tree oil stuff, it does the same thing to me.

Here's the link: The Body Shop: Grapeseed Extra Rich Night Cream, face cream, moisturizer, face moisturizer, lotion, face treatment, grapeseed, night, cream, moisturizer, lotion, skin care

I would really like to know how much that cream you use one your nose is... what's the website you get it from too? Thank You!
winkiss.gif

Thank you! I think I'll go by there and either get them to make me a sample of it or buy it - I wish I'd gotten a sample of the tea tree oil moisturizer before buying it because it was mostly useless.

I'm not sure where you live, but I live in Canada, and La Roche Posay is l'Oreal's high end skin care line and is available at Shopper's Drugmart. It costs $24.00CDN. The nutritic stuff I find really great for stopping drying, and it doesn't make my nose oily/oilier. It doesn't get rid of the blackheads though, but i can cover those easily, but not flaky skin! I can even skip it for a day or two if i forget it when i overnight somewhere and my nose doesn't peel(which was unheard of for any other moisturizer i used to use). It has actually improved my nose's baseline moisture levels - I've never really used a product that worked even after you didn't use it for a day or two.

Here's their website: La Roche-Posay and you can check out the nutritic by clicking on products>face care>dry to very dry skin and it should take you there. I use the 2.5% and it works well, but I bought it before they came out with the 5%, which my sister uses now and loves. Since I only use it on my nose, I don't need much, and I've used it every day for about 10 months before having to replace it, very well worth the money I think! I hope that helps, and thank you for your recommendation, I'll definitely try it!

bartp

Clinique's acne skin line has a good moisturizer (that is not at all drying). For the blackheads I stick to those little white strips. In the long term they seem to work better than exfoliation for me.

and if LaRoche Posay is to your liking, you might try their moisturizers or normal to oily skin. It's also good if you have a sensitive skin.

and Clinique's T-zone controller is also great for keeping oil on the nose under control (without messing with your makeup)

Moisture surge spray is also great when you need that extra boost of moisture

bjorne_again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartp
Clinique's acne skin line has a good moisturizer (that is not at all drying). For the blackheads I stick to those little white strips. In the long term they seem to work better than exfoliation for me.

and if LaRoche Posay is to your liking, you might try their moisturizers or normal to oily skin. It's also good if you have a sensitive skin.

and Clinique's T-zone controller is also great for keeping oil on the nose under control (without messing with your makeup)

Moisture surge spray is also great when you need that extra boost of moisture

Thanks for the tips! Do you know what the name of the clinique moisturizer is? I might be interested in trying it. and the moisturesurge sounds like a great suggestion, too!.

I've actually tried several of La Roche Posay's other moisturizers - I used to really like the Effaclar Active Matte moisturizer, but now i find that while it keeps me from being oily, it makes my skin sting a bit now that i'm not used it it any more, and it never helped improve the zit situation, either. i tried a sample of hydraphase and it didn't do much for me either, but I'm thinking of trying the Effaclar Soothing moisturizer now, just because I like so many of their products. Do you have any specific recommendations for which La Roche Posay moisturizer would help my dry cheeks?

I've tried about 5 different mattifying products and none of them keep my nose from being an oil slick. the best is MAC's blot powder, which isn't even a controlling product, but it works compared to the controlling lotions/gels/products i've tried.

I hate using the white strips though, I don't find they get rid of all my blackheads anyway and they usually irritate my nose. Every month or two I'll just use some kleenex over my fingers and quickly squeeze my nose before bed and that usually keeps the blackheads at bay without irritating my face.
thanks for your tips though, I'll give them a try!

bjorne_again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
Clinique makes an Acne Solutions moisturizer that is da bomb. It has salycilic acid yet it is pretty gentle.

I think I might have to try that
winks.gif
Thank you my dear!

greentwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorne_again
I'm not sure where you live, but I live in Canada, and La Roche Posay is l'Oreal's high end skin care line and is available at Shopper's Drugmart. It costs $24.00CDN. The nutritic stuff I find really great for stopping drying, and it doesn't make my nose oily/oilier. It doesn't get rid of the blackheads though, but i can cover those easily, but not flaky skin! I can even skip it for a day or two if i forget it when i overnight somewhere and my nose doesn't peel(which was unheard of for any other moisturizer i used to use). It has actually improved my nose's baseline moisture levels - I've never really used a product that worked even after you didn't use it for a day or two.

Here's their website: La Roche-Posay and you can check out the nutritic by clicking on products>face care>dry to very dry skin and it should take you there. I use the 2.5% and it works well, but I bought it before they came out with the 5%, which my sister uses now and loves. Since I only use it on my nose, I don't need much, and I've used it every day for about 10 months before having to replace it, very well worth the money I think! I hope that helps, and thank you for your recommendation, I'll definitely try it!

Thanks so much I hate the dry flakey skin, it ruins my MU
ssad.gif

I live in California, hopefully I cant get theis i'll check it out ty vm!
yes.gif

xsnowwhite

i like the murad moisturizer meant for acne prone skin. It's hydrating but doesn't make my skin oily and also helps control my acne.

SweetCheeks

I would also swing by and get samples of Shiseido's Pureness line - it is for acne prone skin, no alcohol in it, and it saved my sister, who had the same problem. I love all of their products so much.

mollythedolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikana
Have you tried Cetaphil? That's what my dermatologist recommended to me.

NOO NOO!

At first, I LOVED it. I ADORED it. Then I ran out (Yes, of the entire cup. It took FOREVER but I emptied it out.) I just started to substitute with my Olay Complete and it cleared out my skin.

It has Macadamia Nut Oil, which cloggled my pores.

And Olay has SPF, and they sell a sensitive skin one.

gymangel812

i like using glycerin + water. you could try jojoba which left my skin really soft but ended up breaking me out. i doesn't break out most people though.

loci

I use Biotherm aquasource non stop (pale green bottle)
also Nu skin skin conditioning gel.

chameleonmary

Having suffered bad acne and currently having oily skin, I swear by Dermalogica Oil Free Moisture Lotion, it sinks into the skin the instant you apply it. A great makeup base too!

athena123

I use camellia oil during the summer and Murad's pomegranate lotion for combo skin in the winter. None of them clog my pores or promote breakouts; if you're still prone to a lot of blackheads and acne, try Murad's lotion for acne prone instead. It's oil free and works very well.

Latest posts