Movies that disturb you :(

luvsic

Hey everyone,

So, I just need a little bit of silly advice...I just watched this SUPER disturbing movie called Blindness, and I have to say after it was done I think I was traumatized. I wanted to see it b/c it looked interesting, but my friend warned me it would be disturbing, and I still went into it thinking I would be ok. Now I have insomnia and it's 3am, I feel like I can't go to sleep because I can't get those mental images out of my head! Now I know I'll get over this eventually, but there was just this horrendous rape scene in the movie that literally made me sick to my stomach, I closed my eyes and covered my ears but I could still hear things in the background...oh it was just horrible.

I don't know why this got so much under my skin, and this may sound silly, but does anyone have any advice on how to get over this really? I am SUCH a baby when it comes to this kind of stuff...it's psychologically thrilling and thought-provoking, but it still bothers me to the point where I can't sleep...

panda0410

Ugh... wolf creek did the same thing to me... I couldnt shake it for a few a weeks, though I didnt have insomnia, just background thoughts that lingered a little too long. Try and preoccupy yourself - attention distraction is the key. If you cant sleep at night try reading a book and taking a warm milk to bed, hop in a warm shower - these will all help you sleep. Eventually it will pass
smiles.gif

aziajs

Hmmmm...there is a movie where Blair Underwood plays a murderer. It seriously creeps me out. I can't remember the title.

ETA: It's called "Just Cause".

Babylard

Saw . . . i sqirmed and squealed throughout the whole movie and vowed to never watch anymore . . .

i just can't watch people be mutilated and decapitated in such a way. *shivers* i was traumatized

luvsic

haha aww thanks ladies, you made me feel a little better
smiles.gif
I think distraction is the best key, my friend is sleeping over right now but you know she won't every night..and I'll be alone upstairs in my room in the dark
ssad.gif
lol i think I'll be sleeping with the light on for a while until I can shake this off!

I'm staying on here for my distraction at the moment!
smiles.gif
It's helping!!

kittykit

There are plenty of movies I find disturbing. I can't watch anything bloody like war movies, SAW, etc. I'm also a chicken when it comes to horror movies! I've pretty good imagination... and I always scare myself
ssad.gif

Try to listen to music, read a book or watch a funny movie. That helps, it works for me.

luvsic

Ooooh I CANNOT do scary or horror movies, especially ones that have lots of blood and gore and unnecessary or cruel & unusual killing.

Blindnesss was more of a psychological thriller with a deeper meaning. It didn't show much, but a lot of the disgusting or disturbing parts were supposed to be assumed. However, I think the gruesome overtones disturbed me more than me actually taking in the point of the movie.

yetch
ssad.gif

spectrolite

I LOVE horror movies and scary movies but for some reason some "realistic" violence freaks me out :| I think it must be because it's plausible, not really unlikely (like being eaten by a zombie). For instance that scene in Pan's Labyrinth where the guy gets killed with the bottle...OMG that really traumatized me. I had no idea the movie would contain such realistic violent scenes. But for some reason I have no problem with Ravenous even though Robert Carlyle was running around murdering and eating people left and right.
th_dunno.gif

luvsic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrolite
I LOVE horror movies and scary movies but for some reason some "realistic" violence freaks me out :| I think it must be because it's plausible, not really unlikely (like being eaten by a zombie). For instance that scene in Pan's Labyrinth where the guy gets killed with the bottle...OMG that really traumatized me. I had no idea the movie would contain such realistic violent scenes. But for some reason I have no problem with Ravenous even though Robert Carlyle was running around murdering and eating people left and right.
th_dunno.gif

LOL..man, at least you can take the unrealistic stuff! I can't even do that, I remember even being scared/traumatized by Shaun of the Dead when that guy was torn apart by a zombie..and that movie was supposed to be funny!!

But yeah I get what you mean by realistic violence. Maybe just the possibility of it being able to happen is what really scares you more...for me it was just super disturbing because these girls were blind and being raped...just their vacant stares at the ceiling and painful cries just made me want to throw up in a bucket - the fact that they were staring SO blankly into space was what disturbed me the MOST for some reason..and I don't mean to spoil but one woman died by being beaten to death because she wasn't "moving enough"...I burst out crying.

I know that this movie's premises is unlikely to happen in real life, but being raped happens in real life and just SEEING that was what mentally got to me. It's not real but it is...something twisted like that.

missfaithy

This is going to sound TERRIBLE...

