MUFE HD Powder and Flash Photos

jetgirl

Uggh, I have some silica powder (an HD dupe) and it looked fantastic, especially over stage makeup. But then some people sent some photos they took with a flash. I look like someone bopped me in the face with a sack of flour. Ackkkk. I had just powdered my face before going onstage. The other girl I was standing next to didn't have the same look. Wahhhh. Two questions:
1) Has anyone else seen this -- is it the powder? Especially with HD. I thought it was made for photography.
2) Could you recommend a good basic "settig" powder -- something a MUA would use?
*sigh*

Odette

TISH1124

Not sure about the Dupe...But the MUFE HD does the exact same thing to me...Looks fabulous...then you get out in the sunlight and I look like a ashy face rolled in flour mess!!! Mine was applied by a MA and I tried it very lightly still looked horrid

jetgirl

Sorry to hear it doesn't work for you, but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! Bummer all the photos from that show are unusable
ssad.gif

TISH1124

Yep I agree ...unfortunately...Although my kid thinks I'm a star
nope.gif
..I am never under professional studio lighting

jetgirl

OK, now I feel sort of justified about the reflective qualities of the silica powder. Because isn't silica the basic component of glass? Form wikipedia:
"Silica is most commonly found in nature as sand or quartz, as well as in the cell walls of diatoms. It is a principal component of most types of glass and substances such as concrete."

jetgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
Yep I agree ...unfortunately...Although my kid thinks I'm a star
nope.gif
..I am never under professional studio lighting

Well, at least yay for our little ones thinking we're stars! I'm glad someone does!
tong.gif

jetgirl

OK, I'm such a weirdo. I put on the powder, then took photos; then I pressed the powder in more and waited a few minutes and took more photos. Then I powdered just half my face and took photos. All the ones with the flash reflected. The worst were the "just powdered" ones, but even the pressed in ones had bits of whitish cast to it. Just thought I'd let people know. Also, my skin is quite dry, so maybe it sits more on top than someone with less dry skin? And I'm very fair. No, I'm not posting the photos 'cause I just have the powder on and was holding the camera at arm's length -- not flattering!

I taught i was the only that this happens too. I went back to Sephora and explained that when i used the MUFE HD powder i was getting a ashy face look in pictures. She told me i was probably using too much. I tried it with a minimal amount on my brush and whenever i take pictures with the flash on i still get a ashy face. So i just stopped using it, shame too it was expensive.

~sweetJB~

The powder seems to work best only to set foundation but not for touch ups. So you set foundation then put on bronzer blush highlight contour and so on and you do not get that ashy reflection in pics.

NicksWifey

When I first got the MUFE HD powder, I loved it. One day I looked in the mirror at work, a couple of hours later and noticed my face looked ashy and had white particles around my nose. Usually, I would apply my foundation, whether it was the MUFE HD foundation or MAC SFF and then I would apply MSF and whatever cheek color and finish it off with the HD powder. I haven't worn it since then but I definitely need to start using a kabuki brush to apply it with instead of using the blush brush I had been using.

MissResha

the best brush ever to apply this kind of primer would be this baby here:

P190257_hero.jpg

not only is it super soft, but its extremely dense. it picks up a great amount of product and evenly buffs it into your skin.

a trick i do is, i take the brush while the sleeve is all the way up. dab it into the powder on the cap. push it in there pretty deep. then pull the sleeve half-way down and buff it into freshly moisturized skin in gentle circular motions for about 60 seconds. then pull the sleeve all the way down and buff for about 30 seconds.

let it set for a few minutes, then i put on my foundation.

you will see the product faintly on your skin but once you apply your foundation u shouldnt see it anymore.

i dont use the MUFE one, but i do use the one from coastal scents and i fucking love it lol.

ShugAvery2001

wow glad i caught this thread. I just got back from the mall and got samples of the HD foundation and the HD powder...

I was having problems with my MAC studio fix in c7. when I take pictures (certain cameras) I look straight yellow in the face... so I thought the MUFE would do me better

The MA also suggested me the HD powder to help me stay matte

whats a girl to do
ssad.gif

jetgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha

P190257_hero.jpg

not only is it super soft, but its extremely dense. it picks up a great amount of product and evenly buffs it into your skin.

a trick i do is, i take the brush while the sleeve is all the way up. dab it into the powder on the cap. push it in there pretty deep. then pull the sleeve half-way down and buff it into freshly moisturized skin in gentle circular motions for about 60 seconds. then pull the sleeve all the way down and buff for about 30 seconds.

you will see the product faintly on your skin but once you apply your foundation u shouldnt see it anymore.

i dont use the MUFE one, but i do use the one from coastal scents and i fucking love it lol.

Wait, you put it under you foundation? I used it as a setting powder. I use Face Atelier so I don't really need a primer.

Ihave that brush -- it's one of my favorites!

jetgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugAvery2001

whats a girl to do
ssad.gif

I ordered some Ben Nye powder!
th_LMAO.gif
Meant for the stage and MUAs love it.

autumnschild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha

P190257_hero.jpg

i use this brush to apply it too. or a wider/rounder shaped kabuki. i think it picks up less powder than the rounder kabuki and i think that's a good thing. just a very tiny tap is good for my whole face. it's supposed to be colorless but it does make me look a teeny bit paler. it's hardly noticable. that or my foundation is a shade too dark for me and so the hd evens it out..haha. anyway i love how it makes my face look in photos. it blurs out all my grossness and makes my skin look soft and smooth.

Stephy171

i use the same kabuke brush mentioned above and i love it!!! i do use it lightly and i love hw it finishes the look off... one time in fotos i noticed the ASH look lol so i stopped using it for a while MUFE HD lol forgot to mention..... but then i started using fix and it took care of that so i guess thats my solution.. also gets rid of that powdery look.... i lovee Fix +

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy171
i use the same kabuke brush mentioned above and i love it!!! i do use it lightly and i love hw it finishes the look off... one time in fotos i noticed the ASH look lol so i stopped using it for a while MUFE HD lol forgot to mention..... but then i started using fix and it took care of that so i guess thats my solution.. also gets rid of that powdery look.... i lovee Fix +

Are you spraying Fix+ after you've set the foundation with HD finishing powder?

TIA

Odette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugAvery2001
wow glad i caught this thread. I just got back from the mall and got samples of the HD foundation and the HD powder...

I was having problems with my MAC studio fix in c7. when I take pictures (certain cameras) I look straight yellow in the face... so I thought the MUFE would do me better

whats a girl to do
ssad.gif

Try the MUFE Super Matt Loose Powder instead.

I have found the best combo for my oily skin is MUFE All Mat primer, Mat Velvet Foundation and the loose powder.