MUFE Mat Velvet discussion

monter

I just bought a bottle of Velvet Mat +, but before playing with it, I thought I'd come here to see if you ladies have any tips on the best way to apply it.
greengrin.gif

Is a primer a must for it? If so, is silicone based best? (I have a sample of Smashbox and a sample of MAC's SPF50, but I usually use Lorac's oil-free primer, which is not silicone based.)

What brush is best to use with it? I have NO face brushes. I usually use fingers, or the brush that came with my UD Surreal Skin cream-to-powder compact. I searched the main MUFE thread and saw that some people like the 109 or 187/88 with it. Thoughts on this? Any other brush suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
greengrin.gif

shy_makeup_girl

Re: Velvet Mat + application

Hey!
I use Mat Velvet + with the 109 and it's gorgeousssss
greengrin.gif

only drawback using the 109: sheds like MAD.
when i mean mad, i mean hair alllll over your face
ssad.gif

so a good alternative would be the 187, although I have not tried it yet with that foundation.

Since i am usually at school the entire day, i apply MUFE's green primer and it lasts allll day. I have oily skin, for reference
smiles.gif

I think if you have normal skin, you could skip the primer

hope that helps! and it's a lovely foundation :p

monter

I have oily skin too (why I went with Mat Velvet instead of HD), so I'll try it with the primers I have first.. but keep the green one in mind. I have a lot of redness in my face, so I've been eyeing that one for a while anyway. :p

Thanks! I'll for sure check out the 109 then. I don't mind shedding if it gives awesome application.

xxManBeaterxx

I used to use the 109 brush, but after just 2 years of use i had to throw it away since it started shedding like a mad dog!

I love the 130 now, it's such a cute yet dense brush. You can create a light or heavier coverage with this brush. Plus it doesn't shed!!

summerblue

I'm desperately waiting for them to make the 130 in the same size brush head as the 187. {drool}

genduk26

i use smashbox foundation brush #13 or MUFE HD Brush 30N. Synthetic & nylon brushes are good for cream to liquid foundation or creme blush. i think MAC 109 is for powder products.
I use MUFE all mat as face primer.

I have oily face too.
ssad.gif
i hope velvet mat + will work for you
yes.gif

monter

Hmm, now I have to make the decision, lol. 109, 130, or Smashbox 13 or MUFE 30N. Oi.
lol.gif

Thanks for being so helpful, ladies! I'm a liquid foundation newbie (or at least with brushes - I've used drugstore liquids with my fingers before), so it looks like I have some brush research ahead of me before I get to try this bad boy out.

Thanks all!
smiles.gif

Simply Elegant

I use a 187 and I know this is not good for brushes, but I use a hair band tied around the brush right under the ferrule for a flawless medium coverage finish so that way I barely use any foundation.

Temptasia

Clean Fingers fan here.

I think brush application is overrated...an extra tool and expense that wastes product.

Curly1908

I use a 109, and I get compliments that my "skin" looks beautiful rather than when I used to use sponges/fingers and people said my "makeup" looks beautiful.
smiles.gif

monter

Update!

I got a 109, and love the stipple/buff method. I am finding that the foundation isn't that long lasting on me, though.. sort of separates or sinks into my pores or something after a few hours. Just.. doesn't look nearly as nice as it did when I put it on! Could be because I'm not using a primer (other than the pore minimizing one from MAC on my nose/cheeks) or just because it's been REALLY gross and humid in Chicago over the past week or so.

I'm going to try my cheapie VS primer tomorrow, and if that doesn't help, I'll be brave and finally use my Smashbox sample.

Mabelle

Lack of primer is probably the issue. If your oily, i wouldnt suggest the smashbox one, as it has silicone in it.... which is technically an oil. Ones to look at are the green one by MUFE, MUFE all matt, Laura Mercier's oil free and Korres regular or the anti aging one.
I say the antiaging because it can help with disoclouration and texture.
Also, you need to set that baby like no ones buisness. i like the MUFE HD powder, but any silica will do you right.If you have a sephora around, go and ask for samples of the primers!

monter

I do have a sample of the Korres primer. I don't think the silicone VS one helped. Thanks for the other suggestions; I've been wanting to try both the green and blue MUFE primers - and I've heard good things about Laura Mercier...

I have been setting with MAC MSFN, but I don't know if I've been using enough... and it probably makes no difference since I'm having primer issues anyway
tong.gif

makeba

I use MUFE matt velvet and love it. I apply it with the Sonya Kashuk blending sponge (damp) and love how it glides on my face. Since I have an oily t-zone I use Korres face primer and its awesome and helps my foundation stay put and look fresh all day.

JustAddSparkles

I'm glad this thread exists b/c I just bought this foundation yesterday thinking it'd be hg material....and I don't like it.

I applied it with my 190 foundation brush and applied the MAC prep & prime pore primer on T zone then all mat primer on the rest of my face. I feel like I had a really hard time blending the foundation in and is it me or does it dry VERY quickly when you first apply it?

I want to love this because I'm obsessed with my MAC Studio Sculpt, but it transfers too much for my oily/combo skin in the summer!
ssad.gif

monter

It does dry quickly, but I don't really have a problem blending it fast enough with my 109.

I haven't gotten a chance to pick up a sample of the MUFE primer yet. I hope I can soon, because none of the ones I'm using now work. Still separates or sinks into my pores and just looks... weird. I might end up exchanging it for HD, as much as I'd rather have a Velvet finish.
ssad.gif

JustAddSparkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by monter
It does dry quickly, but I don't really have a problem blending it fast enough with my 109.

I haven't gotten a chance to pick up a sample of the MUFE primer yet. I hope I can soon, because none of the ones I'm using now work. Still separates or sinks into my pores and just looks... weird. I might end up exchanging it for HD, as much as I'd rather have a Velvet finish.
ssad.gif

This is what I've been considering doing too. I only gave the foundation a day, but I know what you mean about the seperating. It looks unnatural, not flawless like I think it should (for almost 40 dollars haha).

genduk26

i don't have a problem blending it but it doesn't last long as i want. it's water resistant but it fades away on my oily face after 3 - 4 hours. it's still one of my favorite foundation though.

i hope someday MUFE makes waterproof, sweat & tear proof & matte finish foundations.

Odette

@ JustAddSparkles
Try spraying your face with Fix+ before application, it should give you a little more blending time.

JustAddSparkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette
@ JustAddSparkles
Try spraying your face with Fix+ before application, it should give you a little more blending time.

I sprayed it during actually.

Look at how it applied, now I'm not new to applying foundation and usually do a damn good job- but this looks gross and blotchy. I think I'm returning today for the LM foundation.
20pudg9.jpg