...but the first set of CHUCKY movies -- (ex. Child's Play) will forever scare the living whoo-haa out of me. The newer Chucky films (that were mainly CG'ed) were still disturbing -- but the older ones will forever strike fear in my heart.

I believe it's the realistic "doll-like" tendencies of the older films. I used to work in the Mall across from a Spencer's (a novelty/gag gift type store) & EVERY Halloween -- Chucky the doll would be at their window display. Let me tell you -- it took all of me to look across & see that little doll each shift.

A friend of mine worked at that Spencer's and knew of my immense fear that on one particular day (that I was working) in a two-hour period she had moved the doll from one window display to the other (from what she said -- every 30 minutes) without my knowledge.

GOODNESS! I freaked out! She had to come across the way & say it was a joke.

YEAH, not that funny.

-- well sort of....now.
th_DANCE.gif

vocaltest

Hmm... I don't know really. I've never seen a movie that's shit me up for days after. Violence/gory stuff doesn't bother me like Saw. The most scary movie I've seen recently was The Strangers... if anyone's seen it, that bit where she's standing in the kitchen and he's in the corner watching her... UGH! Thats horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambchop
Funny Games. Very disturbing.

Oh god, I saw this. It didn't neccessarily scare me, but it just left me with a weird feeling afterwards.

MissResha

The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

About half-way thru, i said "Fuck this" and couldn't finish it.

I was stupid for trying to watch it in the dark in my parents basement with the super surround sound. I couldn't handle it. Scary movies dont bother me at all, but stuff based on true life, and all that devil/angel shit, really freaks me out.

oh, and that movie Juwanna Mann.

Really disturbed me. What kinda shit was that??

concertina

The Ring - messed my shit up. Total fucking head trip.
Requiem for a Dream - Sweet jebus, I hated life after that movie was over.
The Exorcist - seriously...I think I can live the rest of my life happy without seeing someone 'impale' themselves with a crucifix ever again.

BloopBloop

im a total scaredy cat! people at work have a field day trying to startle me, i almost stabbed my co-worker because he came up behind me and i whipped around with a knife in my hand.

i was forced to watch the exorcist in the dark. if i wanted to turn the lights on, that meant i'd have to get up by myself (out of the security of my blankets) walk up to the door and turn the light on-- ahem, too much for me so i covered my eyes so i'd only see 4/5 of the tv.. something i call "triangular vision" because i only see the corner of the tv set. That way, i WAS technically watching =P

BEA2LS

i love scary movies, none of that bothers me.. what movies did disturb me was kids, bully and for some reason butterfly effect kind bugged me out. the doors had me going for awhile, too. trippy movies seem to get to me, lol i have no idea why, they make me feel like im going insane. but kids and bully were just so messed up, it disturbed me.

Ruby_Woo

I am a BIG time movie lover. And as far as disturbing, hmm I haven't really watched anything too bad.

I absolutly loved the movie "Awake" omg! It had such a good plot, and it made me cry when the mother is willing to take her life for her son.

I guess the only movies I've seen that I was like wtf? is Hard Candy, just cus its akward w/ the whole pedophile thing. And "Her name is Carla" I hated that movie, its fricking weird, didn't really get the effin theme of it, and at the end the lady shows pictures of her "daughter" Carla and its a bunch of magazine cut outs of diff girls!! I was like wtf? haha

Other than that I love movies w/ deep meaning, anything that causes you to think outside your box or just in general.

I've noticed that stupid spoof movies, or tween movies are big box office hits, while movies that are well scripted and have great actors, amazing cinematograhy (such as Australia) tend to not make as much movie. And a badly made Twilight was a total success.

Ok Im going off topic so I'll stop.

I still need to watch blindness! Has anyone watched "La mala educasion" (Bad Education) w/ Gael Garcia? That one is pretty weird too.

Doowop

I was disturbed by Cannibal Holocaust..if you really want to have insomnia, do watch it! I couldn't sleep well and the next day I was still thinkign about the movie. It's an exploitation movie but it has a really good social commentary, despite all the gore and disturbing material. Soundtrack is well used too, gave me chills. It is not scary like The Exorcist scary, but very disturbing.

It's the only movie that truly disturbed me at this age. The other movies are those japanese/korean horror flicks of women with long hair and rotten faces.. hate those movies, typical shock tactics, but they never fail to keep me awake at night. Ugh.